Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: totally removing windows and installing DOS  (Read 1212 times)
G7MRV

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2008, 11:50:29 AM »

Hi All

I have an old Dell Latitude CPi D300XT laptop. I wish to completely remove windows (XP Pro loaded at moment) and install MSDOS 6.22. This might seem a crazy thing these days, but i need a programming machine that will run KPG-20D software for Kenwood TK-349 radios. My previos Compax 486 programming laptop has literally fallen apart (the displays fell off!)

im looking for advice on the best way to totally remove windows and start afresh. I need to ensure theres no windows components left on that could cause problems accessing the RS232 ports

Regards

Martin G7MRV

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 12:12:52 PM »

well, it might be academic. Ive just tried to run the machine and it cant see the harddrive! Looks like its onto freecycle to try and find a very old laptop

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »

Format *.*
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »

hi,

Using your DOS install disks,
insert #1 and then turn on laptop.
you will be given the option to
format the drive during DOS installation.

that will wipe out any previous info.

another option is to run in a DOS
window at startup,
we have an older BBS that works great on
in that configuration.

73 james
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 09:16:54 AM »

thanks,

just wanted to ensure a format would completely remove windows, i know it should, but you hear all sorts of stories about stuff windows manages to leave behind!

Martin

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 11:19:32 AM »

XP should let you boot to DOS by hitting the F8 key before Windows gets loaded. That should keep Windows from affecting any of the serial ports.

Most DOS programs will also run fine if you open a DOS window after Windows starts and then start your DOS program from the DOS window. I've run many DOS serial programs that way for programming various equipment. The main thing here is to make sure that you don't have any Windows programs running that have one of the serial ports open (hot sync programs come to mind).

ZS1DFR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:41:29 AM »

Here's another (useless?) piece of advice. What about installing Windows 98 on that Dell? Then you have the choice to boot to Win98 or to DOS at startup, and you can use either..... I have an old Dell laptop, with two hard drives, and I have XP installed on one drive, and Win98 on the other. A simple swap-out allows me to use the laptop to program all the radios I possess. Just a thought..............

Best wishes,
Dave
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 12:28:26 PM »

I had this machine running windows XP Pro before the HDD died! Ive now replaced the hard drive.

I had intended reformatting to just DOS on this machine since the old compaq 486 i use to use for programming broke. This is a spare machine and the slowest and oldest i now have.

The problem is with the KPG-20D software used on these kenwood radios. Theres something about the way windows controls the serial ports that means even the presence of windows on the machine, even if the machine is running in DOS or booted into a DOS partition, the software fails to talk to the radios.

Admittedly, using a PII 300MHz machine with 64MB RAm and 10GB HDD for DOS 6.22 and just one program, is a bit of overkill!

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 05:10:29 PM »

I think something else is going on here. If you boot to DOS, Windows should not be controlling the serial ports. Most DOS programs access the serial hardware directly. A few use the BIOS interface. I don't know how the mere existance of Windows files on the drive would interferre with either.

At any rate, if you boot to a DOS floppy and then use format c: /S you should wind up with nothing but the DOS system on the drive. The format will clear the drive and the /S option will make it bootable in DOS.

WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 05:35:14 PM »

You could also check out installing DOSbox on the existing XP operating system.  You can then emulate MsDOS.  I think it can run the serial ports.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Main_Page
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 06:19:58 AM »

Sadly, the original poster is on the right track.  Starting with Win 95, the DOS system was an integral part of the Windows GUI.  You could bring up a DOS 'shell', but windows still controlled the machine even if the F8 selection key was used.  The proof of that is it took a finite amount of time to start the Win95 system, but if you attempted to start Win95 from the DOS shell, it came right up.

Loading DOS 6.22 into the machine he is indicating can only be done after a complete format of the hard disk because of the difference in the file systems used by WinXP and DOS 6.22, and the install will be clean.  

The only tricky part is getting the reformat done--sometimes the only way to do it is to boot from the DOS 6.22 disk, exit the install, and then use the fdisk and format programs before rebooting and attempting the installation of DOS.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 07:08:50 AM »

Well, I have yet to see a DOS program that wouldn't run from the command prompt when booted from the F8 key. That includes all sorts of DOS programs that use the serial port, including various types of equipment programming software. DOS programs access the serial port hardware directly or via the BIOS functions. They NEVER use any Windows drivers. In fact, if you boot to the command prompt from the F8 key no Windows drivers get loaded.

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible, just that given as much of this DOS stuff that I've done professionally I'm really surprised that loading real DOS would be necessary.

KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »

The hardware in newer computers is often not compatible with the direct hardware calls made by DOS. The I/O chips (IRQ sharing, Northbridge and Southbridge, etc), hard drive, CD Rom,  serial ports, modem, etc may not be recognized by DOS either.

Your best bet is to create a bootable DOS floppy or CD. Boot the laptop using the DOS floppy/cd before removing windows. This will give you the opportunity to verify if the video, hard drive, serial ports, etc are all accessible. Don't be surprised if DOS isn't able to read the hard drive, as it will probably be formatted in NTFS.

You may find the laptop useless under DOS, it would be better to find an older/vintage computer.

BTW, what kind of problem are you having with the laptop and the programming software? Does the software not run on the computer? Or does it run but not communicate with the serial ports?

73, de Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »

"Well, I have yet to see a DOS program that wouldn't run from the command prompt when booted from the F8 key. That includes all sorts of DOS programs that use the serial port, including various types of equipment programming software"

I've got a serial-port-using program that won't talk to a piece of very old equipment even under Win98 F8 boot.

I know that:

1) I can sorta-communicate with the equipment using a serial port in the sense that some understandable header data is transferred

2) The program that is supposed to receive binary block data, calculate a checksum, and return that to the equipment does in fact open COM1 and hold it in use

3) I've got the serial port settings right

But at the same time it still doesn't work.

KA1MDA says:

"The hardware in newer computers is often not compatible with the direct hardware calls made by DOS. The I/O chips (IRQ sharing, Northbridge and Southbridge, etc), hard drive, CD Rom, serial ports, modem, etc may not be recognized by DOS either.
"

I wonder if that's it in my situation.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 05:33:59 PM »

Does that computer have a CD drive?   Why not just set your Boot settings to Boot from the CD  ( or even a floppy drive) first,  then when needed,  just stick in a DOS floppy or CD disk and the computer will boot to DOS with no Windows showing up at all.

Ed  K7AAT

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: