Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to HF and shocked by what I hear  (Read 17663 times)
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »

No one out there should be shaken up by hearing ugly talk or something they don't agree with on the air. Ham radio is full of folks from all walks of life. Most of us can spot a problem frequency within a few seconds, just move on. I'm on HF every night, and unless I'm trying to hang out on the upper end of 75 meters, I almost NEVER hear anything bad. That's way better than I can say for most resturants & clubs one might stop at, the local grocery store, etc. 

Ham radio is so loaded with great stuff, there's no need to get hung up on some little issues like this. Sure they're out there. They always will be. Get on the air, enjoy ham radio, and forget about these petty issues.

Dave WB4IUY
www.WB4IUY.net

[/quote]

This describes precisely why the problem will never be fixed.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:16 AM »

I stopped working phone 40 years ago partly to avoid the rude, crude, language. It's been all CW since then.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »

I have been a Ham for over 40 years and I have spent most of my time on 40m SSB below 7200 these days and usually below 7170 too and except for contests I find it still pretty civil.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
W8GP

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2012, 10:14:52 AM »

I second that for 40m but I almost hate to advertise that fact! I avoid  listening to a lot of the meaningless drivel I find on the bands and often call CQ so I can have a one-on-one ragchew on my own terms. And on 80m my dial stops at 3800, it seems to be a LITTLE more civilized on the low end. Look for me on 40 and I'll be happy to talk to you about just about anything.
             73, Greg
KG6BRG

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:15 PM »

You know, its really what you make of it.  At least in 6 land.  In over 12 years on HF I've only heard really bad language a handful of times.  All bands and areas have freqs where douche bags hang out, they attract each other.  Just spin the dial, for me I avoid 7.255 and 3.838.  Problem solved.  I have QSO's with lots of nice, interesting people, not the few turds that frequent the bands.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:17:17 PM by KG6BRG » Logged
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 06:08:08 AM »

The first post of this thread is a blatant exaggeration, and an over reaction to what is happening on HF. There is a small amount of garbage in particular areas within the HF bands, and it has always been there. The responses that follow the first post are all too predictable.
There are few disillusioned people who have convinced themselves that ham radio was once "ward cleaverish", and try to convince others of the same.  They are either senile or blantant liars.

Probably what made me laugh the most was the "writing down callsigns" comment. I immediately had a mental image of a 5th grade hall monitor getting his fellow classmates in trouble for running in the hall or chewing gum, then getting his butt kicked after school, lol.

Dave
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 06:10:54 AM by W0DV » Logged
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 06:21:07 AM »

Can the group explain to me what happened over the years to HF ?

OH BOY.    Never in my wildest dreams.... downright filthy language and verbotten topics on almost every band..... Man you would NEVER talk that way...... I would come hunt you down......could not beleive my ears.   Started writing down calls but soon realized it was every one I heard ! 

You don't get out much, do you?
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 12:01:17 PM »

The first post of this thread is a blatant exaggeration, and an over reaction to what is happening on HF. There is a small amount of garbage in particular areas within the HF bands, and it has always been there. The responses that follow the first post are all too predictable.
There are few disillusioned people who have convinced themselves that ham radio was once "ward cleaverish", and try to convince others of the same.  They are either senile or blantant liars.

I totally agree.  Aside from those frequencies where lids (and worse) congregate I find the bands to be pretty civil.  And when you do run across something that offends you, the VFO is your friend.

Vince
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 07:06:11 PM »

While it's not a good 'excuse' for bad behavior, I hear at -least- as 'bad' language on the street as I ever have on the air (no matter what band).  That's from either gender, not just the male variety.  I have to admit that my 'mouth' is probably as 'dirty' as almost anyone's, but I really do try to control it.  That's because of personal values/standards.  There's very little I haven't heard before, but it can still surprise me at times.  As far as the 'kids' go, I have to suspect they've probably heard most of those 'bad' words before too.
There are limits, those limits are different for everyone.  If things go beyond my limits, I leave.  The frequency, the company I'm in, or the place I'm at, doesn't matter.  If asked why, I'll explain my self.  I modify my behavior to suit the people around me and I expect others to do the same thing, within limits.  I think that's about as 'normal'/average as you can get.  Don't like that?  Well, I'm sure you can think of something I'd say to that.  Maybe not the exact wording, but the same general reply.
 - Paul
N0SQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 02:55:41 PM »

A friend of mine is an OO and he has provided info to the FCC but nothing is getting done. I guess the FCC doesn't have the money or the will to enforce the rules anymore. They could've kept a lot of these "bozos" out of the HF bands if they had kept the morse code requirement for licensing. If morse code isn't going to come back and there's no enforcement forthcoming, they ought to make everyone re-take the test on rules before a license can be renewed. I know some hams that said they would leave ham radio if they were required to re-take any portion of the test.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2012, 03:09:28 AM »

They could've kept a lot of these "bozos" out of the HF bands if they had kept the morse code requirement for licensing.
Totally untrue. The Morse Code requirement being dropped has nothing to do with it. The most well known "bozos" were all licensed before the code was dropped. The largest fines have been earned by the same. The fools on 14.313 with their 10/4 good buddy talk were all licensed before the code requirement was dropped. The nut job broadcaster on 80 meters with his band of merry vomiteers is another example. The tired old argument that the no-code crowd brought a negative element to the HF bands is silly, biased, and based on ignorance, not fact.
The HF bands are for the most part, a fun place to be, for hams of any age. There are a few problem areas to avoid and that will probably never change.
The Amateur Radio community is tired of the complainers of the code requirement being dropped.
Move forward
WU0R

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »

Sorry to hear of your "experience" you encountered tuning around, but honestly, idiots abound in all walks of life and amateur radio is a slice of that life, good or bad.  It isn't the longer licensed ops nor the newer "no-coders".  It is just that, a few bad apples in the basket that seem to get more publicity then they should.   There are far more numerous good ops out there.  You just have the smell the flowers for the field before you.
N0SQ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:08 PM »

The tired old argument that the no-code crowd brought a negative element to the HF bands is silly, biased, and based on ignorance, not fact.

"Thanks" for the insult, jerk. Maybe you're right but you could've been more tactful in your response.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 05:21:48 PM by N0SQ » Logged
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2012, 09:34:47 PM »

"Thanks" for the insult, jerk. Maybe you're right but you could've been more tactful in your response.

My response was appropriate, and accurate. Especially considering the fact that new hams have had to listen to that sort of garbage for many years. So who is the "jerk"? If you are unhappy with the hobby, pack it up, ebay it, give it away, smash it with a hammer, I don't give a damn either way.
Go and make your encouraging comments regarding the code requirement being dropped to a group of cub scouts just before they take their tech exam, or to any other group of people, young or old, who are interested in the hobby. Do your comments hurt, or help the hobby? Encourage?, or Discourage? A good Amateur Radio operator is also a mentor. Your comments are not conducive to such.

Good Luck,

W0DV
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:37:01 PM by W0DV » Logged
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2012, 09:59:26 PM »

I'm afraid there will always be some potty-mouthed individuals on the air-waves. 

After almost abandoning Amateur Radio in the early 1980's when I was informed, in no uncertain terms that I was not to use the local 2M Repeater again--this was soon after I was first licenced--I decided to obtain an "upgraded" license and "try" H.F.  This was in 1984.

For 11 years I had a ball--'phone, RTTY and CW.  What fun!  Then, in 1995 it all came to a shuddering halt.  It seemed that every time I went on 40 metres there was some potty-mouthed individual ready with an earful of foul language, and abuse.  Not wanting to be subjected to this--or letting the family hear what was coming out of the loudspeaker--I was "restricted" to operating only when the family was not at home.  And, of course when the family was out there was usually no time to go on the air.

I continued operating RTTY/CW for a little while longer--at least there were no potty-mouthed individuals there, and the family couldn't read CW or what the Teleprinter was printing out (unless I showed them the print-out, of course)--but  the'joy' of operating as an Amateur Operator had all but evaporated. 

I used to be so happy on the bands--now I don't even listen to the bands any more, thanks to all that went on in 1995.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: