Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Major contests should feature a Mobile Class  (Read 645 times)
WU3U

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2001, 05:14:30 PM »

Since I live in condo with antenna restrictions, I cannot erect the kinds of antennas that would give me a reasonable shot at being competitive in a major contest.  

However, I really enjoy contesting, and participate as best I can from my mobile set up, most notably during Field Day, which recognizes mobile operation as a distinct form of participation, along with the various state QSO parties.

I wonder why other contests do not recognize mobile participation as a distinct form of competition, the way they do with QRP?

With ever-increasing antenna restrictions, it seems to me that more and more hams will be doing HF mobile in the future.   If the major contests (SS, CQWW, etc) listed mobiles seperately, there would be a way to meaninfully compete as a mobileer.  Perhaps some scoring bonus could be awarded for working mobiles to encourage stations to listen for weaker signals (a valuable skill for emergency preparedness) and mobiles would be able to change locations to provide new multipliers.

I have even thought of a totally new contest I call "The Cat and Mouse HF Challenge."  The idea here would be for fixed stations (the cats) to chase the mice (the mobiles).  Fixed could only work mobile and vice versa.  Fixed stations could not call CQ, only mobiles could, and the fixed stations would have to "find" them.  Mobiles could be worked again if they go into a new multiplier (probably counties).

Anyway, just a thought, and comments apprecieated.
KC7OKZ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2001, 02:16:58 PM »

Hi from HI (Hawaii that is) - Great idea! I've been a ham since 1962 and have now retired to our sailboat. As I am always Maritme Mobil now contests are a no-no. For the most part it doesn't work for me from either end. People don't want to talk to a mobile when they're hot and heavy into a contest and I can't qualify for most rewards. Your "Cat & Mouse" sounds fun. I'll be watching the response you get. Lots of luck.  Jim  http://www.qsl.net/kc7okz
N6VQQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2001, 07:40:42 PM »

N8LXR, that is a great idea, I am totally mobile when I am on the air. I like you cannot put up an antenna due to landlord.
I think that to those who are interested, we should address this on this forum and come up with some guidelines.
With all the contests out there from "fox hunting" to "wallpaper chasing", this idea of yours has merit!
Sign me up!   73  Ron
K3FT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2001, 11:15:45 AM »

Just an information tidbit.

If you are inside the territorial waters of the USA (12 miles or 200 depending on who you talk to, but 12M is safe bet) and you are in a conveyance that can be operated while in motion then guess what.. you are simply 'MOBILE'.  No 'marine mobile', no 'portable mobile', no 'maritime mobile'.  So you are free to enter the contest and have ablast!

Also, since the FCC removed the requirement to sign 'Mobile <whatever radion district you are currently within>' on voice or '/m <whatever radio district you are currently within>' you can simply sign your callsign and be happy.  Contesters (or anyone else for that matter) won't have a clue unless you tell them. HI.

Check Part 97 of 47 CFR part 97 and look under indentification requirements.

As for the legal side.. there are only 4 categories. Fixed, Portable, Mobile, Aeronautical Mobile.

Fixed is your licensed location, even if you are in your car in the driveway. You are at your licensed location and are fixed.

Portable - anywhere AWAY from your licensed location. You can park your car at a park, toss a wire in the trees and WHAMMO. you are portable.

Mobile - Station is capable of being operated while the conveyance is in motion.

Aeronautical Mobile - Self Explanatory.

You can sign 'mobile' when you are in the car at home of course and a lot do.

Howevever, there is no category 'marine mobile'. Maritime Mobile means you are outside the legal territorial limits of the Entity. If you sign maritime mobile you then must append the Radio Region you are within (such as Maritime Mobile Region One/ Two/Three, etc.)

So if you are on your sailboat inside the territorial waters of the USA, jsut sign your call or sign plain Mobile. Have fun!  GO for it. Contesters work anyone. A Q is a Q is a point!

Chuck K3FT
N4SL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 02:23:33 PM »

I certainly agree, a Mobile Class would be very good. The rules would be pretty simple, you must make your contacts with the ability to drive the vehicle as-is, meaning your antennas and power must be self contained, but you don't HAVE to be in motion.

You know, some geek (I'm a geek) will rent some huge truck and mount a 3el yagi on it at 30' and sit out in the middle of the desert and show himself driving around so the rules should be pretty specific.

This is cool, I like it.
It IS true some of the big guns don't want to waste their time pulling QRP/Mobile weak sigs out of the noise 'cause it takes longer, but I really like it when the QRPers come out and bend over backwards to dig them out.

73, Steve N4SL Machias, WA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: