Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: slowing down for others  (Read 5707 times)
M0JHA

Ignore
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:14:03 PM »

Now im only at 13wpm at the moment but can manage a bit faster when the old brain box allows. Anyway i have found im no longer one of the slower ops on the bands and have been slowing down to match others reply to my call..

Should i be doing this if im not asked to QRS ?

my thinking was it was polite and maybe helping the other station but just thinking if im sending a call at 13wpm then they must  be able to read it ..

Sio whats the correct way to go ? keep at my speed or slow without asking? i have replied to stations in the past that are a little faster than me and some slow down and some don't but i have never asked ( not recently anyway).

Im asking simply because i want to be the best op i can be and others slowing for me even when i didn't ask helped me ..

billy, m0jha
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 02:31:25 PM »

Hi Billy,

It's considerate of you to ask this question, and I can only give you my way of dealing with this situation.
Sometimes, ops can receive faster but send slower due to any number of reasons.
When someone comes back very slowly to my call, I will generally back off my speed a little, but normally not right down to their speed.
Some ops have physical handicaps to faster sending which leaves their receiving speed unaffected.
If they are calling, I will always go back to them at their speed, except if they are a speed demon which I could not match.
Then I will just go at what is comfortable for me to send.

After the first over, it generally becomes evident, as I am sure you have found, if they have copied you ok, and if you are a bit fast for
them you may get the quick 73s es tnx qso routine.
In any case, your heart is in the right place and you will be a good elmer with your attitude.

73s

NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:36:37 AM »

If I'm answering an op's CQ that's going slower than my usual speed, I try to match the speed when responding.  Same thing when someone answers my CQ at a slower speed.  And, of course, if I receive a QRS I slow down. 

With the number of CW ops dwindling, it's only fitting that we encourage and assist other ops in improving their skills and enjoying CW communication.

Bill in Pasadena
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 11:16:39 AM »

Eventually, my send speed will equal my copy speed, but right now, because I have practiced copying a lot more than sending, I don't feel comfortable sending as fast as I can receive. After all, we prefer accuracy over speed, don't we?

I think you can safely keep sending at your speed until requested to slow down.

-- Tom

P.S. I actually haven't had a CW QSO yet, but hopefully soon. I'll try to have done one before the Labor Day 3-day weekend is through.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »

I assume the other op sends at the speed they can copy.  So, I try and get close to their speed.

Ultimately, were are both just having FUN--nothing very important is going to be sent by either party.

Bob
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 07:25:41 PM »

If I'm answering an op's CQ that's going slower than my usual speed, I try to match the speed when responding.  Same thing when someone answers my CQ at a slower speed.  And, of course, if I receive a QRS I slow down. 

With the number of CW ops dwindling, it's only fitting that we encourage and assist other ops in improving their skills and enjoying CW communication.

Bill in Pasadena

I disagree, Bill.  I hear a lot of stations on CW every night.  Hams will gravitate to CW even without the code requirement.

As for QRS?  I use a keyboard to send, so it's a lot easier for me to just turn the speed down.  I send a few dits on sidetone, (well on a keyboard 'e e e e') to see if I'm matching up with the CQ sender. 

When I used a paddle I found it harder to match speed if I was used to sending at a particular speed.  I would struggle to send well at a slower speed than I was accustomed to send.  Again, the keyboard makes it easy since I can type ahead and the computer will space the dits, dahs, and letters according to the selected speed.

I know that using a keyboard is "cheating" since it doesn't require sending skill.  Still, it's useful for making quick speed changes without sacrificing any clarity.

73, Jordan

N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:17:53 AM »

I am a very slow cw op.
I will send at a speed I am comfortable with.
Please slow down for me and my other slow brothers and sisters.

TU de Joel N5XTR 
.  .
N8AUC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:20:42 AM »

Back when I was a Novice and just starting out, my elmer taught me that
good operating practice on CW is that you should never send faster than
you can copy.

That tells the other station how fast to send to you.

And when you have been working CW long enough that you get good at it,
you should always QRS when asked to. That's called being considerate.

73 de N8AUC
Eric
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 10:40:25 AM »

you can copy.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

Amen!

N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:35 PM »

you can copy.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

Amen!

That's what I was taught as well. Answer close to the speed (and spacing) of the operator calling and don't send at a speed above what you can copy.

Doug N3PDT
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:19:09 AM »

I always try to slow down to the other senders speed if I am answering a slower CQ or someone answers me. To me that indicates that is the speed they are comfortable with so that's the speed I will work them with. Yes, as another poster stated, there is the possibility that they can receive at a faster speed but are limited sending faster by a physical handicap.. but there is no way for me to know that on the other end so I'll just assume that the speed I am hearing from them is how fast they want to go and I'll just happily send to them that same speed unless they ask me to speed up (which has never happened).
IK0YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 01:27:31 AM »

My opinion is that the other station should never ask for QRS, one should always match the corrispondant speed, whether faster or slower.
73 Carlo
G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 06:20:44 AM »

Hi Billy,  we met on another forum.
Anyway about QRS:- I don't know if is the same with other operators, but when I have to slow down say to 8 - 12 wpm, I make a complete hash of it. The other night on 80 metres I slowed right down for a new operator and my CW was horrific!
 I was so embarrassed, I sent the guy an email apologising. Cheesy

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 03:21:28 PM »

I love slowing down, normally I rattle along at 25-30WPM but if I hear someone at around 15 I'll push the paddle away and use the straight key which I enjoy using and that is good up to 20WPM, at the slower speeds it's not a problem, I make too many mistakes at slow speeds on the electronic key  Cheesy

If you hear me on Billy give me a call, it'll be a pleasure to have a chat with you.
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 01:04:01 PM »

Thanks for the replies chaps.. G4FUT  i know what you mean , even in my infancy as a cw op i already find it hard to slow down too much without making a hash of it ..

G4LNA  , same here , if you ( or anyone for that matter) hears me stop and say hello.. im normally sat around 7.028  or recently 10.116 ish.

my 40m loop is quite good for inter G  and works very well indeed north/south of me ..

collecting FISTS numbers for the century award so all contributions appreciated  Grin

billy
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:07:43 PM by billy talmage » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: