Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Speaking of grounds - what does "Bonded" really mean?  (Read 5063 times)
K0AX

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:37:35 AM »

Does "bonded" just mean "electrically connected," or does it have a special specific meaning?

Thanks,
Ken
K0WKM
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »

Electrically connected. Rules also specify minimum conductor size for the ground, usually #6.
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »

Bonded implies a permanent connection in code-speak.  Compare to "connected" which could be what a plug does in a receptacle.  The details of bonding depend on what's being bonded.  For ground rods, for instance, it has to be a listed compression fitting or exothermic welding, but for "green wire" inside a junction box, then wire nuts are sufficient. 

All is revealed in Art 250...

There is a move to change a lot of the requirements that say "grounded" to "bonded" to avoid confusion. For instance there's the perennial problem of the "grounding" conductor (the electrical safety, green wire ground) and the "grounded" conductor (the neutral in residential installations). 
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »

I wish someone would make CadWeld one-shots commonly available.  I'd love to be able to really bond, although Georgia Copper does sell the high-temp 5% silver solder in single sticks [it's about $90 a pound!] so you can also use that, perhaps in conjuction with the compression fitting will be nearly as good.

The nice thing about CadWelds or SS is that you won't ever wonder if your bolts are working loose.

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 09:54:08 AM »

Here's a supplier for the real thing...Thermite welding!

http://www.erico.com/products/E1145WB06.asp

K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »

Check with your local welding supply type store for a better price on the "hard" silver content braze, or silver solder rods. (Flow them with a common small hand held torch using MAPP Gas)
Last time I checked, (Just over a year ago, They were about 2 bucks a stick. (One stick will do lots of connections if you are careful) But now with silver prices going through the roof, I bet they are going up in price fast.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:13 PM »

Bonded does simply mean a good, solid electrical connection, whether it is mechanically or thermally made.  That's all, no more--or less.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2010, 11:32:36 PM »

Even with silver prices skyrocketing, True hard silver solder is still reasonable priced.  I just bought a one pound sleeve (28 sticks) of Harris "Sil-Foss" 15% silver braze rod on Ebay for just under 50 bucks.....    Just under 1.80 a stick, Including shipping. Not bad considering one stick can do lots of connections if you are careful.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 07:12:55 AM »

Bonded also implies a "permanent" connection as to apposed to a plug and cord connection.
KG6UTS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2010, 02:31:28 AM »

Well, 'Bonded' with Old Grand Dad is 100 proof but out on our field sites/installations it means a welded or fused connection.

EdZ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: