Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterproofing Connectors  (Read 14009 times)
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2010, 01:54:54 AM »

I'm trying Rescue Tape the next go around when my SteppIR BigIR vertical comes next month.  I've used COax Seal for over 10 years with no problems.  The longest run was 10 years with my Cushcraft R8.  When I recently took it down, the control (black Box) cracked on the side from sun damage but the coax seal held.  The connector was bone dry of course I also used a dielectric seal in the connector itself called Stuff-It.  My cable splice for that antenna was dry and I'm reusing it for the Butternut HF6V I have up now.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
KV7W

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 11:04:16 AM »

If you buy a roll of the rubber window flashing at a home box store, that should be about a lifetime supply for the average ham. At 9" or 12" wide, sealing boxes and antenna mounts against the house isn't such a chore either - good stuff. You still have to pre-wrap your connectors for future disassemble and finish with Super 88 for the UV protection, but it's not a bad system and it doesn't get much cheaper.

Most connector failures don't happen because they aren't waterproof; most guys get the initial waterproofing job done; it happens because the connector isn't structurally airtight. With the change of seasons and temperature, the expansion and contraction of any air in the connector can blow out most sealers and let in moist air. Duck butter, monkey poo, etc, is nice because it's somewhat self sealing. The window flashing is basically the same thing in a different form, at a reasonable price. 
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: