Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ten-Tec rig, the "Eagle"  (Read 13769 times)
K0MU

Ignore
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »

New yahoo group formed for new Ten-Tec Eagle:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TenTec_Eagle

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 07:24:28 PM »

Why would anyone want to join a discussion group about a rig that's not even available yet?
K0MU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 08:17:34 PM »

Why would anyone want to join a discussion group about a rig that's not even available yet?

Good question.  I understand that quite a few people have already spun the knob of the radio either at the Ten-Tec hamfest or as beta testers. 

I thought that perhaps if there are some hams out there who are almost ready to purchase a radio might want to consider this model along with all the other excellent brands out there ala K3, 590, etc. before they pick one out.

The list already has over 310 people on it.

disclaimer:  I am not affiliated with Ten-Tec in any way other than owning a couple of models.  Just spreading the word.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 08:23:27 PM »

Okay, I didn't realize that there were some radios out there being tested.  I just went to the Ten Tec web site and saw that the radio was unavailable, awaiting FCC approval. 

It is pretty exciting-- in this lousy economy-- to see another offering by an American company.  I wish them well.

Chuck  NI0C
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 07:14:26 AM »

The new Ten Tec look interesting. It appears to be aimed for the same performance and price class as the Elecraft K3 and the Kenwood TS-590.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 03:49:54 PM »

Saw a picture of it on the Ten-Tec web site. WAY too few knobs for serious use. And no internal automatic antenna tuner.

Looks like a toy.
N5VTU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 07:23:22 PM »

The Eagle is available with an automatic internal tuner option, Model 599AT.  I agree the knobs are kind of scarce which must mean extensive menus are used or PC control via the USB port would be required.
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 07:23:57 AM »

Saw a picture of it on the Ten-Tec web site. WAY too few knobs for serious use. And no internal automatic antenna tuner.

Looks like a toy.
I've never used the "Eagle" but looking at the pictures, the front knobs all make sense. Buttons too.

The "inner ham" in me still looks for plate load and tune knobs but this is 2010, I gotta stop expecting them :-)

And having looked at the manuals it looks like this is a user interface that concentrates on usability rather than having a zillion configuration menus and options. This I applaud.

This does not appear to be a "feature-laden" radio. I view this as a strength but others (who love going into their YaeComWood menus and tweaking option #213 to setting #11) will view it as a weakness.

Tim.
K4RCH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 01:53:55 PM »

I've never used the "Eagle" but looking at the pictures, the front knobs all make sense. Buttons too.

The "inner ham" in me still looks for plate load and tune knobs but this is 2010, I gotta stop expecting them :-)

And having looked at the manuals it looks like this is a user interface that concentrates on usability rather than having a zillion configuration menus and options. This I applaud.

This does not appear to be a "feature-laden" radio. I view this as a strength but others (who love going into their YaeComWood menus and tweaking option #213 to setting #11) will view it as a weakness.

Tim.

I agree, keep it simple!
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 08:16:39 PM »

Ten-Tec has announced the price. $1,799, or $1,999 if you want the built-in autotuner. They also have a list of accessories for the new Eagle, including their outboard RF speech processor for $249.

I just downloaded the manual. Everything described below is from my reading of that manual.

To go from 40M to 12M you have to step through all the intervening bands, one at a time. To go from 20 to 40 takes 4 button pushes: FCN, BAN, BAN, FCN. There is only one band stacking register per band. Unlike other radios that assign two functions to a button, and activate one with a quick press and the other with a press-and-hold, this radio accesses the secondary function by hitting the FCN button first. But all the buttons have their secondary function activated until you hit the FCN button again. That should get you wrapped around the axle pretty quickly when you're chasing DX in a pileup or working a contest. Imagine trying to activate the RIT and you end up changing mode instead. Yikes!

Compare that to the new Kenwood TS-590. $1799 WITH autotuner, but THREE band stacking registers per band, select any band with one button push, keyboard frequency entry, TWO antenna jacks, built-in mic audio equalizer, two user-programmable function keys. And yes, the '590 has a USB port.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 07:39:45 PM by Bill Savage » Logged
K4RCH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

This radio is aimed at the casual operator (such as myself) that doesn't want or need all the bells and whistles but yet wants a radio with excellent specs.  The Kenwood is a fine radio, I'm sure, but is being marketed to different segments of the ham community.  No need to compare the two.
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 07:34:02 AM »

The Eagle, the TS-590 and the K3 all have similar specifications with a low first IF rather than a VHF roofing filter. However, when considering the front panel layouts, the T-T Eagle wins hands down.

Discuss  Grin

Tanakasan
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 07:56:11 AM »

I'll take the bait, can somebody tell me how to SPOT a cw signal with the Eagle?
I like the TS 590s but could live with some of the differences. e.g. Changing bands quickly
isn't a big problem.
Rob WA9UAA
K4RCH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »

I'll take the bait, can somebody tell me how to SPOT a cw signal with the Eagle?
I like the TS 590s but could live with some of the differences. e.g. Changing bands quickly
isn't a big problem.
Rob WA9UAA

There is no SPOT functionality on the Eagle, you'll have to use your ears or software.  This was discussed at length on the Yahoo group listed in the first post.
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:59:27 AM »

Hm, thanks for the reply, I did initiate the discussion on the Yahoo group, I was hopeful for an actual user work around. I suppose one could narrow the filter on a potential contact and touch up the receiver. Oh well.
Thanks,
Rob WA9UAA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: