Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home station Advice Icom 7200 or 7000?  (Read 11316 times)
KF4UVG

Ignore
« on: October 09, 2010, 06:25:50 AM »

I just sold my Yaesu 897 and want a little better station for home. I have a limited budget and am at the 1100-1300 range. I work mostly SSB HF with a little CW. I have narrowed down to Icom 7200 or Icom 7000 ( the only ones in my price range that I feel would be an up grade from what I had). What would be my best way to go?Currently have a Z-11 pro tuner to a G5RV up about 28 feet.
Thanks for the opinions!

W3RAY
K4XZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:27:41 AM »

The 7000 is a much smaller radio more suited for mobile application. It does have alot more features than the 7200. The 7200 is base radio HF & 6 meters. The 7000 does have a color display and way more features. So if you don't mind the smaller size the 7000 should work out. I know you have a budget but for another $500.00 R&L Electronics has the new kenwood TS-590.JMHO.

73 Joe K4XZ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:45:41 AM »

Check out the ARRL reviews of the IC-7000, IC-7200, and the FT-950:

http://www.centralmiarc.com/docs/Reviews/ic7000.pdf

http://www.fantino.it/IC-7200%20review.pdf

http://files.radioscanner.ru/files/download/file4747/ft-950_review_by_arrl.pdf

« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 07:48:59 AM by DAVE CUTHBERT » Logged
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »

I own an Icom 7000 and a Yaesu FT-950.

Both are side by side, and can be run on the same antennas.

I find I operate the FT-950 95% of the time now. I do a lot of digital modes and the FT-950 does not heat up like the IC-7000 did.

I had to run a fan behind the 7000 when operating digital modes, it heated up too much for my liking.

If you want VHF/UHF and HF in one rig then the 7000 is the way to go.

But I also find the VHF/UHF side of the radio to be a little weaker on receive than my FT-8800.

If you are cramped for operating space go with the IC-7000. But my preference would be the FT-950. Both are roughly the same cost.

BTW reports have been written about the poor audio from the hand mic that comes with the IC-7000. Now I only had my hand mic on that rig for a couple of QSO's until I got the mic cable to connect my Heil iCM desk mic.

I can not attest to the audio from the FT-950 hand mic, I put a Heil GM5/4 desk mic on it as soon as I took it out of the box.
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:58 AM »

I definitely suggest you write out your requirements for this rig in priority order. 

The IC-7200 looks like a cool rig -- but I see these drawbacks: it does not do FM (which is useful on 10 and 6m, especially when 10m opens up world-wide) and it lacks a narrow roofing filter.  Also it does not include a built-in antenna tuner (I thrived for years without one, but once you have one you may want one - particularly for 80m operation). 

The FT-950 is just a little more $$ than the IC-7000, but it adds these features: (a) 3 selectable roofing filters, (b) a spacious front panel with nice controls and indicators (c) a decent built-in antenna tuner (d) a modest audio equalizer.  On SSB this rig seems to have a nice audio presence even with the stock mic.  The buttons to change bands are nice, along with full time adjustment controls for most things that the IC-7000 lacks.  The QSK for CW is not ideal, but it is still decent. 

The TS-570 was a less performer, but was a nice affordable rig when it was around.  Neither Kenwood nor Icom have a successor for this kind of rig, with the FT-897 perhaps the closer similar rig actually.  I would careful examine features and numeric specs to see if the either the IC-7200 or IC-7000 measure up to your desires for replacing your FT-897 - but I have my doubts.  I wish someone would offer a 'baby FT-950' in a smaller package with less features for around $1000 - but I don't see too many new rigs coming.  Do your homework, as for many of us we tend not to buy HF rigs too often.  If you can't see a candidate rig, at least make yourself a mock-up of its front panel full sized on a piece of paper - and experience where the controls are. 
K8VE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 06:22:39 PM »

As for a Baby 950, look at the FT450 which is lower in price with many of the same capabilities of the 950 to include DSP filtering and an autotuner. Used a friends FT450 during Field Day with great success.
WB8YYY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »

FT-450 - yeah I kind of overlooked that one.  I was turned off by limited resolution in its DSP settings - and many are turned off my the small tuning knob.  A little larger package, more adjustable DSP and it would have more fans - as I remember it has a larger display than the FT-897 which I was impressed by.   
KJ4ADN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:33:10 AM »

As for a Baby 950, look at the FT450 which is lower in price with many of the same capabilities of the 950 to include DSP filtering and an autotuner. Used a friends FT450 during Field Day with great success.

We have several IC-7000s and FT-450s (a family of hams...).   

The IC-7000 is a GREAT MOBILE radio.  All the basic functions you need for a good mobile station are right there, without drilling down through the menus, even the tuning knob 'locks with detents' - it's a radio built for movement.  The display is nice a big, readable from the back car seat, it easily remote mounts, with the display & mic where ever you want it, the main unit with it's fan can be mounted elsewhere.  It's even got audio output jacks to interface with your car stereo.   It sounds great in the car - it's a MOBILE HF/VHF/UHF rig.  I have them in my work truck, family car & van.

We use 2 FT-450ATs for field day, special events, all the stuff that fits that portable station mode, just set up on a picnic table and you've got a really good radio to run that's light, portable, rugged, big easy-to-read display.  While not exactly a super duper contesting radio, but with the built in tuner, add a decent extension speaker, it's a good step up from an FT-897 (or FT-857).  Add a Heil headset & foot switch, and you've got a great special event or home station for a minimal investment.   After I had a QSO with a guy in NJ, deep in an Urban area, I couldn't believe how nice he sounded on 40m SSB.  One of my kids made an interface for RTTY and digital modes, he's been working the last couple of digital contests with it.  We wish it had a nice big, weighted, adjustable tuning knob, otherwise, it's a pretty good bang for the buck.

To really make an educated decision you'll be comfortable with, find someone with the radios you're interested in, and operate.
For really separating the 'sheep from the goats' - have the radios side-by-side with an antenna A/B switch, and use the same external speaker for the 'real test'.
...and then just operate as normal, pick some DX and local stations, work a pile up, play with the filters, try the keyer, etc...
Check with the local clubs - some of them have these radios as club stations.

Radios are like Computers, you can keep spending ALOT of $$$ trying to keep the latest/greatest in the shack - there's always room for improvement, even if you're got the highest rated radio...

Bill
KJ4ADN
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 11:41:47 AM »

Look at the New Kenwood TS-590 it is more expensive then the others listed but the receiver is top of the line and has all the roofing filters autotuner and more. It's Kenwoods answer to the K3.
W0DKM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2010, 06:08:15 AM »

They just updated the FT450 to a Ft450d.
Universal has a picture. Looks much better.
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 06:22:03 AM »

For a cheaper radio you might look at the TS-590 specs look good in the price range with just a few drawbacks. IC-7000 is a good radio I have 2 of them and the FT-950 is a best buy.
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 04:02:47 PM »

I am very happy with the IC 7000 for my home station. It has respectable specs for the price. I put my gear away when not in use to avoid clutter. The IC7K is perfect for this. When in use, I slave it to HamRadio Deluxe software on a laptop, and in that configuration the small size does not matter since all features show up on the laptop screen, and the IC7K need not even be on the table. I have been thinking about upgrading for some time now, and the Elecraft K3 or Flexradio 3000 are my next choice.  While the IC7K is not in the league of either, I am still happy with it and have yet to find a compelling reason to upgrade since the IC7K suites me fine. Since I do mostly PSK31, I am not sure a better receiver with roofing filters would even do me any good on PSK. I have worked Europe, Russia, Japan, South America and more with 100 watts, and a portable vertical antenna that I take down when I put the rig away. I really have zero complaints, except it does run hot, but Icom says not to worry about it, so I do not. I do not have a limited budget, but even so, all things considered I have yet to hit the "buy" button on a better rig.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 12:03:21 AM »

Any homestation radio needs a decent dynamic range especially for CW.

Ideally a homestation radio should not use 12 volt PA transistors.

I would be saving my pennies for a K3 or a TS590S. The K3's new APF is worth its weight in gold.

While the K3 does have warts, it just blows  the vast majority of Japanese made or made anywhere radios away. The K3 would be the radio I would grab if my shack was burning down and I could only  pick one radio.  I have a IC7700   and frankly if the K3 had better transmitter IMD on  the higher bands I would get rid of the IC7700.  I run ultra linear triodes like 8877 and the 3cx3000A7 so need a decent transmitter with excellent IMD performance and 200 watts. If you are big radio sorta guy with big hands, the K3 might drive you crazy with its dyslexic ergonomics.

Anyway the radios you are considering are like at the bottom of the pecking order. A TS480HX might make a better overall radio than the two that you have selected as favorites.
WZ3O

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 08:37:21 PM »

I just sold my Yaesu 897 and want a little better station for home. I have a limited budget and am at the 1100-1300 range. I work mostly SSB HF with a little CW. I have narrowed down to Icom 7200 or Icom 7000 ( the only ones in my price range that I feel would be an up grade from what I had). What would be my best way to go?Currently have a Z-11 pro tuner to a G5RV up about 28 feet.
Thanks for the opinions!

W3RAY

My opinion, having both in my shack & spending hours @ AES a month ago to play with many rigs... within the price range you set, the IC7000 "does it all", while the IC7200 is "easier" to use...more intuitive...does lack many of the features of the 7000...both hear well on SSB HF & do digital well, not a CW op so can't venture an opinion there..both have excellent IF dsp, NR, NB notch etc...so there are my 2 cents (or so)....

Other rigs I compared were the TS590, FT950 & some higher buck rigs (for "giggles" not having the funds) & I found a lot of "bang for the buck in both 7K & 7200 ...If I had to pick just one rig in the shack, then the 7K wins since it does V/U plus HF ...but the 7200 does very well on HF SSB ...So ?!?! GOOD LUCK ...
 Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: