Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Uses for non-contact laser thermometers  (Read 3631 times)
K6JEA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2010, 06:09:39 PM »

Ive got one at work, It's a Raytek I believe and its valuable for alot of things. I've used it for finding drafts and cold spots in the house, Checking suspect overloaded AC wiring and extension cords.
 You have to be careful what you measure though... It's not really good for shiny steel, painted steel is ok. Different materials reflect IR light differently.

Bill K9WJL

I found that when checking the temp of something shinny like copper pipe putting a piece of masking tape on the area helps. Kills the shine while not affecting the temp.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 04:41:26 AM »

I have seen them used to check the temp of 807's in a cooler. Smiley

I use one to spot check mash temp while homebrewing -- long before the 807's go into the cooler.

KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »

One possible use could be to look at 12volt power connections, heat would show a less than optimal connection. Consider  many high power leads to a common point or did that crimp connector make a tight mechanical connection. A loose or poor connection would show heat. Similar when during outages (Preventative Maintenance) Thermal scans to look for hot spots. look at the specs for reliable range. General statement: "Distance is not your friend." That is why it is important to know the devices limitations. If published. If it is for general use then it won't be that much of a big deal.
Anyhow for the price you can only be about 25 dollars wrong for a worst case.Shocked
Tom
Kb3hg
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »

Similar when during outages (Preventative Maintenance) Thermal scans to look for hot spots.

One good thing about thermal imaging you can capture a hot spot dead on when "energized" (wearing arc flash gear). Dropping power to a building/facility and doing an IR scan is not going to capture much. With the IR collected data, you can return to that de-energized equipment and go right to the problem.

You're right though. $25 +/- is a good investment to have around the shack, and my post exceeds the original posted question.

K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 07:25:58 AM »

I picked one up at Harbor Freight yesterday. They are marked $39.99 with no clue about the coupon. But I got it for $25.99 when I presented the newspaper coupon at checkout.

The package said the unit is for automotive purposes which worried me. However it seems to work for just about any temperature measuring. I ran hot kitchen water into a mug and measured 147 F. A 60 watt light bulb showed about 200F. My cupped hand read about 92F. Pointing it into the fridge and freezer showed readings that appeared correct. My Astron power supply under the radio position read about 88F. Air conditioning ducts had 61 degree air coming out. (a neat use when ducts are up high). One ceiling light fixture read much higher than others, which calls for downsizing the bulbs in it.

Instructions say its range is about 8' with results in <500 millisecs but it appears to be instantaneous. Accuracy is spec'd at +-4 F. It reads continuously, so you can wave it around to find hot or cold spots. Construction is good and it even comes with the required 9V battery.

No 807s at hand, but it quickly located the coldest soda can in the fridge.

Added bonus: the laser (used for aiming) kept our cats entranced during the testing phase.

Conclusion: well worth the $25.99
WB4PPW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 06:13:11 AM »

Being an RV'er I use one to spot check the temp of my tires when I stop, sure a lot easier than croling under the Motor Home and checking each one .
Jess WB4PPW
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: