Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which New Rig????? Kenwood TS-590 or Ten-Tec Eagle?  (Read 16066 times)
N1LO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2010, 08:03:27 AM »

Don't get in a hurry!

In general, it's not a good idea to buy the first release of a new model, no matter how much the excitement eats you up.

Usually it takes some time for field bug reports to get back to the factory and fixes to get to production.

I'll add, though, that Kenwood does seem to do a better job of wringing out new models before releasing them. I believe this is why Kenwood is so much slower to bring new models to market.

I have no experience with Ten-Tec's in particular and how well they do.

Regardless, I think the general rule is still prudent. Wait at least 6 months, read all the user comments, save up some more $$$ for accessories, and *savor* the anticipation. New rig purchases don't happen very often.

Good Luck,

- - · · ·  M A R K · N 1 L O · · · - -

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 07:36:53 AM »

In the price range, I would go with the FT950.
However, you wanted either the TS590 or Ten Tec Eagle.
On paper, the Kenwood appears to be the better rig.  But on owning a Ten Tec, the satisfaction... and ease-of-use... and all around subjective feel of the Ten Tec will probably be better.
What is the best value?... only you can decide.
Good luck with your selection.
73s.

-Mike.
DG3YCC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2010, 02:49:24 AM »

Yes the Eagle and the TS-590 are both abt 1800 USD, but there are major differences
The Kenwood has a lot of features the TT is missing (pse correct me if I'm wrong):

- direct frequency entry

- you can program 3 frequencies to each band key. For example: You press the 20 meter key one time it goes to 14000. You press it two times it goes to 14070. Press it a third time and it will go to 14250 for example.

- you can program the radio to automatically change the mode when you reach a certain frequency. Example: You are on the cw part of the 20 meter band. When you turn the VFO knob and reach 14100 the rig will switch to ssb.

- you can program the radio that it switches into cw mode automatically each time you press the Morse key.

- you have two jacks: one for a paddle, one for a straight key. They work parallel.

- you have 2 ant. jacks and a perfect ant. tuner

- filters are already built in.

- AM and FM available

- NB already on board

- speech processor on board

- you can hear your output audio if you like

- you have auto time switch off so you cannot forget to switch the radio off (time span programmable)

Hope this  tells something abt the new Kenwood rig

73 de Chris
DG3YCC
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2010, 06:50:22 AM »

It is fairly clear to see that at the 1800 price point the Kenwood 590 is the better radio. I feel both should be selling for about 300 less than present price. 73 K1WJ David
KO7I

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »

I have ventured over to the Kenwood web site, but this morning I was going over the factory spec's on the EAGLE and the receiver 2kHz IP3 with 600Hz roofing filter was 17dBm, and the 2kHz IMD was 95dBm @ 500Hz. IMHO these numbers are very impressive and speak wonders for Ten Tec engineering.

Like I have said already, I have not ventured over to the Kenwood web site to see if they make any receiver performance claims, but it will be very intriguing to see where the TS590's 2kHz separtion numbers come in at.

Those numbers are the finial word when it comes to receiver performance.

73, Don KO7i
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »

Don

The Eagle's numbers are now posted on the Sherwood Engineering list.  FB, Sevierville.

Steve KZ1X/4
KE2TR

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

I would not buy another TT product, even if they gave it to me and between the numbers in Sherwood report well my money is on the kenwood, you dont need to buy any real needed options and unless the new Icom has some special roofing or bandpass filters(IC7410) I dont think it has a sniff at even comin close. TT bost made in the good ole USA which I dont have any problems with but goin back to a TT425 HF amp I had with a open primary xfmr winding 1 week outa warranty and 3 of my buddy's here on the island had the same problem, well $450 later I sold the amp right before the 95 CQWWPhone contest and picked up an Alpha. TT has always been able to build a reaceiver with good specs but there built like tonka toys and they feel like tonka toys and there not cheap either. I dont own the Kenwood and right now only use an ole lone 1000MP but I have looked at the reveiws from England and Sherwoods work, this looks like the real deal without the Hi Priced spread plus small enought to take on vaca's to the carib for contest weekends, nice, it has taken Kenwood a long time to come out with a new HF radio and I feel they have done a FB job.
Jim KE2TR
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 11:23:34 PM »

How do you USE receiver 2kHz IP3 with 600Hz roofing filter of 17dBm? I think the  "2kHz IMD of 95dBm @ 500Hz" is a typo.....

On their own, those numbers are meaningless, because you have to take into account the phase noise limited performance. Additionally, a station 2 kHz away running at a level where such performance is really useful is unlikely to have a clean enough transmitter for such performance to be any real use.

An instantaneous dynamic range of around 95 to 100dB in both IMD and reciprocal mixing is about all that the majority of people need, and even then, the other guy's transmitter is likely to be the limiting factor.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: