The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Extras and a general ...  (Read 1521 times)
KOP

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2017, 04:16:20 PM »

Congratulations to WA7FKI for becoming an Extra today . KI7CWV is not that far behind having missed only a few questions on his way to a General license . I'm the other Extra.

I learned years ago to give her her own desk and keep my hands off of it . Being nearly as handy with near any tool I can name , her own tools and keep my hands off . Now I understand her anxiety when sitting in front of my station so her own radio and ...

Although KI7CWV is primarily a VHF/UHF operator he is expanding into HF .

This presents a welcomed problem . Just how many remote and local coaxial switches can one house have ? How many antennas are enough? Will each operating position need both a VHF/UHF and an HF feed to the remote switches? How to  provide enough isolation to protect L41 in my TS830-S when others are transmitting ? Where  to place QRO where it is available to tune but not passing near the RF/input of other radios ? Who has priority ? Schedules ? Power bill ? St Elmo's fire visible for city blocks through the fog ? :-)

These and many questions more that I have to ask of my multi-op contest station radio acquaintances.
Fortunately we all get along otherwise . I don't see air time being an issue because of scheduling . I just had this vision of 1.5k watts being stuffed into the front end of any radio through poor isolation in switches or just antenna proximity.

I don't know how many of you have ever dealt with such other than on a multi-op contest week end . I suppose I'll find out in another thread . This thread is for congratulations to Kari and Kevin for a job well done and a hope for many years of enjoyment come .

To Karilee , well done !
To Kevin , Thanks for all the trees .

AF7XT Dennis   
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 03:54:15 PM »

congrats and well done and good luck resolving the triple threat station/antenna scenarios! 

btw, the thread title whetted my appetite for a joke:
"Two Extras and a general walk into a bar..."  Cheesy
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 12:27:22 PM »

Issues like those come up in "Field Day" operations.  "Field Day" is a contest held around June, where hams set up a camp and install temporary antennas and power sources.  Multiple radio systems are used, and thus they have the same issues you are thinking of. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: