Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Can the old FT-101 series IF output jack be used for PowerSDR/IF  (Read 1631 times)
K4SKA

Ignore
« on: October 18, 2010, 03:58:52 PM »

I have read how hams are using the IF outputs on K3's and TS-940's to interface to PowerSDR/IF and turn their rigs into SDR type rigs.
The old Yaesu's have an IF output jack.  On the FT-101E it is 3.180Khz and on the FT-101ZD I think it is 8.8975Mhz.

Is it possible to use them for PowerSRD ?
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 04:38:49 PM »

The FT-101E has zero smarts when it comes to a computer interface. The only thing it responds to is a poke or turn on the front panel.

Never change a password on a Friday                
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 12:35:21 PM »

I'm not familiar with the radio, but I'd give you a "probable yes". 

The things to check are the voltage level of the IF output, so you don't fry your SDR input.   Though you might avoid that by either using a series capacitor to block any DC or a transformer. 

The other consideration is  to see which IF this is, and what the bandwidth is at that point.   You probably want the widest bandwidth possible for your SDR, which would mean using the first IF product, though its not critical for your SDR ops.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!    B.
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:11:09 PM »

PowerSDR by itself is just a program. You'll need some type of interface to demodulate the IF to an I/Q output, and then feed that into a sound card on your PC running PowerSDR. A lot of people have used a SoftRock tuned to their IF frequency, and displayed the output of the SoftRock with PowerSDR.
Makes a nice little inexpensive panadapter.
73, Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: