Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Portable setup in Van  (Read 1130 times)
AB9DF

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »

I just wanted to get an opinion from the experts regarding my setup for portable operation while operating from my 97 Chevy Astro Van.  When I am out of town and want to play on the Geratol Net at 3.668 mhz.  I simply take my Hustler six foot solid mast and screw it into my gumball mount which was drilled into the center of my roof and I operate that way while I am not moving.  My mast is a hustler mast about 6 foot tall.  On top of it, I screw on my 80 mtr small coil antenna.  My concern is trying to maximize efficiency and it seems that the location is better than on my ball mount located on the side of the van.  By the way, the ball mount is permanently drilled and mounted on the side of the van.  I suppose that the length of the mast is part of the antenna itself.  I say this because the mast and coil and whip are probably 10 feet long.  The base starting at the gumball mounted in the center of the roof.  Does this layout make sense or would it be better being mounted on the side of the vehicle?  Any thoughts?  Thanks!  Rob AB9DF
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:37:33 AM »

If it works well enough for you, don't break it.

There is more to the equation, if you really want to get serious. The optimal location of the coil is directly related to the ground loss. If there wasn't any ground loss at all, the the coil would be best placed very near the bottom. The Hustler series all have the coil at about the 65% mark in the over all length. In this case, it would be better to have it just below dead center. This raises the question, how much difference would there be? Not much, perhaps a couple of dB.

You could do about as well by removing the metal end caps from the coil, and readjusting the resonance.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: