Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has any one tried pep on Bird?  (Read 3285 times)
AA1JD

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2000, 12:30:24 PM »

I currently have a Bird Model 43. I would like to use this meter to measure SSB power, I understand Bird makes a modification board to add pep measurement capabilities.  This is the Bird 4300-400 kit has anyone installed this kit and if so how did it work out?  Did you loose any CW accuracy?

73's  
 Matt / AA1JD
K8DO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2000, 01:04:30 PM »

I have used the Bird PEP board on a Model 43 and found that it works just fine... The CW accuracy is not altered....

Denny
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2000, 02:00:06 PM »

I have the Bird PEP kit, it works fine.  You lose nothing at all on CW for key-down carrier measurement, but in the PEP mode each "dit" is indicated as the full key-down power.  You can also switch between PEP and ordinary (rms) readings.  The only drawback to the PEP kit is that it is battery powered, takes two 9v batteries to run it and the batteries drain pretty quickly if you leave the unit "on."  
WA2AEH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2001, 02:56:54 PM »

Absolutely right!  Accuracy is not compromised, but the batteries really take a beating.  I made the assumtion that the red LED (which is on all the time) is the biggest offender in exhausting the batteries.  God forbid you leave the unit on.  I cut the led lead to eliminate that problem.  The batteries last alot longer now.  Also, when the batteries start to get low, then the accuracy starts to fall off as measured against other wattmeters.

Bill
WA2AEH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: