The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m/70cm mobile antenna  (Read 22218 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2010, 07:31:16 AM »

I'm looking for a new mobile antenna.. I've been using Antenna Specialties  commercial antennas for the past few years on 2m only.. now that I have a 440 radio again.. I'm looking at my options.. I'm trying to keep length under control, as I use a magmount on the roof of my car, so a 6' tall mobile antenna wouldn't be the hot setup.. but neither would a base loaded 12" 1/4 wave Smiley  I'm pretty partial to the 5/8 wave on 2m as I've had the best luck with those.. but I'm not hung up on having one either..

I'm looking at the Commet SSB-5NMO  (looking for an NMO Mount)
38" is about the length I'm looking for.. probably not much longer..
3.0/5.5db

the Diamond NR770 HNNMO   seems to be a nearly identical antenna.. same price range, same height, same gain
3.0/5.5db
both are about $60

MFJ has a similar unit
40" long, 3.0/5.5db  $41.95 includes a free nmo adapter...

any recomendations? or is it as it looks to me like it's gonna be eeny-meeny-miney-moe on this one?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 01:56:18 PM »

Forget the Pacific Rim junk. Larsen NMO270 is the best dual-band available. It is nearly indestructible and the best value for the dollar on the market.

It works best on a proper NMO mount installed in the middle of the roof. There are so many things wrong with using a mag mount.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0RGR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »

I will also vouch for the Larsen NMO270. It's actually a half-wave antenna on 2, but it outperforms a 1/4 wave and is close to a 5/8 in performance. Mag-mounted, lip mounted, or hole mounted on the trunk so it easily clears garage doors, it will work very well. It will work better on the roof of the car. 
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:11:29 PM »

First you need to consider your usage terrain on VHF/UHF.
Flat land, foothills, mountains/canyons?

1/4 wave is good for foothills/mountain/canyons, poor flat land distance.
5/8 wave is good for foothills, marginal mountain/canyon, & moderate flat land.
1/2 wave is moderate foothill, poor mountain/canyon, best flat land distance.

Being that I live in flat land USA, I use a dual band 1/2 wave "J" antenna on top my SUV. I get into LOS repeaters 90mi (depending on repeater HAAT), and simplex near 50mi. I made my J antenna from a CD whip - works great.

N6KB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:21:31 PM »

I use Larsen antennas for all my VHF and UHF mobile operations. They are well built and perform well. You can probably buy cheaper antennas with similar specifications, and if you do you will get just that: a cheaper antenna.
VA3WXM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »

I run separate V and U antennas but if you're looking for a single solution, definitely go with the Larsen NMO270.
KC8QMU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:02 PM »

I can vouch for the Diamond NR770.... mine has been getting beat up on the roof of my truck now for about 7 or 8 years now...... still works great.......
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 07:20:05 PM »

hi,

I've used the Cushcraft CS 270M with good results.

73 james
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »

Maxrad MDB-1444 $39.95 @ Associated Radio. 38" 2 db vhf / 5 db uhf.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:22:55 AM »

N6JSX is correct, you need to consider terrain when selecting an antenna. If a gain antenna is appropriate for your area, then I would suggest the MFJ-1729 Power Gain dual band magnetic antenna. It is very popular locally and highly rated on eHam.net. It comes with its own magnetic mount, a PL259 and BNC connector for $39.95. In addition, it is painted low profile black and is very flexible for garages. Some eHam.net users report that it outperformed the more expensive antennas (Comet and Diamond). What more could you ask?  Wink
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 05:22:10 PM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
BG2US

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »

I run separate V and U antennas but if you're looking for a single solution, definitely go with the Larsen NMO270.

Also I have separate U and V antennas.

If you use a single antena, try Diamond NR770 for mobile, but Diamond SG-7900 for  fixed that 1.58m long.
K4KXX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 07:02:23 PM »

My comments probably won't mean much as I have only had my ticket for a little over 2 years. BUT having used larson antennas on patrol cars and fire trucks for more years than I care to remember, they are the best dollar for dollar antenna on themarket. used for 3 years on a patrol car then switched to another for 4 more and on and on. Absolutely the best antenna I have ever used... Just my humble opinion.
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 09:07:11 AM »

I used a Diamond SG-7900 for probably 12 years before parking garages finally destroyed it.
VE3WI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 05:08:44 PM »

I've had a Comet SBB-7NMO on a triple mag mount on the roof of my truck for several years.  Works fine.  I drove into a parking garage last year, forgot to fold it down, & bent the upper element.  I contacted NCG & they brought a replacement element to Dayton for me - no charge.  I'll buy another Comet when I need another mobile antenna.
Dave, VE3WI
KD5BVX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »

I will second, third, fourth, fifteenth, whatever it is the Larsen NMO 2/70. Great antenna. I've used some of the cheaper ones (Comet and Diamond) but the Larsen outshines them.  

And you can never overstate enough how much better a properly drilled NMO mount will perform.  Mag mounts and other mounts may work but, if you can do it, a properly drilled NMO will outperform a mag mount (plus they're safer and less damaging to the vehicle surface) time and time again.  [Disclaimer: I know not everyone can drill and mount and NMO for one reason or another, such as clearance over their vehicle or whatever, so that's why I said "if you can do it".]

Of course, this is a nearly-7-year-old thread that someone resurrected a few days ago but I find it a great testament to the Larsen that it is still the highly regarded antenna that it is.  Worth every penny!

Mark
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: