The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FCC License Counts  (Read 632097 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #585 on: September 16, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »

From http://www.arrl.org/fcc-license-counts

the number of current unexpired FCC issued amateur licenses held by individuals on September 15, 2017 was:

Novice:                 9,280      (1.2%)
Technician          374,411    (50.3%)
Technician Plus            0     (0.0%)
General              173,455    (23.3%)
Advanced            42,964     (5.8%)
Extra                 144,658    (19.4%)

Total                 744,768

Percentages may not add up to exactly 100.0% due to rounding.

No new Novice or Advanced licenses have been issued since April 2000. However, the totals for those classes may sometimes show an increase over prior numbers due to renewals in the grace period.

This is a new all-time high record.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #586 on: September 22, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »

the number of current unexpired FCC issued amateur licenses held by individuals on September 21, 2017 was:

Novice:                  9,268      (1.2%)
Technician          374,512     (50.3%)
Technician Plus             0      (0.0%)
General              173,514     (23.3%)
Advanced             42,872       (5.8%)
Extra                  144,642     (19.4%)

Total                 744,808

No new Novice or Advanced licenses have been issued since April 2000. However, the totals for those classes may sometimes show an increase over prior numbers due to renewals in the grace period.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #587 on: September 23, 2017, 12:12:11 PM »

the number of current unexpired FCC issued amateur licenses held by individuals on September 22, 2017 was:

Novice:                  9,268      (1.2%)
Technician          374,527     (50.3%)
Technician Plus             0      (0.0%)
General              173,539     (23.3%)
Advanced             42,871       (5.8%)
Extra                  144,652     (19.4%)

Total                 744,857

73 de Jim, N2EY
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #588 on: September 23, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »

I'm not sure I understand this thread.  Why or who cares about FCC license Counts?  Jim you keep putting up the stats and stuff but I'm not sure why.  What am I missing?       
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #589 on: September 23, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »

I'm not sure I understand this thread.  Why or who cares about FCC license Counts?  Jim you keep putting up the stats and stuff but I'm not sure why.  What am I missing?       

i cant speak for Jim, but this thread certainly lays to rest the idea that Ham Radio is dying or dwindling.  (graphically it is an incline) 73  Wink
KQ4MM

Ignore
« Reply #590 on: September 23, 2017, 01:45:31 PM »

Keep it up Jim,

I like to watch the trends and growth, especially the Advanced class, long way to go before there are none of us left.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #591 on: September 23, 2017, 02:51:09 PM »

It's to have a record of sorts.

It used to be that you could tell the number of US hams from the Callbooks - but they're long gone. Various sources post various numbers, but often it's not clear if they include clubs and other non-individual licenses, and whether they include grace-period licenses or not.

ARRL posts the number of current, unexpired hams (no clubs, nobody in the grace period) so it's clearly the number of people who hold licenses. But ARRL doesn't archive the numbers, at least not that I can see. So the archive is here - you can see the trend since 2010, when this thread started.

73 de Jim, N2EY
PLANKEYE

Ignore
« Reply #592 on: September 23, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »

Ok I think I get it now.  I think if we would do away with testing those numbers would really go up.  If it's just a numbers game I guess that would be good.  Right or wrong?
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #593 on: September 23, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »

Keep it up Jim,

I like to watch the trends and growth, especially the Advanced class, long way to go before there are none of us left.

When the FCC closed the Novice and Advanced to new issues in April 2000, there were about 50,000 Novices and 100,000 Advanceds. Now we're down to under 9300 Novices and 43,000 Advanceds. One wonders how long before they're all gone.

And despite the doomsayers, our numbers continue to grow.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #594 on: September 25, 2017, 03:06:45 AM »

Ok I think I get it now.  I think if we would do away with testing those numbers would really go up.  If it's just a numbers game I guess that would be good.  Right or wrong?

the idea that we should embrace quantity without regard for quality is wrong -- but you already knew that; enough with the feigned ignorance Wink
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #595 on: September 25, 2017, 05:49:41 AM »

the idea that we should embrace quantity without regard for quality is wrong -- but you already knew that; enough with the feigned ignorance Wink

1) How do we define "quality" in this context?

2) How do we get more quality?

3) License tests aren't going away any time soon - or even long term. They're required by treaty. Plus FCC has almost 60 years' experience with what happens without licensing.

4) A big part of the reason some new (and not-so-new) hams seem so "dumb" is because there's so much more to know today.

AC9RN

Ignore
« Reply #596 on: September 25, 2017, 06:14:56 AM »

To shift gears within the topic here -

So, we have nearly 745,000 licenses out there, but how many of those licensees are active?  There is no source for that information that I know of. 

For instance, I am also a licensed skydiver, and a member of the USPA, and I have a full set of up-to-date gear, meaning, I can grab it out of the closet, put it on, and go jump today if I could.

(However, I am not active in the sport due to health reasons.)

Lenny, AC9RN (Formerly KB2NYA)
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #597 on: September 25, 2017, 11:47:56 AM »

So, we have nearly 745,000 licenses out there, but how many of those licensees are active

And you definite "active" as???

There has never been any way to determine how many licensees are "active".

The best GUESS has always been that PERHAPS half the number of licensees at any point in time are actively "engaged" with (that is, actively interested in) ham radio (albeit not necessarily on-the-air).
And that includes back when the license term was far less than the current ten years.

And it has long estimated that half or more new licensees never get on the air.

In my view, the important thing is that whatever the percentage of "active" licensees, the number of expiring licenses that are renewed (a measure of those interested enough to keep their tickets) combined with new licenses being issued keeps resulting in overall growth.

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #598 on: September 25, 2017, 12:04:49 PM »

Now, there's a loaded straight line if I've ever seen one.

However... if you truly don't get it, then don't worry about this thread and move along.
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #599 on: September 25, 2017, 02:42:11 PM »

Quote from: PLANKEYE
Ok I think I get it now.  I think if we would do away with testing those numbers would really go up.  If it's just a numbers game I guess that would be good.  Right or wrong?

Quote from: N9KX
the idea that we should embrace quantity without regard for quality is wrong -- but you already knew that; enough with the feigned ignorance Wink

Quote from: N2EY
1) How do we define "quality" in this context?

that is an open question.  for me it would include licensed ham operators who have respect for the history of radio, radio operation, and science as well as international respect and a lack of jingoism or partisanship

Quote from: N2EY
2) How do we get more quality?

3) License tests aren't going away any time soon - or even long term. They're required by treaty. Plus FCC has almost 60 years' experience with what happens without licensing.

4) A big part of the reason some new (and not-so-new) hams seem so "dumb" is because there's so much more to know today.

certainly as the circumference of our light beam of knowledge about this mysterious universe that we are part of grows, so too does how much we realize we dont know.  but that is just the nature of knowledge.  but i would not have framed this around some idea that new hams are dumb.  i just think society in general is less courteous.  if ham radio is to continue to promote goodwill among amateur operators both within and between nations -- then i think we need to ask what would improve the tenor of on air ham radio discourse?  and i suppose one good answer can be taken from Ghandi -- be the change we wish to see in the world. ...

Jim, i would be interested in your own response to the 4 questions you've asked above...
Pages: Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: