The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reciprocal licensing, Netherlands to US  (Read 2177 times)
N4SVA

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2008, 05:32:44 PM »

Does anyone in the know whether a ham with a 'N' class license in the Netherlands can operate in the US?

I was unsure whether CEPT would cover that specific license class.

Our club email address had a query from a dutchman that was visiting the area soon and he was wanting to know.

Thanks!
N5LRZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:03:56 AM »

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/io/cept-info.html

Note the List of countries button on the top of the page.  Click that button for a list of CEPT countries.
G8ITB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 06:24:48 AM »

The Dutch "N" class licence is obtained with an elementary examination and covers VHF/UHF and portions of HF with a 25 watt limit. It is a "Novice" licence.
As such it is a local arrangement and does not come within the sphere of CEPT Class 1 licences, nor the TR/61/62 treaties by the European Radiocommunications Office in Denmark - therefore it cannot be used for any CEPT international treaty arrangement.
Sorry - but your enquirers "N" class is valid ONLY in the Netherlands, other European licencing authorities may allow a "one to one" arrangement on individual application only (if they feel like it!).

Note: That whatever you may be told there are very few CEPT countries with a current CEPT 2 licence in existance and none are internationally valid under the TR treaties.

Richard Perzyna
G8ITB
KA1VF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »

In the 1970's my company had a Software Engineer from the Netherlands living and working
legally (Green card) Stateside for ten years before he moved back home after a Stateside divorce.
He was a Netherlands licensed Ham with a PA0??? callsign, and he operated reciprocally Stateside
for the entire 10 years with USA Extra class privileges. I was a USA General class (13 wpm) Ham
who was curious why he got Extra priv's and not General priv's like me. Just before he moved
back home, I asked him why he got Extra priv's and why he didn't get a USA license while here.
Answer: He never could have passed the USA Extra class (20 wpm) exam, so he took advantage
of an existing reciprocal agreement (prior to the CEPT and IARP) to his benefit.

73, and yes I was jealous
                  Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: