Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What was the purpose of the Extra License?  (Read 29332 times)
KB1SF

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2014, 02:15:56 AM »

Keith -- do you also take the stance that the license classes in non-US countries that dictate how much power output a licensee can transmit serve no regulatory purpose Huh  what is it about the Extra specifically that you find superfluous in a regulatory sense  Huh
please do not refer me to your blog, but feel free to copy from there and paste it here  Wink

Actually,  Rob, I've ALREADY replied to these and similar questions from you in these forums on numerous occasions, most recently in one of my last responses to you under the "Grandfather Advanced Class to Extra?" discussion.

So, rather than repeating it all here AGAIN, I suggest you simply go back and re-read my responses to you there.  

What's more (and as I've repeatedly said) you (and others) can always read and comment on my detailed proposals regarding these (and similar) issues on my ham radio blog at kb1sf.blogspot.com.

Keith
KB1SF/ VA3KSF/ IV3KBU
kb1sf.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:25:37 AM by KB1SF » Logged
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2014, 09:23:12 AM »

Quote from: K9AIM

Keith -- do you also take the stance that the license classes in non-US countries that dictate how much power output a licensee can transmit serve no regulatory purpose Huh  what is it about the Extra specifically that you find superfluous in a regulatory sense  Huh
please do not refer me to your blog, but feel free to copy from there and paste it here  Wink
[/quote]

Quote from: KB1SF
Actually,  Rob, I've ALREADY replied to these and similar questions from you in these forums on numerous occasions, most recently in one of my last responses to you under the "Grandfather Advanced Class to Extra?" discussion.

So, rather than repeating it all here AGAIN, I suggest you simply go back and re-read my responses to you there. 

What's more (and as I've repeatedly said) you (and others) can always read and comment on my detailed proposals regarding these (and similar) issues on my ham radio blog at kb1sf.blogspot.com.

Keith
KB1SF/ VA3KSF/ IV3KBU
kb1sf.blogspot.com

Roll Eyes at least provide a direct link (or the date of the entry!) to the part of your blog which refers to what you say on this, but copying it from there and pasting it here would be the best way to ensure it gets read -- and would only take you a couple of mouse clicks...  Roll Eyes

perhaps if you stuck an index at the top of your blog more people would find it reader-friendly...
KB1SF

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »

Roll Eyes at least provide a direct link (or the date of the entry!) to the part of your blog which refers to what you say on this, but copying it from there and pasting it here would be the best way to ensure it gets read -- and would only take you a couple of mouse clicks...  Roll Eyes

perhaps if you stuck an index at the top of your blog more people would find it reader-friendly...

Unfortunately, Rob, right now I'm "on the road" (in IV3-Land) with a very balky tablet computer and an extremely unreliable Internet connection.  Therefore, I have no way to do "mouse clicks" or any "cutting and pasting".  

So, for the moment at least, all I am able to do is to direct people to my blog.

73 and Ciao from Italy,

Keith
KB1SF/ VA3KSF/ IV3KBU
kb1sf.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:38:42 AM by KB1SF » Logged
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2014, 08:01:17 PM »

RR, Keith.  Whenever you have time, if you will make accessing your comments on this topic more easily accessible (and less time-consuming) i shall look forward to reading them.

Rob K9AIM
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:40 AM »

Another incentive would be preferred callsigns - which eventually happened in the 1970s.

One of the few (only?) tangible benefits of passing the Extra during the period when Generals and Conditionals had full privileges was the ability to qualify for a 1 X 2 callsign, if you had been licensed for 20 (!) years.  I believe this ended at the inception of incentive licensing.  As I recall one didn't have any input into which callsign was issued...the FCC picked an available one for you.  As a Novice I travelled to Chicago to take my General with another General class ham who took his Extra.  Carried his Vibroplex bug into the exam to take the sending test.  Got his Extra and 1 X 2 too, although he had no idea what his call would be for a couple of months until his new ticket showed up.  That would have been 1965.

The program that began in the seventies offered prefered format callsigns to Extras, and allowed applications for specific calls based on how long one had held the Extra license.  Thus various "windows" opened for applicants based on their license date.  I remember friends sweating out certain calls, hoping they would still be available when their window opened.  The program was eventually terminated, if I remember correctly, when some improprieties were discovered concerning who got what call.  I think allegations were made that folks that were well connected to individuals within the FCC itself had actually offered monetary compensation in order to be issued specific callsigns.  Do you remember that Jim?  Fact check my memory if you can.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2014, 06:44:06 AM »

Another incentive would be preferred callsigns - which eventually happened in the 1970s.

One of the few (only?) tangible benefits of passing the Extra during the period when Generals and Conditionals had full privileges was the ability to qualify for a 1 X 2 callsign, if you had been licensed for 20 (!) years.  I believe this ended at the inception of incentive licensing.

Not exactly. What happened was that the requirements for those callsigns changed over time. Incentive licensing didn't end the process at all.

As I recall one didn't have any input into which callsign was issued...the FCC picked an available one for you.  As a Novice I travelled to Chicago to take my General with another General class ham who took his Extra.  Carried his Vibroplex bug into the exam to take the sending test.  Got his Extra and 1 X 2 too, although he had no idea what his call would be for a couple of months until his new ticket showed up.  That would have been 1965.

The program that began in the seventies offered prefered format callsigns to Extras, and allowed applications for specific calls based on how long one had held the Extra license.  Thus various "windows" opened for applicants based on their license date.  I remember friends sweating out certain calls, hoping they would still be available when their window opened.  The program was eventually terminated, if I remember correctly, when some improprieties were discovered concerning who got what call.  I think allegations were made that folks that were well connected to individuals within the FCC itself had actually offered monetary compensation in order to be issued specific callsigns.  Do you remember that Jim?  Fact check my memory if you can.

The program went through a bunch of changes over time. Yes, there was a scandal in the 1970s, in which an FCC employee was found to be giving preferential treatment to certain callsign applications for money.

IMHO, it would have been a better idea back-when if incentive licensing had not caused anyone to lose privileges, but rather opened up more privileges to those who upgraded. For example, allow Extras to run more than 1 kW power input, have preferred calls (not just 1x2 but 1x3), and, when new modes and bands came along, allow Extras to use them first.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KD6VM

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 11:43:06 AM »

And just how did Byron Goodman, longtime DX editor of QST get the FCC issued callsign W1DX?

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »

And just how did Byron Goodman, longtime DX editor of QST get the FCC issued callsign W1DX?
After the end of WWII, the FCC overhauled the assignment of call signs.  One of the new rules was a provision that someone who previously held any two letter call sign could get a new one.

An Overview of Amateur Call Signs - Past and Present
QST May 1994, pp. 54-59
There's some history behind that call sign of yours - check it out!

He previously held W1JPE, W6CAL(1936), and most likely, an early 2 letter call.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 12:42:44 PM by W1VT » Logged
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 04:30:15 PM »

When first issued it was for prestige. Later on frequencies were taken from the advanced and general and given to the advanced and extra (more to the extra) as a reward for advanced knowledge in Amateur Radio.

73s

K2OWK
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 09:50:24 PM »

I can remember when 80m cw was from 3500-3750 khz! The phone portion was much smaller,especially for Generals. General started at 3890,Advanced 3800,and Extra at 3750 I think. Today it`s just the opposite. The Extra phone portion starts at 3600. Remember when rtty ops used to use that area? Back in the day Generals and above had plenty of cw spectrum. Now it`s much smaller. It makes more sense today(I think)to have an Extra. That bottom 25 khz is like gold if you like dx. I have had several stateside qso`s there too.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: