Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does State Farm insurance cover ham radio equipment?  (Read 3281 times)
W4TQ

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2010, 12:44:59 PM »

I understand that there are specific insurances available for ham radio equipment, but my question is this:

Does anyone have experience with State Farm (or other homeowners insurance company) with regard to insurance claims for loss of radio and computer equipment?

I looked at my policy declaration page, but it refers to limits of certain losses, and the documents it refers to aren't available online.

This is why I'm asking for comments from those who have practical experience or knowledge about making claims with homeowners insurance.

I've never experienced a loss in 50 years of hamming, but I have accumulated a fair amount equipment over the years.

Thanks in advance & 73,
Dan - W4TQ
WB4PPW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »

I had a lightning strike last Oct. and State Farm replaced every thing that was damaged at the replacement Cost for simular equipment, and that included my Antenna's.  Great people to deal with
WB4PPW Jess
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »

The best way to find out is to call an agent. Sometimes you have to have a rider (or a "personal effects floater) that lists amateur equipment specifically, but often you don't. Floaters usually cover things like coin and gun collections, jewelry, cameras, etc.

And even though ham equipment at home may be covered, ham equipment installed in the car or that which you carry to work or camping may not. It's best to get coverage specifics from your agent now, instead of waiting until you experience a loss.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 01:28:20 PM »

Most insurance companies will cover your losses.  Over the past 25 years I've taken 3 lightning hits and the insurance carriers covered my equipment loss and other damage to the home.  One thing though, you have to prove that the damage was not caused directly by a power line surge; otherwise the insurance company will tell you to collect from the power company.  In all cases I was able to provide physical evidence that the lightning came in via non-powerline sources and if damage was ultimately caused by a power surge it was induced by a lightning hit on my property.  As evidence I presented the insurance adjuster with burnt pieces of coax and connectors.  It's very important to have replacement cost written in your policy, otherwise they depreciate your equipment and reimburse you for what it's currently worth.
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:45:29 PM »

When you contact the agent, get the answer in writing if you can.  Sometimes they just give you an opinion without closely reading the contract.  The insurance I had with State Farm did cover radio gear and everything else associated with lightning damage.  However after a lightning claim, they doubled my premiums.  I cancelled the policy (after having State Farm for 38 years and only a few minor claims) and went with another company.  Being located in Florida at the time, may have had something to do with that.  Since you are also in Florida, good luck.

Jerry, K4SAV
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 01:54:02 PM »

Dan:  one other thing comes to mind.  If you have accumulated lots of equipment it's not a bad idea to take pictures of your equipment and submit them to the insurance company for their files.  I've done that with my furniture.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 07:17:55 AM »

DEDUCTABLES are MUCH HIGHER on home owners insurance than the ARRL insurance as well as a home owners claim may also be followed by a RATE INCREASE after a claim! There is a  VERY good chance of the rate increase! Angry  They are NOT you FRIENDS & are NOT ON YOUR SIDE but more like IN YOUR WALLET as much as possible.

Clayton
W4KVW
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 07:54:46 AM »

I had a lightning strike last Oct. and State Farm replaced every thing that was damaged at the replacement Cost for simular equipment, and that included my Antenna's.  Great people to deal with, WB4PPW Jess
Yep.
Never have had to made a claim with them about ham gear,
but State Farm did right by us in our 1994 Northridge Earthquake
claim. Damage was in the high 5 figures. They sent out one adjustor
one time and we got everything we asked for taken care of good as new.
While many other home owners fought desperately with their insurance companies
for years, some over a decade, State Farm took good quick care of us.  Smiley
KG8JF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 08:20:44 AM »

Good luck to anyone who deals with insurance companies.  I particularly do not like State Farm.  If you just keep in mind that they are not in business to pay claims.  They are there to collect premiums.

My only experience is with Marsh, the ARRL carrier.  I had to spend money up front but upon presentation of the bills, I was reimbursed fully, less a $25.00 deductable.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 12:07:51 PM »

I understand that there are specific insurances available for ham radio equipment, but my question is this:

Does anyone have experience with State Farm (or other homeowners insurance company) with regard to insurance claims for loss of radio and computer equipment?

I looked at my policy declaration page, but it refers to limits of certain losses, and the documents it refers to aren't available online.

This is why I'm asking for comments from those who have practical experience or knowledge about making claims with homeowners insurance.

I've never experienced a loss in 50 years of hamming, but I have accumulated a fair amount equipment over the years.

Thanks in advance & 73,
Dan - W4TQ

State farm has always paid for me.

The only problem I ever had were with a new $35,000 car with 700 miles that got hit. State Farm wanted to fix the car even though the damage was $18,000!! It took months of fighting to get them to buy the car from us.
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 08:25:51 AM »

Several years ago I tango'd with Mother Nature and lost.  No evidence of my tower or antennas taking the lightning hit (more than likely came in through the utilities).  Some of my ham gear was affect but the rest wasn't.  Also lost some household electronics.

Called my State Farm agent.  Opened a claims file.  Sent them an itemized list of what was damaged including reports from repair shops saying the devices cost more to repair than to replace.  SF promptly took care of it with no hassles.
KE7FD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 10:15:55 AM »

Hmmm, they're more general purpose and not as good as say: http://www.hamradioinsurance.com/

g
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: