The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham license plates  (Read 5745 times)
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 09:31:47 PM »

I don't want to known as a ham...

Perhaps my attitude seems to divert from the spirit of ham radio.

Perhaps???
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:03 AM »

I don't want to known as a ham so I would never dream of getting a vanity plate.  You've got to realize that today's thieves are very sophisticated so if they happen to see a vanity plate with an amateur radio call on it and they happen to be to the mood for some two way radio adventure they can easily target your vehicle.  Also, all the guys I know who have their call signs on their license plates are usually the biggest blow hards.  Since I don't want to associate with such crass chubbly wubblies I also don't want to follow in their footsteps and have my call sign on my license plate.  Perhaps my attitude seems to divert from the spirit of ham radio.  Well perhaps it does because I find most of the ham radio guys I know on the air and in person have this weirdness that I never ascribed to. Such as the following traits (sorry if this reads as a stereo type):  Fat, unfit, old, slightly demented, hoaders, grouchy, self centered, ego centric without any credible reason to be so, know it alls, tough speaking testosterone free, and no real relationships.  When I look back at over nine years of ham radio experience I realize that I had a totally different expectation about ham radio when I got into it.  Although I have carved out a small defined group of people that I relate to, the majority of hams follow the above traits. On the subject of following ham radio trends,  I freely admit that I have no interest to migrate to Dayton like the rest of the lemmings for the experience of going to the biggest garbage dump and radio flea infested hamfest in the world.  So again, no thank you to ham vanity license plates.

Wow. Really? I'm sorry you feel that way.
Maybe you should just let your license lapse and walk away if it bothers you that much.
The biggest shame of it all is that you obviously haven't had the pleasure of associating with the same group of hams I have.

This is a group I am proud to be a part of.
In my experience, over the past 38 years, I have found amateur radio to be a grand fraternity.
No matter where you go, you can find someone with whom you share a common interest.
I've met some of the best and nicest people from all walks of life through this hobby.

Hams are just like everyone else for the most part. They will tend to treat you the way you treat them.
Oh sure, there are some hams who resemble your stereotype. But certainly not all of them.
In fact, I'd say your stereotype fits a only small minority of hams.

You can sit home and sulk if you want to.
As for this lemming, I'm going to Dayton in about 2 weeks.
And I'm going to have a great time at Hamvention, no matter what happens.
Because I have decided that is what is going to happen.
Heck you can almost work DXCC in the lunch room WITHOUT a radio.
And, I will be proudly sporting call letter plates on my car.  

Boogity, Boogity! .....Road Trip!!!

73 de N8AUC
Eric

« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 12:22:21 PM by N8AUC » Logged
K9PYO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »

Re the click-bait comment (KC2QYM) - "Such as the following traits (sorry if this reads as a stereo type (sic)):  Fat, unfit, old, slightly demented, hoaders (sic), grouchy, self centered, ego centric (sic) without any credible reason to be so, know it alls, tough speaking testosterone free, and no real relationships." .........................Concerning K9PYO, I have circled the sun 71 times in my lifetime and became a ham at the age of 14.  Contrasting the descriptors, I offer the following regarding yours-truly:  Fat (no), unfit (no), old (no - 71 - the new 39), slightly demented (no), hoarders (no), grouchy (no - I SAID NO), self centered (no), egocentric without any credible reason to be so (no - I have reason), know it alls (no), tough speaking testosterone free (partially no), and no real relationships (not true).  And have had auto license plates with my call continuously since 1968.  To each his own!
KK4MSE

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 05:55:24 PM »

I have considered the Ham call plates, but I won't get it until
I pass the general. Besides that I'm a little concerned about privacy.
KK4MSE.
KD8OSD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 04:59:51 AM »

I don't want to known as a ham so I would never dream of getting a vanity plate.  You've got to realize that today's thieves are very sophisticated so if they happen to see a vanity plate with an amateur radio call on it and they happen to be to the mood for some two way radio adventure they can easily target your vehicle.  Also, all the guys I know who have their call signs on their license plates are usually the biggest blow hards.  Since I don't want to associate with such crass chubbly wubblies I also don't want to follow in their footsteps and have my call sign on my license plate.  Perhaps my attitude seems to divert from the spirit of ham radio.  Well perhaps it does because I find most of the ham radio guys I know on the air and in person have this weirdness that I never ascribed to. Such as the following traits (sorry if this reads as a stereo type):  Fat, unfit, old, slightly demented, hoaders, grouchy, self centered, ego centric without any credible reason to be so, know it alls, tough speaking testosterone free, and no real relationships.  When I look back at over nine years of ham radio experience I realize that I had a totally different expectation about ham radio when I got into it.  Although I have carved out a small defined group of people that I relate to, the majority of hams follow the above traits. On the subject of following ham radio trends,  I freely admit that I have no interest to migrate to Dayton like the rest of the lemmings for the experience of going to the biggest garbage dump and radio flea infested hamfest in the world.  So again, no thank you to ham vanity license plates.

Ain't you just a ray of sunshine.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »

If you have call plates, what happens with you guys that buy a new call every year or so??

KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »

Tennessee, the plates go with the owner, not the vehicle, so the Ham Plates go to the new vehicle. Ohio was the same way.

KF7CG
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 04:06:54 AM »

Same in Tejas.
KD8OSD

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »

If you have call plates, what happens with you guys that buy a new call every year or so??

In Michigan you just transfer the plate.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »

Tennessee, the plates go with the owner, not the vehicle, so the Ham Plates go to the new vehicle. Ohio was the same way.

KF7CG

He asked about getting a new call, not car, every year or two.  Wink
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2016, 11:14:43 AM »

...what happens with you guys that buy a new call every year or so??

How many hams change their callsigns that often?  Usually, most hams keep their call for a lifetime, maybe once changing to a shorter one.
KI0QS

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:10 AM »

Not only are they free in Texas, You can have the callsign on more than one vehicle.  Easiest way to remember your plate #, and also a gives an opportunity to inform people what amateur radio is all about.
W9RND

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2016, 09:57:52 AM »

what is the skinny on getting the plates now that the FCC does not send printed licenses?  
Is printing off a black & white copy from the FCC ULS to show the DMV or BMV sufficient proof?

or does one need to go to the FCC ULS and request a duplicate license?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 01:55:44 PM by W9RND » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: