Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood TS480SAT  (Read 10162 times)
WB5PGX

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2010, 11:04:13 AM »

I am considering purchasing a Kenwood TS480SAT and setting up a remote station at my office which is more antenna friendly than my house. I really prefer the older style of operating which involved more knob twisting than menu based operating. That being said the Kenwood with the remote head at the house and the transmitter at the remote site seems like my best bet. I have basic computer skills (I use word, excel, and so forth) but I am not very proficient in setting up software programs or configuring systems. So how hard is it to set up the Kenwood TS 480 SAT for internet remote and how close is the operating experience going to resemble a non remote setup?
thanks,
Jay WB5PGX
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 04:10:21 PM »

I purchased the Kenwood TS-480SAT just because I too desire to turn the knob instead of click.  I purchased the Remoterig system to provide that functionality.  About 15 minutes ago, I got internet wirelessly transferred to the shop location where my remote base setup is located via a wireless bridge.  I will be on the road all day tomorrow, but will report back on Tuesday regarding how easy it was to setup the Remoterig system.

I have a Windows Tablet PC that stays in my pickup all the time.  I have been using my Motorola Droid cellphone to tether internet to the Tablet PC.  By utilizing Internet Sharing, I plan to also run internet remote from my pickup.  I like the idea of running HF mobile without a vehicle mounted antenna.
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:46:20 AM »

Upgrading the firmware and strapping the boxes for the TS-480SAT was fairly straightforward, but the networking issues prevented me from getting the system on the air yesterday afternoon.  Working through these issues has forced me to start understanding details about the internet that before I had taken for granted.  This has actually been a very good exercise.  I now have some understanding of DNS, DHCP, etc.

I will report back after I make another attempt.
SV1BDO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 02:31:42 PM »

Jay, as far as I know, there are 2 ways to fully remote your TS-480 head.

The 1st way uses 2 PCs (one on each side) and the free software written by W4MQ. You will need to buy 2 TTL to USB adapters (25-35$ each), for connecting the remote head and the main unit to the PCs. A static IP (fixed from your ISP provider) address is also needed. It is the cheapest method, if you have already the PCs (or notebooks for less power consumption). But you will need some time to configure the software and hardware in order to obtain a good audio quality (through Skype, has better results) both ways. The PC knowledge required is not so exotic, if you can have help from someone with good skills in computing and networking, you can do it easily. You will need some basic soldering technique to supply 5VDC from a small wall unit to the remote head.

The other way is to buy the almost plug-and-play black boxes from RemoteRig.com. They need less time for configuration, as you are neither going to use any PCs or software at both sides for operation, nor a Skype connection. You can have also a CW port. The audio quality is superb and your correspondent will not see any difference in your operation, unless you say it. This method will cost you 471 USD plus shipping.

Some friends have tried the W4MQ solution, but they found the RemoteRig boxes easier for setup and operation. They said also that RemoteRig has flawless operation, while the W4MQ system may have problems from a computer crash.

I am also thinking for remote operating my TS-480 (owned 4 years, fantastic rig for the money), but I have not yet decided what to do. If I had the money today, I should go with the remoterig.

Good luck and let us know the results of your project.

73, Sotiris SV1BDO
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 07:30:26 PM »

Okay...I finally have everything working with the Remoterig system, including remote rotator control.  The networking issues that bogged me down turned out to be like everything else, totally overwhelming at first but totally obvious after I gained an understanding.  There are a lot of subtle details about the setup that someone that has been through this can explain to you in a few minutes that might take you a week to figure out on your own.  Therefore, I would highly recommend that you enlist the help of someone that has successfully set one of these systems up.

The only issue I have left to solve is that my transmit/receive audio cuts out every few seconds due to my internet connection on the control end of my link.  My problem has something to do with my laptop providing the USB to Ethernet conversion through Internet Sharing from my Droid 3G cellphone to the Remoterig box.  I suspicion that something like Windows Power Management or Norton Internet Security is the culprit because the receive audio always cuts out noticeably when I do anything on the computer, even operations that have nothing to do with the internet.

Otherwise, when connected to an adequate internet source, I am very impressed with the operation of the Remoterig system.  The operation of the radio is just like being directly connected by the supplied cable...you push the power button on the control head and the radio turns on and you start operating.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 03:47:54 AM by Terry L. Browning » Logged
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »

I ran a 480 remote for some time just using the free software provided by Kenwood.  I used RealVNC to enable me to access all my PC applications from the remote site, including rotor control, logging program, etc.  Skype was used for the audio channel.  I even ran CW using a free keyboard/CW program that ran on the base PC and was controlled from the remote.  I was able to do some SSB contest operation on 6M that way.  The  only significant problem was the slight delay imposed by the Internet in both directions.  I suppose the special hardware might be more desirable for a permanent remote operation, but it isn't a necessity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: