Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac and programming??  (Read 2108 times)
KF7LDW

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »

Just got my ticket and have 2 new radios.  A Yaesu VX-6 and FT-8800.  Both of them are somewhat difficult to program by hand.  Everyone seems to rave about programming software but what about those of us with Macs?  I don't want to buy a copy of windows, install boot camp or parralells, buy programming cables and software just to program!!!  Isn't there an easier way for us mac guys??

Punching in freq/alpha's by hand is getting old.  Especially since I cant copy memories from one side of my FT8800 to the other!!!

KF7LDW
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »

You can install WINE on the mac to run windows program, and share the serial port provided by a USB serial adapter with the program running under WINE.

Theoretically this should allow something like FTBasicMMO to run.
KF7LDW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »

Thanks I've looked at Wine and some of the other emulators.  After all was said and done I just sprang for an OEM version of Windows 7.  Now I can run anything that I need on my mac without issue (I hope). 

Not the cheapest solution but it worked.

WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 02:21:54 PM »

You wimped out.  Dump Windows, dump any emuator.

There are numerous programs, RumLog, J-log, and MacLoggerDX.  One bad thing about MacLoggerDX it does not cover DXCC Challenge and other awards.

For Packet try SPOT by K3NC

Jim K9TF
KF7LDW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 02:34:31 PM »

Yep I did, I wasn't looking at logging programs anyway.  I was looking to manage the memories for my VX-6, FT-8800 and new FT-897D.  On occasion I do have the need to run Windows programs so it wasn't that bad of a compromise.  I had good luck with Windows 7 using the RT systems cables running VX commander, FTB8800 and FT Basic.  All seem to work like a charm under Windows on my MacBook.
AC8HF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »

As far as memory management goes, you may want to check out MacMemoriesManager, at least for the FT-897D:

http://dogparksoftware.com/MacMemoriesManager.html

I just used it this morning with my 857D, and it worked like a charm.  It's free (albeit unsupported) too.  Not the best UI for an OS X program, but hey--it works, and works well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: