Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Call Sign Fees - NPRM FY 2014  (Read 3809 times)
W7CIA

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:32:19 PM »

The FCC has just posted a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) in which they propose raising the Vanity Call Sign license fee to $21.60.  This after recently raising the fee to $16.10.

Anyone who has ever worked on a database knows that once a record is updated, there is no additional work to be done.  Frankly, I find this proposed increase to be outlandish and unnecessary.  In fact, the Vanity Fee, based on the expectation that proper database design was employed and that a single record update needs to occur, should only apply once when the initial application for a vanity call sign is acted upon.  Once the record is updated, the call sign is the call sign and there shouldn't be additional management tasks, nor any need to repeatedly charge for a task that was already performed.  This is a kin to paying not just for annual vehicle registration, but for the transfer of that registration every time you renew.

Interested parties have 30-days to submit comments.  There is a URL on the ARRL page that points to the NPRM if you're interested.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:34:59 PM by W7CIA » Logged
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:06:35 PM »

I see it as more of a program rather than a simple database issue.  The FCC has manpower and development needs throughout the lifespan of the vanity call system, including rulemakings, hearings, special systems development for unused and deceased calls aging and lotteries.  I figure the FCC needs a revenue source to cover these expenses beyond merely newly issued vanity calls, as the number of new vanity calls issued each year might vary much more than the combined number of new AND renewed calls.  For example, as 1X2 calls, or W-prefix 1X3 calls get harder to get, the number of new applicants will drop.  But the total number of vanity calls needing renewal in those categories will be much more stable over time.
KI6LZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 07:15:42 PM »

Charge vanity fees as high market can bear.
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 10:11:28 PM »

Per year, that's roughly half the cost of a 16-ounce bag of Nacho and Cheese Doritos.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 04:27:20 AM »

Frankly, I find this proposed increase to be outlandish...

Thoughts?

You can afford an antenna farm like this:

but you find a $5.50 increase to be outlandish?

I find THAT to be outlandish!!

I suppose you will be giving up your vanity call sign now so you can afford to put up another tower!
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 04:47:31 AM »

Regardless of the immigration problem this is still America where whatever the market will bear and greed is the OOD, do you really expect anything different or a REDUCTION in any type of fee?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:39:59 AM »

The FCC has just posted a Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) in which they propose raising the Vanity Call Sign license fee to $21.60.  This after recently raising the fee to $16.10.

Anyone who has ever worked on a database knows that once a record is updated, there is no additional work to be done.  Frankly, I find this proposed increase to be outlandish and unnecessary.  In fact, the Vanity Fee, based on the expectation that proper database design was employed and that a single record update needs to occur, should only apply once when the initial application for a vanity call sign is acted upon.  Once the record is updated, the call sign is the call sign and there shouldn't be additional management tasks, nor any need to repeatedly charge for a task that was already performed.  This is a kin to paying not just for annual vehicle registration, but for the transfer of that registration every time you renew.

Interested parties have 30-days to submit comments.  There is a URL on the ARRL page that points to the NPRM if you're interested.

Thoughts?

There are hams that are currently holding multiple, highly desirable, 1x2 vanity callsigns. Some they claim are "club" callsigns, but they are the only member of the club.

With the vanity renewal fee so minimally low, there is almost no incentive for these no-use callsigns to be given back to the general pool for others to use.

I'm specifically talking about the 1x2's here. Other less desirable vanity callsigns held by individuals or clubs, no problem with low fees.

I would propose the fee be something reasonable (and $100 for 10 years is perfectly reasonable) for a first 1x2 vanity callsign, but the fee for a second 1x2 vanity callsign to be just outlandishly huge ($10000) and going up by a factor of 100 for each one after that.

Tim.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 07:27:19 AM »

This comes up every year. FCC is required by statute (that means law, or "act of Congress") to charge fees for vanity licenses (both initial issuance and renewal) to cover the total cost of the vanity program. It's not an FCC regulation that they can change.  It doesn't matter if a vanity renewal is fundamentally the same as a sequential renewal, or if it's just a database action. It's the law, and only Congress can initiate a change.

47 U.S.C. ยง 159(a)(1) says "The Commission, in accordance with this section, shall assess and collect regulatory fees to recover the costs of the following regulatory activities of the Commission: enforcement activities, policy and rulemaking activities, user information services, and international activities." And section (g) below that includes "Amateur vanity call... (per license)" as among the licenses required "to recover the costs of...regulatory activities." Note that (h)(2) under that provides an exception to "amateur radio operator licenses."

What you are seeing in the new NPRM is the result of FCC's estimate of total costs during FY2015 of all of its activities relative to vanity call signs, and its estimate of the total number of vanity licenses issued (initial and renewal) during FY2015. The simple division of the two numbers results in the proposed fee.

I see it as more of a program rather than a simple database issue... 

That concept is exactly what is implied by the statute quoted above.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 07:35:44 AM by W3HF » Logged
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04:17 AM »

...do you really expect anything different or a REDUCTION in any type of fee?

Well, yes.  It happened in 2010.  To the surprise of absolutely no one, some hams complained about it:

https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?action=printpage;topic=68815.0
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »

As I said on another forum, the cost of a vanity renewal is still cheaper than most driver's license or vehicle registration fees, both of which occur at more frequent intervals.  For instance, I just paid over $100 to renew a 16-year old truck for another year...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: