Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How'd you do in CQWW SSB?  (Read 901 times)
K7UQT

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2000, 01:45:21 AM »

I was hoping to get 25,000 points.  I went a little crazy and ended up with over 87k.  All that with a vertical attenuator antenna taped to a fence post.  Over all, I'm thrilled.  Now if I could just get the contest echoes out of my head, maybe I could sleep.
Would love to hear how the contest went for others.

73 Lisa K7UQT
KC8CON

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2000, 10:20:15 AM »

This was my first year working this contest and I really didn't know what to expect.  I only operated for about 12 hours and made over 61,000 points.  I really wasn't trying to contest, I just wanted to see what it would be like.  I know I picked up several countries that I needed (working on my first 100 DX countries).  I was operating a Yaesu FT-840 into a 80 Meter dipole using a DRAKE MN-2000 Tuner.

I had a blast, I can't wait to see the results for the whole weekend.

I will be looking forward to next years CQ WW SSB contest.  I may operate the whole time if I can stay awake.  To me it is the next best thing to Field Day, just not all of the fellowship.

Juddie, KC8CON
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2000, 02:58:25 PM »

Juddie, try to locate a multi-operator setup for the next contest.  They often have openings for newbies, but you usually need an "in" - try a contest club in your area.  You'll get the comraderie as well as less of the setup/tear down hassles.  Also, from my experience, Field Days often have a lot of club politics.  With "real" contests, the station owner naturally orchestrates everything.

Also, at least with regard to operating, the participants at multi-ops are necessarily (they do this 4-8 times a year) more knowledgeable about the really fun aspects of contests (running, finding multipliers, propagation, etc.) than those at Field Days.  Heck, Field Day doesn't even have multipliers!

My intent is NOT to "put down" Field Days (I still like them a lot) but any "contesting" experience derived from them should be just the start!

73, Mike
VE3SRE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2000, 01:57:05 AM »

I operated from VB2R in Zone 2 in northwest Quebec.  We were a multi-multi operation but operating on generator power from a provincial wilderness area...80 KM from the nearest town.

Our operation was sort of like a "field day on steroids"...often in sub-zero degree C weather.  We had at least one evening where the mercury dropped to
-7 degrees C (17 degrees F) with 50-60 KPH winds.  Sometimes I was worried that the tent trailer I was operating in was going to pick up and fly away while I was operating (hi).

It was my first experience being on the receiving end of a massive pile-up into Japan!!

We had a beautiful display of the aurora borealis on both the Saturday and Sunday evenings which totally wiped us out on 40/80/160

We scored just over nine million points...a little shy of the all-time Zone 2 record of 9.6 million points.
Some of the members of our group are "veteran" contesters, others are relatively new at contesting.  All in all though we had lots of fun and will be back up there next year!

73 de Bob VE3SRE
M0CUS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2003, 02:58:29 AM »

The 10m ARRL contest in December was my first contest as well but it will not be the last we had a great time. 216,000 points 100dxcc countries and 49 US states.I doubt if we (me and M3SDE Tim)get any high placings but who cares.On the Sunday it was just non stop pile-up.The next day on the local repeater I nearly called through saying "qrz contest".
N2MR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 01:52:40 PM »

Q    Z    C    D
 160     4    3    4    0
  80    58    8   36    0
  40    84   13   48    1
  20   148   16   58    0
  15   293   27   90    1
  10   485   25   99    0
 ALL  1072   92  335    2
   CQWW Score: 1,279,719