Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sencore service department.......  (Read 1067 times)
N2OAM

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2010, 07:56:10 AM »

Sent my LC-75 in for repair on 8/10. They received it on 8/13. Waited almost 1 month before I called to check the status of the repair. Nice lady (Maggie) told me it was being worked on. About 10 days later, I sent an e-mail, got no response. Another phone call and they are still working on it?? I'm getting the feeling that something is not right.

Anyone else have experience with the Service Department at Sencore? Thoughts & opinions welcome.

tnx & 73,
Bob,
N2OAM
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »

Not a critique of Sencore but of the used test equipment market (also applicable to used radios):

Very often it will be more economical to buy another piece of used equipment than ask for and pay for factory service on an older unit.

It doesn't matter if the problem is a fifty cent part or a custom VLSI IC. The factory service department knows the street value of a working unit is less than the time and labor to do a repair and the net result is what you see... some are very reluctant to inform you of this fact. Others tell you up front.

There are a few exceptions where the OEM maintains parts stocks for 10-years-old-or-older equipment and will be willing to help a skilled ham debug and repair the unit. Those are truly the exceptions today. Usually it's wiser to assume that you'll be on your own with regards to repair, and that's great if you're up to the task. Lots of older equipment is maintainable by you economically... it's just not economically viable for the factory to do the work.

I'm guessing a LC-75 dates from the 80's? Maybe even late 70's?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: