Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TNC vs Sound Card Interface  (Read 510 times)
KI6WLP

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2009, 05:08:42 PM »

I've seen several devices reviewed on eHam.net and sold in stores that interface the pc to your ham radio. It appears the TNC's and sound interfaces can do a lot of similar functions. What are the advanatges of each type of device: TNCs and Sound card Interfaces, and when would you use one compared to another. Is there a preference of using a TNC or sound card interface if I'm going to use it for Winlink or other communication software, is there a benefit of one over another?

Craig - KI6WLP
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 08:16:51 AM »

With a sound card you only need software and some interface method.  Much of the software is free.  You can build your own "interface" from junk.

A TNC is expensive and old used one do not do many of the modern modulation types.

I would only consider a TNC for packet radio.  Since the internet came on the scene, packet is not very hot these days, so I would not over pay for a TNC.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »

If you are going to utilize WinLink then you would need a hardware based TNC.  Some affordable TNCs will do Pactor I but, not all nodes will accept connections at that speed.  The only other TNCs capable of doing Pactor II & III are in the $900.00++ range.

There is an on-going project to produce a software based WinLink TNC calle WinMor.  This project is still in testing with no published deployment date.

As for the other digital modes, a software solution would be the easiest to implement.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: