Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW SS Next Weekend!  (Read 2073 times)
N2EY

Ignore
« on: October 29, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

Subject line sez it all. ARRL site has rules and exact times. A great way to build your skills, work new states, and have fun.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 01:45:48 PM »

Best of the bunch...hands down!  Used to work it faithfully. Never had a 'Sweep', but came close a few times. Never had the patience to wait in line for that VY8. QRP makes it more fun. Gud Luk OM................
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 05:30:46 PM »

Best of the bunch...hands down!  Used to work it faithfully. Never had a 'Sweep', but came close a few times. Never had the patience to wait in line for that VY8. QRP makes it more fun. Gud Luk OM................

Thanks! My first was in 1968, just after I got the Advanced.

One of the things that makes SS really different is that the exchange is quite long, and does NOT include a signal report! So it takes a bit more skill.

As to the VY8, here's a story for ya:

Some years back I built an Elecraft K2, and tried it out on SS. As you know, with 5 watts it takes a bit more patience...

I was on 20 early Saturday evening when I heard a tremendous pile calling the elusive VY1. Rarest of the rare in SS, plus quite a fur piece from EPA. My 5 watts and inverted V against high power and beams was a pretty slim chance, but I tried anyway. No luck!

Then, after only a few tries, the VY1 sent "QRP ONLY" and the pile suddenly disappeared. I worked him on the first go! He then proceeded to work a bunch of QRP stations before going back to all-comers.

It was a great moment - and a great move. Sharp op, that one.

73 de Jim, N2EY

N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 08:01:45 AM »

[I guess it WAS 'VY1'...I just don't remember]

Yes....QRP makes it ALL more fun. In fact.... three years in a row, I won the Northwest Division, QRP.  Sounds good, eh?  Well....  if you run QRP in the  **SSB** sweepstakes, and in THIS division.... you are the only entrant !!!   HI HI.  In the fourth year somebody else, with more pizzazz got into the act and I fell to a mere Second place.  HI HI

Some time, while you still have the strength, try the DX Contest...on 40 phone, working only split. Real giggle to hear YOUR CALL in the horrific noise and racket down in the low end....

Good times. Another KW6 and I shared winning the All Asian DX Contest in 1961. HE worked SSB, I worked the Music Mode. Again, we were the only In-Class entrants. Lovely dragon decorated certificate that still hangs on my shack wall..

73  ES VY GL on that 'Sweep
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »

Please do participate and send in a log.

Participation in CW Sweepstakes has been uneven over the years,
but has been tending upwards the past few years.

According to the data I have, it appears that Sweepstakes/CW
participation peaked in 1958, with 1677 logs submitted (log
submission totals weren't reported every year in QST, so
my data is not complete).

It appears to have not equaled that level in the half-century
since, although participation has been increasing steadily over
the last six years.

My data is at:

http://sites.google.com/site/arsw5ese/home/sweepstakes-participation

Last year, 1552 logs were submitted in Sweepstakes/CW:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/ContestResults/2009/SS-CW-2009-QST.pdf

That was apparently the most since the late-50's or early-60's.

**YOU** can help to retire the 50+ year old Sweepstakes/CW record by

o participating in ARRL Sweepstakes/CW next weekend

o submit your log to the ARRL's Contest Branch

Full details at:

http://www.arrl.org/sweepstakes

Scott W5ESE

AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 10:13:30 AM »

I am going to give this a try.
I have never really worked a contest before.
I don't do computer logging.

Where does one find a "dupe sheet" ?

I can remember seeing one at field day back in the late 70s but I have very little recollection of what it looked like. Is there some place you can download one ?

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 12:34:34 PM »

Dupe Sheets........ were always a pain. For many years now *I* have let The Contenders sweat 'dupe'.  *I* keep a 'scribble log'....Call and Exchange.  If you really get involved more deeply, the scribble log concept may become burdensome. If so...when in doubt, and you can't remember.... call 'em!   Easy to reply to a mild chew out with 'SRI'.

For actual ARRL submission, there are a few programs.  But unless they have changed the rules, you can submit just about anything...which will be dealt with as a Check Log, and show you were in the action; a statistic.

Actually operating is a bit different. *I* prefer the search and pounce method, myself, as I am not a Big Gun, not computer operated, and..frankly... it slows things down a little for this particular OT!  HI HI  If you find yourself with strength enough to do long hours, you may come within range of a sweep...Hard as it is to believe I once only needed  "SB" [Santa Barbara], and that year never heard ONE of 'em!  Likewise PQ was hard. Finally I drilled a hole in the bottom of 20 with  CQ PQ PQ PQ...... etc, and after about an hour one showed up!

Great contest.

dm
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »

Ok, but let's say you knew a guy who wanted to use a dupe sheet and this friend didn't really know what one looks like, how it works or where to find one or an example of one.............................. where would this friend of yours find one ?

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 03:38:05 PM »

Beats me. 'Back When'... manual dupe sheets were easy, you had  'W7'.....   Then along came the confusion factor of 'K7'.  [Getting tougher].  Then 'WA7'..... and the cat was out of the bag.  I can't honestly think of HOW you could organize one today...with the wild prefixes.

I'd say to the guy that wanted to use a Dupe Sheet, 'Go for it, OM.  Too much for me'... By the time he found the right column........... a couple hundred Q's had gone by!

dm
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 07:07:20 PM »

Here's what I did for a dupe sheet back when I did paper logging:

Take a piece of paper of convenient size (letter, legal, tabloid, depending on how many QSOs you expect to make and how big your desk is) and hold it sideways (landscape style).

Draw lines to divide it into 10 spaces. I liked 5 over 5 blocks.

Label each block with numbers from 1 through 0.

Now, whenever you work a station, write the full call into the corresponding block that has the same number as in the callsign.

Unless you make more than a couple of hundred QSOs, you'll have only a few dozen per block at most. Easy enough to scan for dupes.

The log sheet is more complex but you can download a sample in PDF from the ARRL website.

Good luck and be sure to send in a log!

73 de Jim, N2EY
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »

Maybe this isnt' for me after all.
After doing some research on the web, I read a guy's hints to being successful in the SS.
He advises starting off on Saturday at 35 wpm or so.
I might be able to copy an exchange at 35 wpm but, maybe not. I don't really want to play unless I am going to do it seriously and try to get a good score. Don't get me wrong, I know I am not going to be competitive, but I don't want to struggle with every QSO.
Maybe I will just stick to the WARC bands and let the real contesters dominate the bands.

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 08:19:59 AM »

Maybe this isnt' for me after all.
After doing some research on the web, I read a guy's hints to being successful in the SS.
He advises starting off on Saturday at 35 wpm or so.
I might be able to copy an exchange at 35 wpm but, maybe not. I don't really want to play unless I am going to do it seriously and try to get a good score. Don't get me wrong, I know I am not going to be competitive, but I don't want to struggle with every QSO.
Maybe I will just stick to the WARC bands and let the real contesters dominate the bands.

How do *you* define "do it seriously" and "a good score"? 24 hours on the air? 100,000 points? a clean sweep?

Or maybe half that? A third?

It all depends on your point of view. To an experienced Big Gun op, the expectations may be very high. They have a reputation to live up to plus they want to do better than ever before.

But you can't let that deter you from the fun. Try it out and see how you do.

Consider that if you've never done SS before, anything you do will be a personal record.

73 de Jim, N2EY

(first SS 1968)
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 09:38:05 AM »

I absolutely agree with OM...Jim.  Granted, there will be some Hot-Rods, racing along [remember, most of THOSE are using computer generated sending and receiving]. One of the Hunt and Pounce 'things' that is good is that you can 'camp' on some fast station and bit by bit get all his exchange except the NUMBER he will give you. *I* can hold my own in some pretty steamy QSO's but have sometimes gotten that LAST number AFTER *my* QSO wid the guy!

Is your goal to make a clean Sweep? Na... never on your first. How about the happy, less challenging W.A.S. in one week-end; very do-able. Maybe to simply get on with a mob and find how well your rig/ear selectivity works?  Lots of good, fun, reasons to NOT be turned off my some LID telling you sad stories.   QRQ bother you? Amazing how quickly YOU find your own CW picks up, when you use it.

The main reason I think the entire Dupe Sheet nonsense is a lost cause is because in a S/S exchange there is SO much to 'get down'.... then SEND back, unless you happen to be one of those lucky few that can write with one hand and run the keyer with the other [it can be done], the simple act of running the QSO and documenting is barely done when you hear your call for the next one!   Manual Dupe Sheet?   **FORGET IT**

Do get on, OM...  Even if you fade fast, I guarantee you will have fun............... Wish I was young/strong enough for it again.  These days I manage two or three hours on Saturday afternoon.

dm
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 01:28:42 PM »

Half an hour to go - rig warming up...

TALLY HO!

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 02:41:58 PM »

C-H-A-R-G-E.... Lord Jim !!!  No quarter!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: