Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DXBase Loging Program Replacement  (Read 2407 times)
WA9YSD

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2007, 12:24:47 PM »

Hi

I am running DXBase2007 and I am looking for a possible replacement as a general logging program.  Any suggestions?

I like some of the features and I do not use any of the radio interface features or the QSL label features.

I use the Internet for my packet connection. and use VE7CC software to enhance the experience of what DXBase lacks.

I really like VE7CC software and what it does.  New program needs to interface with it or has the same flexibility.

I would prefer one that would transfer most or all the columns for my log entries if possible.

I do not know about ADIF files and when creating one with DXBase to transfer information, what information is dropped off or kept and what would be the best way to transfer the logging information to a new program?

Any suggestions?  Comments?  What ever?

You can eather post here or EMAIL me at wa9ysd@yahoo.com

Thanks and Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 10:53:03 PM »

DXKeeper is free, and imports ADIF files exported from DXBase. Its a part of the freeware DXLab Suite, which is available via www.dxlabsuite.com .

Dave, AA6YQ
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 04:19:18 AM »

Checked out DXLab.  It has allot of glitter.  It imports DXBase logs like most other programs.  DXBase uses non-standard tags to export information, and is difficult to under stand for some programmers.  Program seams to me not to import some calls that are confirmed by cards only.

Try running VE7CC software in parallel with DXLab and another program your running and watch all 3 and see what DXLab does.  No band mode color coding and drops duplicate spots by different spotting stations.

AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »

Jim WA9YSD wrote:

Checked out DXLab. It has allot of glitter. It imports DXBase logs like most other programs. DXBase uses non-standard tags to export information, and is difficult to under stand for some programmers. Program seams to me not to import some calls that are confirmed by cards only.

>>>Over the past seven years, many DXKeeper users have successfully imported ADIF files exported by DXBase. In response to your posts on the DXLab and Logger reflectors, I have twice asked you to send me a QSO exported by DXBase that DXKeeper would not import, but received no ADIF in response. DXKeeper requires five valid items to import a QSO: a callsign, a band, a mode, date, and a time.

Jim WA9YSD wrote:

Try running VE7CC software in parallel with DXLab and another program your running and watch all 3 and see what DXLab does. No band mode color coding and drops duplicate spots by different spotting stations.

>>>Both of these claims are false, Jim. DXLab's SpotCollector color codes needed entities, entity-bands, and entity-modes, as well as stations known to participate in LotW; see, for example

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/spotdatabase.jpg

>>>Furthermore, SpotCollector does not drop duplicate spots by different spotting stations -- it extracts the information from these duplicate spots into a single entry in its spot database. SpotCollector maintains one spot database entry for each active DX station, making it far easier to see how long the station has been QRV, from what locations it has been spotted, what information has been posted in spot notes. The spot database can be filtered in real time -- by "need", band, mode, location, location of spotting station, minimum distance to spotting station, LotW participation, etc or any combination thereof. Since duplicate information is conveniently merged and doesn't clutter the screen, SpotCollector connects to up to 6 simultaneous sources of spot information: 4 telnet clusters, the DX Summit web cluster, and a packet cluster (via a local TNC); this ensures rapid and continuous access to spots in the face of network and/or cluster outages.

>>>To learn more about SpotCollector and its capabilities, see

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpots

Dave, AA6YQ

WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 04:09:54 AM »

I do not like SpotCollector as was said " it extracts the information from these duplicate spots into a single entry in its spot database."  deceiving to see only one spot in the window and one can unintentionally miss a spot.  I want to see every thing and shut that feature off.

Windows are too larger, and takes up valuable screen space.  Too much space is taken up by click buttons.  The information I want to see in a certain window does not have enough space dedicated to it.

I did not like dxkeeper and spot collector which is the heart of the program.  I am not into the glitter of a program.  Initial product support with DXLab was slow and  very baasic.  Only one person seams to support the program and has me worried about the future, I feel that this would continue on in the same manner.

As always, these are only my own observations and opinions.

Keep The Faith, Jim
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2008, 02:52:42 PM »

Jim WA9YSD wrote:

I do not like SpotCollector as was said " it extracts the information from these duplicate spots into a single entry in its spot database." deceiving to see only one spot in the window and one can unintentionally miss a spot. I want to see every thing and shut that feature off.

>>>Given the color highlighting, it is difficult to miss a needed spot database entry. In the same screen space, SpotCollector displays a larger number of DX stations precisely because duplicate entries have been eliminated. You are much more likely to miss a spot with the traditional "dumb terminal" interface where duplicates force the spot you care about to scroll out of the window.

>>>Jim the fact that you didn't know about so obvious a capability as color highlighting for needed spots makes it clear that you spent little if any time actually using SpotCollector. You might consider doing so before reaching a conclusion.

Windows are too larger, and takes up valuable screen space. Too much space is taken up by click buttons.

>>>This is an intentional tradeoff in favor of useability and reduced learning curve. Instead of hiding commands in layers of menus, DXLab applications use tabbed dialogs and graphical controls like selectonrs and buttons, making it easier for the user to quickly find the tools for the task; in addition, all controls produce a pop-up explaining their function when the mouse cursor hovers above them for a few seconds. During the past 5 years, the cost of a 20" 1600x1200 monitor has decreased from more than $5000 to well below $500, and shows no sign of stopping. By exploiting this technology trend (and others), DXLab makes it easier to adopt and apply sophisticated automation for transceiver control, logging, propagation prediction, spot collection and analysis QSL route discovery, etc.

Initial product support with DXLab was slow and very baasic.

>>>Your initial post on the DXLab and Logger reflectors appeared at 11:43 am on January 27. In this post, you basically said "When I compare my logged QSOs in LotW, DXBase, Logger32, and DXKeeper, I find more than 300 discrepancies. Help!".

>>>At 7:49 pm that evening, you posted again, saying "Sorry I was not very clear. LOTW QSL information and sync is A-OK. LOTW QSO Sync is bad news. Need a better way to fix all the problems."

>>>I responded to you an hour later, suggesting that you pick one logging application and resolve the discrepancies in its log relative to LotW rather than attempt to do so with 3 simultaneously, and made it clear I'd be happy to help should you choose DXKeeper.

>>>24 hours later, you posted "After seeing DXLAb find missing log entries that another persons
program dropped gave me a little bit of trust in DXLab. Some were rejected cause DXLab does not like the way DXBase handel show QSL card confirmation is handled. Most were deleted from DXBase long before I started playing with DXLab. A few was because of my bad entries. Some were ARRL bad entry errors."

>>>I responded with 2 hours, asking you for an example of a QSO exported from DXBase that was rejected by DXKeeper. You have failed to provide this basic information despite having been asked politely on multiple occasions.

>>>In summary, you received responses to each of your posts within 12 hours. The only reason that no progress has been made is that you haven't provided the necessary information -- specifically, the ADIF for a QSO exported by DXBase that DXKeeper has rejected as you have claimed. I'm beginning to doubt your sincerity.

Only one person seams to support the program and has me worried about the future, I feel that this would continue on in the same manner.

>>>I correct reported defects within DXLab applications within 24 hours. Its rare that a week goes by without a release bearing new features, generally the result of critique and suggestions on the DXLab Yahoo Group forum -- which is open to all users. The update process is entirely automatic, triggered by a single mouse click. Of the 2500+ members of the DXLab Yahoo Group, several hundred have been using the applications for many years and routinely offer help to their fellow members.

>>>While I am the only developer of DXLab applications, these applications have open interfaces that have been exploited by mny other developers to provide works with MultiPSK, DX Atlas, Ham Radio Deluxe, DM780, MixW, MMTTY, MMSSTV, and MMVARI. Independent developers have also used these interfaces to build a range of "add-ins", which further broaden DXLab's ecosystem. Updated source code for DXLab applications is maintained in escrow with instructions for its propagation should I become unable to continue its development; though I am only 56, mechanisms are in place to assure continuity.

Dave, AA6YQ

WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2008, 03:17:57 PM »

No longer interested in DXLab.
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 08:17:42 AM »

Now Dave how do you define band mode?

What I meant by (Band-mode) = (On a single band, 20M CW you work a new country even receive LOTW credit, then weeks later on the on 20M SSB you work the same country. That SSB QSO is a new BAND-MODE QSO.) Not high-lighted in color.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 08:48:46 AM »

I don't define "band-mode", Jim; its an ambiguous and useless term.

SpotCollector supports three kinds of DXCC/Challenge/Toplist award objectives:

1. confirm all DXCC entities (on any band or mode)

2. confirm all DXCC entities on each of a specified set of bands (each counter is referred to as an entity-band)

3. confirm all DXCC entities on each of a specified set of modes (each counter is referred to as an entity-mode)

The new DXer striving for basic DXCC would not target entity-bands or entity-modes -- he or she is just trying to confirm entities on any band or mode.

The DXer pursuing 5BDXCC seeks to confirm each DXCC entity on 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m, and 10m -- so there are 5 needed entity-bands per DXCC entity.

The DXer pursuing DXCC Challenge seeks to confirm each DXCC entity on 160m, 80m, 40m, 30m, 20m, 17m, 15m, 12m, 10m, and 6m, and in each of CW, Phone, and RTTY/Digital -- so there are 10 entity-bands and 3 entity-modes per DXCC entity.

In DXLab, you specify your entity-band and entity-mode objectives once. This specification drives

- SpotCollector's coloring of "needed" spot database entries

- DXKeeper's automatic generation of outgoing QSL cards to request confirmation of "needed" QSOs that are worked but not requested or confirmed.

For more detail, see

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/DXingObjectives

So to answer your implied question, if you've indicated that you're pursuing SSB entity-modes and have already confirmed an entity on 20m CW, a spot database entry for that entity on 20m SSB would be colored as "needed" if you haven't yet worked the entity in SSB.

One day, a fellow walked into a hardware store and purchased a chainsaw. A few days later, he returned to the store with the chainsaw, clearly distraught. "This thing doesn't work worth a damn", he shouted at the proprietor. "It took me two days to cut down 3 trees!". The proprietor picked up the chainsaw and yanked the starter cord; the engine roared to life. "What's that noise?", asked the customer.

Dave, AA6YQ
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 05:34:15 PM »

Dave, that gives me another reason not to be interested.
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 06:56:40 PM »

The clerk did not see that the choke was stuck, because he was wearing rose-colored glasses.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 07:36:52 PM »

WA9YSD wrote "Dave, that gives me another reason not to be interested."

That's just fine, Jim.

I have patiently pointed out the errors and incorrect assumptions in each of your posts about DXLab, and will continue to do so until you truely lose interest.

The chainsaw story was a gentle reminder that no tool can survive a user who refuses to make a basic investment in education.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 07:54:58 PM »

If the choke were stuck and the clerk didn't notice, then how would the saw start when the clerk pulled its cord?

And even if the choke were stuck, how would that justify the customer's failing to learn the saw's basic operation and spending two days cutting down trees with the saw's engine not running?

Dave, AA6YQ

NW5Y

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 07:20:02 AM »

DXLab spot collector is the best I have seen out of the three others I have tried. You have so much control (filtering) of the spots that show up. I can pick and choose band, mode, show only entities I need or have not worked, color code how I choose, create my own fields that I want displayed, and I also use the voice announce feature as I perform other functions so I don't have to sit and stare at the spot collector.

I recently purchased a new ACER brand 19" LCD for $149 after rebate. I already had one 17" LCD. I place my DXkeeper log & capture and DXview windows with a minimized Pathfinder window on my 17" screen. I then run DX Atlas on my 19" screen with Spot collector minimized because I am using the voice announce feature. I like the awesome graphics DX ATLAS on the 19".

I have my 17" screen above me on a shelf angled downward with the log stuff running and the other screen to my right on my desktop. I have very little room in my small operating area but I have become an efficient user of space.

Anyway, I here a DX announced by spot collector that I want, tune to the frequency announced, the DX call has automatically been entered into the DXview window (user selectable)by spot collector, check out DXview beam heading for that call, turn beam, bust the pileup and click "Log".

Logged Sweden, Montenegro, one IOTA, Switzerland, and France yesterday morning sipping on a coke while reading an AES catalog. Done!
Sometimes I don't run spot-collector because I still like to do some of the S&P work myself but I wanted to browse that AES ctatlog.

All with 100 watts max output on a 22 year old radio and a bad as* beam.

Only wish I had a newer radio that would interface.

I have not used spot collector in a contest but cant see how it could be any easier. In a contest I would have the spot collector fields/filters (call/freq/spotter location)set up for the type of contest running and up on my 19", voice announce off, and auto enter to DXview turned on for auto beam heading.
N1MM logger would be running above me on my 17" and a dupe sheet window & rate window up on the 19" beside spot collector.

I have been around a little and I can tell you I have a  very basic station but DXLab does makes me more competitive, helps me reach "my" personal goals and makes up for my radio's lack of features. All I have to do is spin the dial and hit "enter".
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »

I am so glad your happy.  :-)

Are there any other programs out there that replaces DXLab and DXBase?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: