Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Use Braid or Wire for Ground outside?  (Read 8330 times)
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 04:39:53 AM »

Your design with multiple rods with good spacing is a good one.  Why not take advantage by using copper strap.

It is what I ended up doing, and I actually think it was the cheapest in the end, anyway...  It barely made any difference in the shack, which is a good thing, I suppose.  Though, and this might be a placebo effect, the background static crashes do seem less, and general noise seems a TINY bit less... I don't know though, it probably is my imagination.  I am still glad I did it and put it out there. 

I'm tinkering with putting a 160m inverted-l outside, and I imagine I shouldn't use this ground system as a starting point for its' ground, right?  I think I read Tom, w8yi say make a separate ground system for the antenna, and only tie into this existing ground at the feed entrance for safety/lightning/bonding purposes.. 
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »

"...copper strap.  It has much lower impedance."

As a ground conductor?  Really?  Less impedance than what?
Paul
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »

"...copper strap.  It has much lower impedance."

As a ground conductor?  Really?  Less impedance than what?
Paul

The flat copper strap has a much lower inductance than wire for the same volume of copper used per foot.......   
RF travels on the surface. Flat copper strap has lots of surface area.

K8KAS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 09:03:51 AM »

Let's not get carried away guys, I have used 3/4 inch copper braid for years for short runs from my main RF ground. The differences your quote in resistance between braid and wire for the short runs involved can't even be measured with general types of metering. The important thing is the ground itself, is it a true Rf type ground or just a piece of short copper in the ground. Keep it simple
and don't get carried away. IMHO  73 Denny K8KAS
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 05:01:42 AM »

Use the braid it is much easier to use in the shack (moving equipment to the buss bar I have 11 pieces of equipment connected at my main operating desk buss.

I run my to the ground rods (3) using using copper strap 6" wide through a window cad welded to welding cable then cad welded to all ground rods.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: