Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 160 meter contesting  (Read 1392 times)
K1PX

Ignore
« on: April 22, 2000, 10:47:10 AM »

I find contesting on this band to be a particularly unique challenge. Figuring out stategies and working with various antennas to improve performance are my favorite parts of it. Anyone else find this band interesting for contesting?          
W4AN
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2000, 04:35:09 PM »

The CQ 160M SSB contest is about the dumbest contest on the planet.  About 30 guys can occupy the band with their CQ's and everyone else get's go S&P for these 30 guys.  It's amazing to me that anyone operates this contest at all.  

W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2000, 11:35:43 AM »

I agree with Bill, but the problem is with ALL major SSB contests on 160 meters. What they need is restricted "no transmit" areas so people can hear DX, and a rule that forces people to move to new frequencies once in a while.
KR1G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2000, 11:00:44 AM »

Very new to 160, as I've just aquired enough real estate, but I've gottasay, the CQ160CW contest was just about my favorite contest of the year. It had some slow times, some fast times, some wierd propagation, and some very exciting times. I was amazed that Eu would call me at times!
Next year I should be louder, and *definately* hear much much better.

SSB?? Well, the CQ160SSB contest was interesting, for about 5 minutes Smiley If we're going to be silly why not a 160 FM or 160 AM contest!!! And count me out.

Ted
AH8DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2000, 02:31:03 AM »

The DX window on 160 is an asset to the DX but generally speaking when on a small island trying to erect a 160 meter antenna, it always seems that I cannot get the antenna's swr at minimum in that part of the band, therefore I generally have to operate where the antenna has lowest swr.  Traveling with a bulky antenna tuner just is not a high priority since I am overweight almost always.  The antenna of choice recently has been an inverted L using 45 vertical feet of army fiberglass mast on the beach with  elevated radials towards EU and Stateside.  Remember to listen outside of the DX window for weak DX because of their swr problems.

Gud DX,  Craig AH8DX

N1RR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2000, 11:39:30 PM »

160M contesting IS very difficult, but is a great place to test and compare HF radios. Your equipment must stands up to very loud signals S9+50/60/70/80db and reveal the extremely weak ones. What radios do you use/hate on 160 ?
Do you use one type on CW and another for SSB ?

W8CAR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2000, 04:23:06 PM »

The CQ 160CW contest is one of the most interesting contests around. As someone has already stated you  will work a station 50 DB over S9 and then have a puny weak EU station calling you. The challenge is to work EVERYONE on the band who is active at any given time. It is also a time to meet many calls and friends who you may work in other contests or only the 160 ones. It's always neat when someone sends 'gud to hr u' with their exchange. As for radios-my FT1000MP hears in all the 'nooks and crannies' of the band. I have several listening ants including EWEs and have had a beverage for one wonderful season.
The challenge is to get a good balance between what you can hr and be heard ! Many people can experiment on this band as compared to 10-20 where tower height and wallet depth may determine your signal strength. One additional remark-as a definite Ol' fart, I remember when 160 was barely used and didn't really appear on radio band switches until the late 70s and early 80s. Once LORAN moved out it became a challenge to use the band because I never could before! They say we desire the things most that we can't have-so when I got a chance to work 160 it was a dream come true.

Now, if everyone would just agree on and use the DX window in the next few years -it will be lots of fun!!!!

CU on 160
Dan W8CAR
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2002, 01:54:34 AM »

I agree with other posts that "contests" should be restricted to less than the entire bandwidth to allow
normal qso's, and DX..............  But the 160 contest has to be one of the best. As others have pointed out, It takes more than a fat wallet to buy lots of aluminum on a big tower to make it work!  I never thought I would enjoy 160 as much as I do now.
Great band!  
KE4DYG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2002, 12:01:18 PM »

i would like to know how to build an inverted l antenna. tried to build one but could not get it to reonate properly any help would be greatly appericated the freq i want to use is 1.892 thanks for any help i can get robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: