Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000+ Miles on 1 Watt  (Read 26113 times)
KE7WAV

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2010, 09:34:34 AM »

I know this is old hat for most of you, but I finally got a QSO on 40M that was +1000 miles on 1 Watt of Power!  Making the story better was that my dipole was up only 11 feet and the other op was QRP as well, running a huge...4 Watts.  When I think of how little power that is-- I just have to smile. 
As I said old hat for QRP guys and especially the QRPp guys but I want to share with somebody who understands the thrill of such a feat. 
W5FYI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:15 AM »

QRP-ARCI has an award for that, and you both qualify!

Ain't QRP fun?
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »

Mode? 

Did it all the time on the CW bands. 

With real good antennas. 

If you did it using SSB phone, that would be exceptional. 

KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:10:54 PM »

I forgot.  This contact was made using the CW.  As I said, this is something most of you have done numerous times.  Just the thrill of the first time for me making a 40M contact like this.
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »

That WAS awesome! I'm new to QRP too, and am just amazed with what we can do with <5 watts.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 04:55:56 AM »

If you think its good now, just wait until the higher bands open up. I've worked Va to Siberia on PSK31 more than once while running 0.75W output with about 2dB feed line loss to a Yagi.
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:15 AM »

As I said, this is something most of you have done numerous times.  Just the thrill of the first time for me making a 40M contact like this.

Congratulations!  Smiley

Hope you continue to have fun with it.

Scott W5ESE
KB9BVN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 04:29:56 PM »

KE7WAV,

AWESOME dude!  Seriously, there is not much out there that can compare to a QRP to QRP CW QSO for excitement, especially when you get some distance.  Just stick around, if we ever start getting a few more sun spots things will be even better.

Nice job!

See the awards section at  http://www.qrparci.org

N6EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:55:38 PM »

That is awesome!

Just the other night I was testing a new tuner and had a similar Q - worked KH6-land with 2.5W on a speaker wire dipole - at 8 feet on 30M CW. 

What a blast!  This QRP thing is addictive...  :-)

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 11:35:56 AM »

I was far, far from an "old hat at QRP" when I
accomplished this and go the award. I had just finished
building my Small Wonder Labs PSK-20. (The older version
like the one on the cover of QST so many years ago).
The smoke test & alignment went fine.
I hooked up my HF6V and heard VK2CA calling CQ
on 20m PSK31. So I called back to him with 3 watts
(from my CA QTH) never expecting a reply....
and he came right back to me.
My first ever QSO with that kit rig, and it's over 1,000 miles/watt!
W3JJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:25 AM »

Congratulations!  My first 1000 mi/W QSO was on 6 m SSB, 438 mi with 250 mw.

When a band is open, you can work the whole world on 20/17/15/12/10/6 m SSB with 5 W or less.
AURICH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:20:02 AM »

I'm pretty new to HF and they say if you're new you should stay away from QRP because you'll get frustrated - what a joke! QRP is a ton of fun! Until they make a 100w rig the size of a paperback book and that runs for 12 hours from a small battery, QRP will be my choice. The first time I strung up my Par End Fed antenna to tune it, using my Yaesu 817 and AA batteries @ 1w, I checked into a SSB phone net in Oregon from my parents backyard in Denver, CO. This last weekend I worked Austria and Portugal from the same location with 2.5w SSB phone on 20m. You can read more about my QRP ventures on my blog: http://kd0fin.wordpress.com/
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 07:13:33 AM »

I'm pretty new to HF and they say if you're new you should stay away from QRP because you'll get frustrated

Some people run antennas that are so bad that it turns a 100W signal into a QRP signal.  If they turn their power down to 5W, then maybe they're running 250mW effective radiated power.

Other people don't like to do much in ham radio besides yak with their buddies on 75m SSB.   That tends to require a fair margin of radiated power beyond what will "make the contact" to make long listening comfortable for everyone.

It's all about expectations and the activities you like to do.  20m DXing and domestic work with a decent antenna will let you work a bunch of stuff.  Trying to have long conversations on 40m or 80m in the summer with a poorly designed $79.95 all-band-wonder-wire from a company that doesn't know a thing about antenna design will make you tear your hair out.

So sometimes "QRP can be frustrating."

If you're willing to work to understand antennas and how they can be made better, though, 5W is plenty of power for many, many contacts on the higher ham bands. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 08:17:11 AM »

Most mobile HF operators are running QRP and don't even know it  Grin
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »

Let me just throw my own experience into the pool. The other day I had a contact on 20m CW with G4UZN, some 800 mi away, with the meager 500mW of my Ramsey QRP-20 TX. The nice part of it is that we were both using wire antennas. The other side was running abt 10watts, into a low wire in the back-yard, while I was using my homebrew OCF dipole at 30', so probably a slightly better setup but certainly not a killer ant. Considering that I have 65' of feedline, an AH-4 ATU and a balun, I guess that by the time those 500mW had been across all that stuff my ERP must have been significantly less than that. I gave G4UNZ a respectable 569, while I was 559 on him. So much for those who say that running less than one KW into a beam isn't much fun  Wink
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: