Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSL/Logs?  (Read 1762 times)
AG4PV

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2002, 10:48:11 AM »

Hi,
I've started doing casual contesting (tuning across the band and answering interesting CQ's, hopefully passing out a few points along the way) and I'd like to know:
As a general rule, do I need to submit my log or send a QSL for the OTHER op to get credit? (At this point, I'm not really in it for the points.) Or is the other op's log entry and my exchange usually sufficient for them to get credit?

Tnx es 73,
AG4PV, Bob
KC8LTL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2002, 01:19:01 PM »

For the major contests, the other operator gets credit for the qso even if you do not turn in your log.  I belive the "Original QRP" Contest based in Europe is an exception to this, but that is the only exception I can think of.

However, I recommend that you turn your log in anyway.  The contest sponsers WANT you to turn the logs in, and you may even be lucky and win some catagory.
AG4PV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2002, 09:31:50 AM »

Hi,
Thanks for the response.

At this point, my logs would hardly be worth the postage, unless they gave out an award for "fewest QSO's" Wink

I gave out a whopping 22 qso's during the wpx contest a couple of weeks ago, and all of 2 for the Michigan qso party and 1 for the Ontario qso party this weekend. Hardly in the same league as the 2000+ serial numbers I heard during wpx.

At this point, contests are a good chance to work stations (briefly) that I haven't been able to work so far (newbie).

Good operating practice, and a lot of fun.

Tnx es 73,
AG4PV, --Bob Spaulding
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2002, 06:32:18 PM »

There's one other reason to turn in your logs, if you can:

The automated (computer) score checking systems employed by the contest committees who have the right to alter entrants' scores, or even disqualify entrants, look for UNIQUE calls.  A unique call is one found in one contester's log but not found in any other logs.  

Years ago, this was difficult to check for, since everything was manual.  Now that the logs are submitted electronically, they're checked that way, too.  It only takes a second for the program to spit out UNIQUES, and if one entrant has too many UNIQUES, his score can be reduced -- and he can even be disqualified -- because it is unbelievable that one station would work so many UNIQUE calls not found in others' logs.

So, it is "kind" to all those you contacted if you send in your log!

Unfortunately, ARRL, CQ, et al no longer accept "paper" logs at all, and any log submitted must be via electronic means in Cabrillo format.  That format is exported by all popular logging software, but if you're not using any (and just a paper and pencil), you can't submit a log, even if you want to.

WB2WIK/6
WA6ST

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2002, 05:50:29 PM »

Actually, ARRL continues to accept paper logs. Any file that IS submitted electronically has to be in Cabrillo format, but, and I quote from the ARRL Web site as of today, Rule 5.3, "Handwritten logs, showing required QSO information, are accepted for all ARRL contests."  

So, happily, if you want to you CAN still use paper.

73, Stan WA6ST
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2002, 05:58:36 PM »

WA6ST:  You're so right!  I stand corrected, checked this again per your advice and the League does say they'll accept paper logs.

I was confused by the announcement by CQ Magazine that they will (at least for now) not accept any mailed logs and only accept electronic logs for their contests (WW DX, WW WPX).

Thanks again for the correction!

73 de Steve, WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: