Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MROP and GROL Testing  (Read 2287 times)
WI9NDY

Ignore
« on: January 16, 2010, 04:54:24 AM »

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to taking my test for Marine Radio Operator Permit (element 1) and then the General Radiotelephone Operator License (element 3)at a later date?

Will the MROP element 1 credit be applied to the GROL if I take it at a later date?

Thanks
Rich K9WG (ex. WI9NDY)
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 11:44:50 PM »

To me, element 1 was fairly simple, so I took both 1 and 3 on the same day. Then I went back another day for GMDSS and radar. I figured that the fewer testing days was easier. I may have taken then all 4 in one day, but I didn't have study materials all at one time.

Bernie
N2JTX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »

I see this is almost five years old BUT I have the exact same question. I could take and pass element 1 today and was wondering if that is feasible as I could then focus on elements 3 and 8. There is a lot of material in 3 and 8 (luckily some review from my EE and ham days) and I would rather not sit for three elements at one session. I assume having the MROP qualifies as credit towards the GROL.
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:59:14 AM »

Interesting thread and one I did not expect to see here on E-Ham.    Let me relate my misadventure of the commercial license.   I had a 2nd class radiotelephone license in 1968 because my employer of the time, Sylvania, would pay 15 cents per hour more. Studied and passed and enjoyed the big raise. Since I've been in medical x-ray for the last 42 years, I did not need or use that license and let it lapse.
Over last Christmas holiday, I got to thinking that when I retire, it would be nice to work for a small radio station... sort of like WKRP.   Delusional, I know now.
So I checked the web for resources, saw it is now a general radiotelephone operator's license, and took elements 1 and 3 at the same time. It barely takes an hour to do both.....got a 100% on element 1 and one wrong on element 3 so I did pass.   Next, I inquired at the FCC and got the shock of my life..... you no longer need a radio license to run a broadcast station in the USA. The station is licensed and qualifications are set by the station owners.    Dang !      They mostly want people with networking and computer experience according to the people I spoke with.  So much for WKRP. Back to Ham Radio I guess.           73, Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: