Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: keyboard problem  (Read 1272 times)
KE3LB

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2010, 01:38:52 PM »

i have a gateway computer but now when i type the numbers its not right 5 is 3  ,8 is 6 only on the numbers all else is ok its a 1998 model running windows 98 i tried blowing out the keyboard with compressed air is there anythnig else i can do before i get another keyboard dont use the comp that much cause now i have a wirelss net book that fits my needs but  just wondering if there is any other solution  thanks
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »

Is that one of those programmable keyboards? If so, those keys might have accidentally have been reprogrammed. I forget how to clear the programming, but it might be Ctrl-Alt-SuspendMacro.

Otherwise, you could disassemble the keyboard and look for dirt in the vicinity of the numbers.

KE3LB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 03:29:39 PM »

thanks mike dont think its programable ill just look inside and see thanks
WW8JD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 01:42:11 AM »

i have a gateway computer but now when i type the numbers its not right 5 is 3  ,8 is 6 only on the numbers all else is ok its a 1998 model running windows 98 i tried blowing out the keyboard with compressed air is there anythnig else i can do before i get another keyboard dont use the comp that much cause now i have a wirelss net book that fits my needs but  just wondering if there is any other solution  thanks

I've had the same problem, the grandkids spilled pop on the keyboard.  Turn it over and take all of the screws out and clean it out, I used windex and then a hair drier to dry it out before putting it back together. 

This method does not always work either the keys fall off or the magnets come unattached.  Be ready to go to Wally World and buy another keyboard.  They're only $10 or 20 for a cheep one.    I've learned to always keep a spare handy. 
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 06:18:12 PM »

Thrift shops generally have a pile of keyboards being offered for a dollar or two each. As a general rule if they look good they probably work OK.

BTW: Also seeing plenty of CRT monitors in good used condition and very cheap.

Never change a password on a Friday                
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: