Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need advice - can't break thread-lock loose from setscrews (K400 mount)  (Read 15692 times)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 07:17:44 PM »

I agree with you; so don't you think it would be a good idea for the responsible eHam.net "expert" to give complete and specific advice, such as the exact product number of the the magical anti-seize Locktite formula (out of the supposed 25) that would work correctly? In addition, in consideration of the fact that he is communicating with a new ham, wouldn't it be a good idea to let the inquirer know what will happen if he uses the most commonly available Locktite formulas; blue, red and green? I would never tell a new ham to use Locktite on an antenna assembly just for the reason you gave.  Wink

It would seem to me that you would not want to use any kind of thread sealant that would interfere with metal to metal contact on an antenna mount anyway, unless it was formulated to increase conductivity, like GB Ox-Guard. I think someone just got caught up defending his expertise after he made an obviously wrong statement.  Roll Eyes  

Anyway, thanks again Dave for giving the best and most complete answer to the problem!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 09:58:08 PM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 05:12:06 AM »

Alan gave that answer first, very early on in this thread. 

My thoughts on the rest of all this is that each ham is the one  holding final responsibility for what they do with any advice given on any internet forum anywhere. 

And I don't know and don't care if the actual exact type of loctite was specified or merely referred to, the person selecting and using that product holds final responsibility as to their actions. 

We all make mistakes. 

We all learn from our mistakes, or at least we should.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »

"Alan gave that answer first, very early on his thread."

No, he gave half an answer, as usual, and unfortunately half an answer is not good enough for a new hams. The complete and correct answer was drill out the screws and retap the holes for larger set screws. Thanks again DaveGrin

"My thoughts on the rest of all this is that each ham is the one holding final responsibility for what they do with any advice given on any internet forum anywhere."

You might want to talk to your lawyer about that, if you have one (obviously not). If you don't have one, maybe you and KOBG can split the cost, since your engaged in the same activity. I am sure it is only a matter of time until a new ham to sues one of the eHam.net "experts" for some of their less than wonderful "advice." We live in a litigious world and lawsuits over internet information have already occurred.  Wink

"And I don't know and don't care if the exact type of Locktite was specified or merely referred to (neither does KOBG and that is the problem), the person selecting and using that product holds final responsibility as to their actions (until the lawyer sends you a notice of legal action).

After reviewing Locktite's products on the internet I did not find one that was listed as an "anti-seize" formula. They do have a silicone spray like WD40, but we weren't talking about silicone sprays. I think someone gave the wrong information, again!  Roll Eyes

"We all make mistakes."

Except eHam.net experts, right?  Grin

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 07:31:55 AM »

So Vern, what would you do?  You've made 5 posts on this thread alone critical of other's suggestions, but you've offered nothing in the way of help to the original poster.  So I'm sure we'd all be interested in your wisdom regarding this fellow's problem.  I'm not interested in glib comments, or emoticons.  Just tell us what you'd recommend.  Can you do that?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 07:46:38 AM »

Vern, why don't you go to Loctite's web site, and see for yourself.

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »

Like many of the compulsive posters with over 1,000 posts, I had to take you off of "ignore" to read your comment.  Wink

"So Vern, what would you do?"

First, I posted the manufacturer's recommended method of removal from the instructions of using 400 degree heat, but stated that it would destroy the mount and damage paint. Yes, I actually read the instructions before using a product because I am not in the eHam.net "expert" gang that thinks they are the smartest people in the world!  Roll Eyes

Second, I stated that I would never recommend using Locktite on an antenna assembly. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of eHam.net "expert" advice.  Grin

Third, when a good and complete suggestion was made by Dave, I did not criticize it, I lauded it, so your assertion is not correct!  Kiss

Now it is time to put you, KOBG and KE3WD back on "ignore!"  Lips sealed
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 08:28:43 AM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »

"Vern, why don't you go to the Locktite's web site and see for yourself."

Why don't you read my posts so I don't have to repeat myself? I already stated that I went to the Locktite site and found nothing listed as an "anti-seize" formula. I challenge you to give us the product number of this "magical" Locktite "anti-seize" formula now!  Wink

I would suggest reading the manufacturer's instructions before making recommendations to new hams regarding Locktite products.  Embarrassed
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:09 AM »

Well, Vern, you're wrong.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products.shtml

The above URL is just their consumer products. They make all manner of OEM adhesives, lubricants, and yes, anti seize compounds. Fact is, I remember using a Loctite product to apply to the various parts of a Corvair engine. It was clearly an anti seize compound made by Loctite.

N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2010, 04:40:30 PM »

Some examples of Loctite Anti Seize compounds in case anyone cares:

KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2010, 07:51:21 PM »

Yes, your absolutely right, I was wrong. There are Locktite "anti-seize" products and some of them even appear to be conductive. However, KOBG could not provide the product numbers. They had to be given by someone else.  Embarrassed

So what have we learned? Well, lets look at KOBG's last post.  Wink

"Fact is, I remember using a Locktite product to apply to the various parts of a Corvair engine. It was clearly an anti-seize compound made by Locktite."

In other words, KOBG has never used a Locktite anti-seize compound on antenna mounts, but he is stating that it can be used as such. In other words, a guess based on no actual experience with the particular product for that use. I don't know how far you could transmit on a Covair engine. Such is the information often disseminated by the eHam.net "experts!"

New hams beware!  Shocked

W3LK, I placed you on "ignore" as a member of the eHam.net "expert" gang long ago, thank goodness!  Tongue

KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »

I have a lot of experience in the automotive world with LockTite products.. Extreme heat.. or drilling are about your only two options for removing any thread locker (including rust)

I think it was mentioned earlier, but welding shops carry this stuff that absorbs heat for making welds on delicate items.. using that with a small torch might get you what you need.

If you know someone with a small oxy-acytlene torch, that would be the better way to go, the faster you can get those screws hot the less time there is for the heat to conduct outwards into things you don't want hot.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »

I'd still drill and retap. Maybe an hours worth of work (if you take a beverage break)  Wink The set screws are not tempered and are actually pretty soft metal (which is why they seem to strip so quickly even without locktite).

I would worry about changing the temper of the mount material by heating. Plus the heat is going to do a number on the powdercoat/ paint of the mount.

By the time you run around and get everything you need to heat it, do the job, and fix the damage, you could have ordered a new mount from Hong Kong, had it shipped by rowboat and installed on the other car.

Dave

I have a lot of experience in the automotive world with LockTite products.. Extreme heat.. or drilling are about your only two options for removing any thread locker (including rust)

I think it was mentioned earlier, but welding shops carry this stuff that absorbs heat for making welds on delicate items.. using that with a small torch might get you what you need.

If you know someone with a small oxy-acytlene torch, that would be the better way to go, the faster you can get those screws hot the less time there is for the heat to conduct outwards into things you don't want hot.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 10:53:46 AM by Dave Sorenson » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 11:08:35 AM »

I'd still drill and retap......

I think the problem with that is the threads in the mount are done before the lip id formed. Once the lip has been rolled over and I don't think the space on the other side of the threads is not deep enough to permit the tap to run all the way thru.
KJ4OBR

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 12:18:08 PM »

I've drilled and re-tapped an antennex trunk mount and didn't have an issue. If it fits over the lip of a trunk he should have enough space to get the small tap through. If not, get a cheap tap at harbor freight and grind the point off and finish the process with the modified tap. Still less cost, damage, and hassle then trying to heat it.

Dave

I'd still drill and retap......

I think the problem with that is the threads in the mount are done before the lip id formed. Once the lip has been rolled over and I don't think the space on the other side of the threads is not deep enough to permit the tap to run all the way thru.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 03:15:37 PM »

I select the right drillbit size and don't have a need for a tap. 

Of course, I'm also wondering how someone who claims that they've put someone else on "ignore" can then answer successive posts of that supposedly ignored poster...

73 all
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: