eHam Help (FAQ)
Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Author Topic: What to do with the Advanced Class  (Read 45374 times)

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2018, 03:31:15 PM »

I did the dirty deed on Feb 10 this year. I wanted to push myself to get up to speed on things like digital, symbol rate, mesh, giga-giga Hz, earth stations (I always thought that I had an earth station) and radios apparently made without hardware. I got the Advanced and 1st Phone/Radar in one sitting in Philly in 1979 (actually, in 1 hour, because I misunderstood the FCC guy's instructions.)

So, I bought the Handbook. I got an RSP1 just before they improved it $@xx^^%! I'd still rather read the Bill Orr book for many of my interests. I subscribed to QEX for the first time; much more interesting than the QSTs these days. I am now a fan of Maynard Wright and his Octave series. Working through the math is interesting, and I get excited when I can understand it and do the programming. I like the articles regarding phase noise and IMD and IP3. Wes always harped on that, and I'm going to build the two RF generators in EMRFD to be able to put some of the IMD stuff in practice, not only with my old boatanchors, but with my homebrew projects. I do have a lot of time on my hands to do the technical stuff. I got a 100 MHz bandwidth Rigol scope as a Christmas present from my son to replace my Tektronix 515A. No real spectrum analyzer yet, but I am pleased with my PHSNA that I built. I still love ER magazine, and AM interests me for the first time in over 50 years.

It's a great time to be alive.

Ted, KX4OM
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:38:55 PM by KX4OM » Logged

« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2018, 07:10:08 AM »

How about this:  When an Advanced takes the Extra test, he gets an automatic credit for half the questions on that Extra test. As the Advanced back in the day was halfway from General to Extra.  So, instead of starting with 0% before he starts answering any questions, he'd start with 50%.  I don't remember the exact number of questions on the test, or how many correct you need to pass, but lets say there's 50 questions, and you need a 70% score to pass, so the Advanced only need to get 30% correct to pass, as 30+50=70. 

Okay, not the brightest idea I've ever had...   Grin

« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2018, 10:45:22 AM »

btw - I earned my Advanced in the summer of 1968. I was 14 and had been a ham for less than a year. A few weeks later, I started high school. Two years later, I earned the Extra - because, back then, there was an experience requirement for Extra.

In the Spring of  1979 I was able to take and pass the 20wpm code test, the Advanced written, and the Extra class written in one sitting at the FCC office in Honolulu.

That became possible in the 1970s because FCC reduced the experience requirement to 1 year and then completely eliminated it. Not sure of the exact dates but it was definitely gone by 1978.

The experience requirement was of dubious value, really, because there was no requirement to actually use the license for anything during the 1 or 2 year period.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Jump to: