Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am I nuts to leave Ten Tec?  (Read 5168 times)
K2JF

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2010, 02:35:32 AM »

I've got a Ten Ten Omni VI and of course I just love the quiet and efficient QSK. But it's time to trade 'er in and I'm looking at the Icom 751A, a rig I once owned and regretted selling. I don't remember what the QSK was like on the Icom but the QST reviews of the 751 (not A) mention that QSK works well below 20 WPM but not above. Can anyone tell me if it is not an issue with the 751A? Will I just be disappointed in QSK no matter what rig I get after using a Ten Tec? What rigs, modern or otherwise have QSK that's at least in the same ball park as the Ten Tec?
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 06:13:37 AM »

"Will I just be disappointed in QSK no matter what rig I get after using a Ten Tec?"

Probably  Huh
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 06:36:48 AM »

About two years ago, I gave up my Ten Tec Omni 6 (Opt. 1) and acquired the Elecraft K3.  The Omni 6's are fine radios (I was one of the first to upgrade mine with a CW roofing filter from Inrad); however there's nothing I miss about it now that I have the K3. 

Elecraft's QSK is excellent and was recently improved to meet the demands of high speed operators.  Here's a quote from the firmware release notes:

"MCU 4.03 / DSP 2.60, 6-10-2010

* ULTRA-FAST BREAK-IN AND QRQ CW (“CW+”):
If you set CONFIG:CW QRQ to ON in the menu, the K3 will
provide extremely fast break-in at all CW speeds. It will also
allow both the internal keyer and external keying to work
at up to 100 WPM. (Be sure to turn on both QSK and VOX.)
The “+” mode icon turns on when CW+ is in effect."

I can't vouch for the QSK performance at 100 wpm, since I'm generally calling DX at 20 -25 wpm; however those are the manufacturers claims.  I do really enjoy operating QSK with my K3 and Ten Tec amplifier. 

73 & GL,
Chuck  NI0C 
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:56 AM »

Why not hold on to the T-T at the same time until you're certain you're happy with its "replacement?"

The K3 does get very good reviews for QSK (I don't have one).

I have a Jupiter and an Orion and they're both flawless for QSK at any speed I could ever use (about 50 wpm).

The Orion wouldn't be a bad replacement for the OMNI-VI, although the IC-751A would be a lot cheaper.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »

Both the OrionII and the K3 are fine units and folks banter back and forth as to which is better.  I have the Orion II and it does great QSK as does any ten-tec radio.  Before you buy any radio to replace the Omni VI, please find a way to try out whatever you decide to get.  You certainly wouldn't buy a car without seeing it and test driving it.
Art
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 05:32:53 PM »

I've got a Ten Ten Omni VI and of course I just love the quiet and efficient QSK. But it's time to trade 'er in

If you like the rig, why trade it in?

73 de Jim, N2EY
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »

*EXACTLY*...Jim! 
NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 08:40:09 AM »

Sounds like a case of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), or else the op is just trying to help the economy. 

Hey, whatever makes you happy.  Life's short.  Enjoy!

Bill in Pasadena
(still clunking along with a TR4Cw boatanchor)
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 09:12:51 AM »

HI HI, Bill... Between us we could probably tie up The Queen Mary!  But when it comes to my T-T Corsairs(s)... remember 'Moses' ?  "Out of my cold dead hands...."

dm
N5EP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 10:39:37 AM »

You didn't say why you want to get a new rig.  The only criterion you mentioned is that the replacement has to have QSK in the same league as the OMNI VI.  Perhaps if you could come up with a list of features the OMNI VI lacks that you want in a new rig it would help.  What features of the Icom 751A attract you?

Do you want more SDR features?  Maybe Flex is the way to go.

If not, have you looked at your rig's successor, the OMNI VII, which is a great rig with the same QSK that you love?

Steve, N5EP
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »

Do you want more SDR features?  Maybe Flex is the way to go.

Flex has a long list of features but it is not an enjoyable CW rig.

I doubt someone coming from an Omni VI or other Ten-Tec rig and appreciates the finer details of CW operation (QSK just one of them), would appreciate a Flex on CW.

As for enjoyable on CW, anyone has to note in the past several years that a huge chunk of passionate CW ops are now using Elecraft rigs. Not just in the US, but all over the world.

Tim.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:37:21 AM »

I agree with everyone... just get the 751a also... I am financially strapped and have dreamed of getting a jupiter, but I would never get rid of my 718....  I will just wait and save and THEN get the other rig Smiley  Even if it takes years..

The Orion is too nice to part with... unless finances are that you have to downgrade (possible in these times)...

NG2O

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 11:10:14 AM »

Having owned both an Omni VII and an Icom 751A, I can't imagine why you would go to the ICOM.  It's old technology, not nearly as good a receiver, and just can't compare to the TenTec.  Stick with the TenTec, or upgrade to an Omni VII or a K3, but don't take two steps backward! 

Joe  W2REH
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 05:04:28 PM »

Having owned both an Omni VII and an Icom 751A, I can't imagine why you would go to the ICOM.  It's old technology, not nearly as good a receiver, and just can't compare to the TenTec.  Stick with the TenTec, or upgrade to an Omni VII or a K3, but don't take two steps backward! 

Joe  W2REH

Ditto.  The Omni-VI is a better rig in many ways than the IC-751A is, although it's also larger and takes up more space.

AE5I

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 05:10:32 PM »

Will I just be disappointed in QSK no matter what rig I get after using a Ten Tec?

Yes!

If you'd like a new rig, then I would highly recommend an Omni VII.  It's the best CW rig I've every operated and you can add Collins mechanical filters to it (all the way down to 300 cycles).  It'll dig a tough one outta the mud better than anything else I've ever had.  The QSK is also the best I've ever experienced.  When I run an amp, I use an Ameritron QSK-5 PIN diode switch to interface the rig to the amp and you get full power and still have the Omni-VII's great QSK operation.

If you're used to good, full QSK, I can't imagine that you'd be happy without it.

Best of luck shopping!

Tom AE5I
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: