About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 6418 times)
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:55:32 PM »

I have stopped staring at my navel just long enough to say, my, this is the most interesting thread I have ever read.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34:33 AM »

Porque Espanol es de Espana.
W0DLM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 07:01:31 AM »

ra·di·o
   /ˈreɪdiˌoʊ/ Show Spelled [rey-dee-oh] noun,plural-di·os, adjective, verb,-di·oed, -di·o·ing.
–noun
1. wireless telegraphy or telephony: speeches broadcast by radio.
2. an apparatus for receiving or transmitting radio broadcasts.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »

"We've had spaghetti at our house three times this month." ... Lucille van Pelt

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.

Excellent quote! I'll have to remember that after I stop laughing.

Fortunately, California restaurants have been smoke-free for fifteen years now.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 10:01:49 PM »

If a tin whistle is made out of tin...

what do they make fog horns out of?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 05:28:48 AM »

Cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny.

73 de Jim "we feed the baby garlic so we can find him in the dark" N2EY
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 04:02:57 PM »

How economists think...

If we had some ham, we could have some ham and eggs...if we had some eggs.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2010, 04:09:44 PM »

Decode this secret message and  win a free jar of Ovaltine!

Question:  F  U  N  E  X?

Answer:  S, V  F  X.

Question:  F  U  N  E  M?

Answer:  S,  V  F  M.

Response: O  K,  L  F  M  N  X.
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2010, 04:13:14 PM »

HELP!!!  Where's my medication?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

Hey.

Who you callin' a F U N E X?
N8CMQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

I polished off the last of the ham....
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2010, 06:28:06 PM »

Not to throw a wet blanket on on the "PLAY ON WORDS". game.. (capital letters used intentionally)

If you were to research the term "HAM" radio, although the meaning is lost to the ages, there are several "theories" as to the origin of the term "HAM" radio.  Some think it was the initials of three men who were involved at the start of the movement that became "HAM" radio. They were HYRUM, ALMAY, and MAXIM.  Still others think it may have originated with a popular magazine of the day that frequently had articles on the construction of AMATEUR radio equipment. The name of the magazine was "HOME AMATEUR MECHANIC". when amateur radio operators (of that period) were asked "where did you get the plans for that radio, or what kind of radio are you operating, instead of taking the time to respond with "I'm using one of those HOME AMATEUR MECHANIC" sets, they shortened it to "HAM radio". Other theories started with very amateurish CW ops being called HAM FISTED, and that term "HAM" just migrated to refer to ANYONE using a RADIO to transmit in the newly formed Amateur Radio Service....(begin Andy Rooney Voice)  I Wonder WHY it's called a SERVICE? when most HAM radio operators are only involved in CONTESTING, HOBBY / PASTIME, and other adventures that are certainly more SELF-SERVING than an actual "SERVICE" to anyone... (end Andy Rooney Voice) .  There are probably a dozen other theories as to why the amateur radio hobby is referred to as HAM radio, and the operators of said equipment are called HAMs, but that is a Google exercise for another day. (try it ... you'll LIKE IT)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:37 AM »

Some think it was the initials of three men who were involved at the start of the movement that became "HAM" radio. They were HYRUM, ALMAY, and MAXIM.

Urban legend. There's no record of the first two names ever being involved.

Still others think it may have originated with a popular magazine of the day that frequently had articles on the construction of AMATEUR radio equipment. The name of the magazine was "HOME AMATEUR MECHANIC". .

Nope. Another myth.

Other theories started with very amateurish CW ops being called HAM FISTED, and that term "HAM" just migrated to refer to ANYONE using a RADIO to transmit in the newly formed Amateur Radio Service.....

Sort of.

About 100 years ago, the term "ham" was common slang for someone who did a thing only for fun, and who wasn't very good at it. IOW, more enthusiasm than skill or talent. It is still sometimes applied to actors of a certain type.

It was a put-down.

btw, it is not an acronym and should not be written in all capital letters. It's "ham radio" not "HAM radio".

I Wonder WHY it's called a SERVICE?

Because that's the term FCC uses to distinguish different kinds of radio in the regulations.

Here's one for you: Where did the USB/LSB tradition come from in ham radio? (We use LSB on 160/80/40, but USB on 20 and higher).

Why?

It's not because there were early SSB rigs with 9 MHz SSB generators and 5 MHz VFOs. The tradition was in place before they existed. 

73 de Jim, N2EY
K4ZMV

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 07:42:38 AM »

Hey, Phil ... must not be many engineers on this site.  I thing RPN went over their head.

73, Jim, K4ZMV
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: