Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1000+ Miles on 1 Watt  (Read 27092 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »

Perhaps it is time for a new forum: QRO-the world of 5 watts and above. Where TIME and EASE of doing so is the main priority of those wishing to collect all available wallpaper and DX entities.
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »

Perhaps it is time for a new forum: QRO-the world of 5 watts and above. Where TIME and EASE of doing so is the main priority of those wishing to collect all available wallpaper and DX entities.

My idea for a new forum would be for those of us who are more interested in working QRPers than running QRP!  I get a big kick out of working QRP stations!

If you visit the QRP ARCI's award page that their DXing Awards they cleverly avoid the need for 80M DX contacts--folks are getting their 7Band WAC certificates by working all the higher HF bands, 40M through 10M.  It is quite the bummer to have your application returned because the award isn't offered!

In talking with my wife this morning, I realized that my perspective is different from most hams --I've had a stroke with severe ataxia, so I consider it to be quite the accomplishment to be able to do CW again, just as well as I did it before the stroke, after many years of slow  but steady rehab.   A big mistake made by many older adults in rehab is being too proud to do the very basics--it is actually true that you need to walk before you can run--I  had to learn how to walk as well.  Back when I had the stroke, many people mistakenly believed that you only had about 6 months to regain what you lost--after than you could expect little, if any, improvement.

Zack W1VT
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:29:56 AM by W1VT » Logged
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2013, 07:59:24 PM »

Hi Zack,

All the best to you with your continuing recovery from that stroke.  Not to hijack this topic, but I had a 'minor' stroke last year and while almost all signs of it are now gone, I occasionally discover odd things, which showed-up afterward. For decades I routinely sent code with either hand on a straight key at good speed, switching hands mid-traffic as needed to write , eat & etc. without a break in tempo.  A few months ago when I began using a straight key again rather than my bug, I would switch hands as usual , but my right hand had a noticable 'studder' compared to my left.  Hmmmm, that was a shock.  So, just as you suggested, I had to return to the basics and in my case re-learn the fine motor control of the right hand at higher speeds in CW. Interestingly; my right hand on a Vibroplex did not change at all - the change was only when using a straight key right handed; is THAT strange or what?

Looking forward to working you on the air QRP, QRO or in between.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 04:20:53 AM »

That is quite typical--while you can form new neural pathways to compensate for the stroke--they aren't hardwired like the original ones--you need constant use to keep them from being used for other purposes.

For me, finishing up 5B-DXCC when I did was great because it allows me to move on to outside activities--I keep in shape by growing 200+ rose bushes!  The neighbors love them!

Zack W1VT
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 09:53:02 AM »

Zack:  Found that 2 + 2 still equals 4.......finally dawned on me who you are.  We've emailed before at ARRL.  Don't know if you're still with them but at any rate, I wish you the best with your recovery.

Al - K8AXW
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: