The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2m/70cm mobile antenna  (Read 22152 times)
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 12:12:12 PM »

I do prefer a permanent mount. Seems that real life performance claims are overstated for 2 meters.

With 5/8 mag mounts we've had QSOs at 25 miles, that's already stretching the limits of the radio horizon.

Permanent mount performance does look better on paper/charts.
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2017, 05:25:51 PM »

I finally did a better check of SWR on my 2015 Subaru Forest hatch mount Larsen 70/2 antenna using a miniVNA on Bluetooth some distance from the vehicle - I get SWR ~1.2 at APRS 144.390, which is pretty good! I've bonded the antenna mount to the hatch and hatch to body, but not body to hood or exhaust system yet. Warm weather project!

Bret/N4SRN

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2017, 07:05:28 PM »

It is nice that you are getting a low SWR but keep in mind that SWR is not a figure of merit.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
N4SRN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2017, 04:18:46 AM »

True - I'm only glad it's not as high as others have found with their installs!

Bret/N4SRN

It is nice that you are getting a low SWR but keep in mind that SWR is not a figure of merit.

- Glenn W9IQ

Bret/N4SRN
Bedford, NH  USA
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »

I have had the same Larson 2/70 on several pickup trucks for decades.  I am not sure how old it is.  It still works great.  I did paint the coil a couple of times to color match the trucks.  It is one of the older ones with the solid matching coil mid whip.  All Larson products have been excellent.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2017, 04:28:23 AM »

Seems that real life performance claims are overstated for 2 meters.
With 5/8 mag mounts we've had QSOs at 25 miles, that's already stretching the limits of the radio horizon.

The range depends on what is on other end of QSO. On a decent 2m repeater I have worked them 50+ miles away with 5/8 wave  mag mount. I have worked simplex with my home a little over 40 miles heading to Columbus. There are no hard fixed range rules as it depends on what you are working and the terrain that ultimately determines range.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
VE6BGM

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »

I have used just about every make of mobile antenna.  The comet and diamond I have had good success and still using continuously for over 10 years permanently mounted outside  [Diamond SB7nmo].  Last summer, after hearing of all the great reviews of Larsen 2/70 I decided to pay the high price [in Canada] and purchased one.  SWR was way off the scale.  Put the diamond back on and hardly moved.  Then I read that Larsen had recently been bought out and some of the quality control at the new place was not as good.  So I checked the connection on the NMO and found the flimsy metal contact was not touching the NMO.  Pulled it down and reconnected and had better SWR.  I have left it on for driving in the city but haven't really noticed it is any better than the comet. And ever month I remove and ensure that the metal contact is still down. When I go out into the country on many of my road trips I put the Comet back on as this seems to work the best.  The comet I use most is the CA-2x4SR as it seems to perform the best.  Have trusted it a couple of times working floods and other events.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: