Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ubuntu Linux, ShackBox, HRD??  (Read 4471 times)
KG6UTS

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2010, 12:32:09 AM »

I'm looking for a small second hand Toughbook for field use with Ham applications. My Dell D810 is large and not really made to haul out in the 'dirt' but it does Ham Radio Deluxe with a ZLP interface and FT-857D really well. Used Toughbooks can be had inexpensively w/o an operating system so I'm looking at Ubuntu Linux. Searching the web ShackBox popped up as a software suite that will run HRD under Linux. Any experience with this or "gotchas"? Also how about the windows Nova satellite program with WINE or VM ware??

Thanks a lot!

Ed KG6UTS
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 02:47:47 PM »

I am using an HP-2133 Mini-Notebook which came with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop Version 10.3 installed.  This computer has a 3 GB solid State Drive and a slot for an SD card for expanded memory and is built with a magnesium case.  I have successfully installed MixW on it along with a number of Ham Related programs.  It also come with OpenOrg Office installed with which I am able to create Microsoft Documents for Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
KG6UTS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:44:24 PM »

I am using an HP-2133 Mini-Notebook which came with SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop Version 10.3 installed. 

Dennis,
  Thanks for the reply. I'm using an HP Mini 210-1030NR right now as I type but will buy one of the used small Toughbooks for something a little more robust. Ubuntu was my op system choice because a coworker has had good luck with it. My main concern is the ability to run programs like Ham Radio Deluxe, Nova, WSJT, Argo, Hamscope etc with the Linux based box. This winter I want to continue some LF/MF receiver and antenna experiments in the Borrego Desert using the mentioned applications. The Toughbook would also travel OK when I go to Baja California working digital modes.

Thanks again for the reply, 73!

EdZ KG6UTS
Camp Davis, Kandahar
Afghanistan
WA7NCL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 08:04:28 AM »

If you run windows programs under linux you either need to use WINE or a virtual machine with windows installed.

If using wine, go to winehq and check the data base for the programs you want to run and see if they have been shown to work.  Not all windows programs will work.  Especially if they use USB or hardware feature of the computer.  I think wine does work with serial ports but not sure.

A virtual machine allows you to run a copy of some version of windows on an emulated machine.  I have used VirtualBox and it works well.  It give the virtual machine access to the USB and other hardware of the computer.  You need a license or copy of some version of windows to install on the virtual machine.  Since many programs for hams run well under win95 or win98, I should think you could scrounge up a copy and install it in the virtual machine.  Since the virtual machine is a playpen, you don't have the crashing problems and security and update problems you would with a native win95 or win 98.

For dos programs, you can run them under DOSBOX in linux.

So you can use linux, you just have to use some work arounds to get there.
KC7NOA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 03:01:49 PM »

So any comments on getting MixW 2.16 installed with wine ??
G6NJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 04:18:29 PM »

So any comments on getting MixW 2.16 installed with wine ??

Tried here on openSUSE  MixW just falls apart at the seams   Fldigi works ok thou

Pete  G6NJR
KB5ZXM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 03:37:37 AM »

I ran into a problem, with wine < poss oper error>. I may be wrong here I am just learning Unix, but it' Wine' requires that the file system on the hdd must NOT be NFTS , the ext3 system is what is suggested by their web site.
I was trying to run wine so I could use AirMail, and the new auto fill ICS 213 NIMS forms.
About what computer laptop ? There are lots of Dell "D"610 s on ebay , for about 225$ I have had good luck with dell C 610's  that I have.
I  just got tired of Windoze, all ways wanting me to buy some thing new.
Good luck to Us all . darylynn
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 05:15:05 AM »

If you got tired of windows, try the open source programs first before you go through the hassle of WINE.  I use cqrlog and it can read my rig through the serial port using hamlib.  You can use qsstv if you like that (not me).  FLDigi is a great radio modem program and I use it for psk and RTTY.  Cqrlog can launch fldigi and read the input in that logbook to put in your logbook.  I also use tqsl to package up my logfiles and upload to LOTW.

There is javalogger for contests, if that is your thing... my advice is try those first.  HRD is not the end all, be all (though it is very good !  Smiley )

If you must have it (I need quickbooks for my business), then running vmware or virtualbox works pretty well if your processor is up to it (got to try to find out - and you must run the speed-up tools that hook into the OS for it to be snappy).  Otherwise, try crossover office (which is just wine with lots of setup scripts) - it is an interesting company/entity that does seem to make other program works by using native dll's and scripts to get the settings right - it is still WINE, and if you had the ability and path you could do the same thing - but sometimes the turning dll's on and off at the right time is so time consuming it isn't worth it.  They have a free trial, so if wine fails, make a backup of your .wine directory and give it a shot.
NA7U

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »

A VM is the way to go. I leave it as an exercise for the reader as to how to obtain the Windoze license.  Wink  I know you want to save money on the laptop, but I'd highly recommend going for something beyond a P4. A P3 is not going to cut it for a VM and P4s in laptops are just too hot. Dual-cores are coming down in price, however.

BTW, you can run the VM either way, Linux in a Windows host or vice versa. With a VM you are not limited to running just two OSs either. For instance, you could try out another version of Windows or Linux while retaining the previous version.

KB5ZXM

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 07:42:39 PM »

I have <came with a machine I bought> Win 95 OEM cd, also a win 98 OEM cd, was goin to put it on my Grand daughters Laptop, Orig I only had IBM DOS 6 with Dosshell, I wanted her to learn to deal with files and directories and command line . But have decided to start her out on Ubuntu 10.10 with Win XP , it;s a 32 bit dell , She is 8 and now we have something to talk about, untill this all we had was shooting.
For her BDay she is getting a Scanner Printer, by Cannon, Others are giving Ink and Paper , and Foto paper. She takes a lot of fotos.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: