Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Echolink firewall/router test results.  (Read 844 times)
N8XAE

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2009, 01:12:27 PM »

Just wondering if anyone knows the difference between the two UDP tests performed during the firewall/router test?

On occasion, the first two UDP tests fail. Next time, they pass. Yet on another, only the second UDP test (UDP #1 5199) will fail. Does this have anything to do with lag, or server speed?

Just wondering what it might be, and with that can I do anything about it?
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 01:45:25 PM »

If there's a LOT of lag you might have the ports come up as unavailable (because the test will time-out after a pre-determined time).

Did you open your router up to forward the ports directly to your EchoLink computer?  I would start there and see how it works.
N8XAE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

Yes, ports are forwarding to the computer. There is only one computer connected to the router 99% of the time. Computers firewall is turned off as I mainly rely on the router to do that job.

It seems that about 80% of the time the second UDP test (UDP 5199 test #1... failed) times out. Others fly by with no issues.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2009, 05:12:12 AM »

Have you run a virus scan on your computer?  Sometimes a virus will interfere with networking.

Also, you should enable your software firewall, just configure it to allow the ports through.  You can never be careful enough Wink

Is the router firmware upgraded to the latest version?  That may also be affecting how the router passes the packets through.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: