The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An estate sale where I saw some evidence of a novice licensee  (Read 678 times)
WA2ISE

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2016, 12:24:51 PM »

No, didn't find a transmitter or a receiver, but I did find some PL259 connectors and some ARRL books on electrical theory and an operating manual, from around 1970.  And part of what looks like a RF field meter. But it didn't look like whoever went very far in ham radio.  And a few homebrew devices I bought for parts.  One was a metal box with a buzzer and some switches, never did figure out what its purpose was.  Not that I much worried about that.   Saw the remains of exploration into other hobbies around there as well.   Cheesy

Ever run across garage sales with ham related items mixed in with other random stuff?
W3DBB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:01:09 AM »

Had one pretty nice haul that way. The SK was a pre-1987 Technician (1970's vintage) and W.W.II veteran. He had been deceased for 10 years when I stumbled onto the yard sale of his equipment. It was many items at bulk prices. HQ-170, Yaesu FT -470, Yaesu FT-208R, couple of Clegg HTs, box of numerous Amphenol connectors, several mobile antennas of various descriptions, headphones, old Callbooks & other books about ham radio, a large number of pieces & parts, old ordnance containers used as toolboxes, even the guy's Sgt. stripes and a copy of his license. The SK had also been involved in sound recording (taping) and CB. He lived over the hill from my location and had been inactive for many years.

Some of the CB stuff may have been collectable but owing to my lack of interest and the fact I am not a reseller, the CB stuff was left for someone else. I think I removed two loads from that sale. There didn't seem to be much interest in the ham radio, tape recording, and CB stuff and that was all there was at this sale. I was their only customer both times I was there. This is a remote area and I was unaware of any signage or advertising of the yard sale.

The daughter-in-law was trying to push the CB stuff on me. Tan as a piece of toast. I appreciated her effort but the SK's son (also a ham or former ham) and daughter-in-law just wanted the stuff gone and a few bucks for it. I got the impression what sent unsold was hauled to the dump.

Like the tourist ads proclaim, "Only in Pennsylvania". 
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 09:59:07 AM »

Yep, could have been a CBer.  Many of them were trying to learn as much as they could in order to improve their signals.  By the way, some of that old time "vintage" CB gear is going for pretty good prices on ebay now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: