Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hustler 5BTV's weird "three legged spider"  (Read 994 times)
K2RLH

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2010, 09:03:38 PM »

We just put up a 5BTV as an inexpensive starter antenna for multiband HF. The "six legged spider" seems normal, six radials equidistantly spaced at 60 degree intervals. But the "three legged spider" on our unit is NOT equidistantly spaced - it has three radials at 90 degree intervals with one quadrant completely empty.

Normally that would result in an oddly shaped omni pattern. Is this normal/intentional? Did we get an improperly manufactured 5BTV?

Thanks!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 09:28:09 PM »

The position of little capacitance hat spokes like that doesn't affect the radiation in any considerable way.

I don't know why they'd be asymmetrical, but it doesn't really matter.

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
K4JC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 05:55:21 AM »

I own a couple of 5BTVs and have built several others, and all of them had that 3 blade spider in a "T" pattern instead of a "Y" pattern. I don't know why that is, but the antenna works fine. Just make sure you have some kind of counterpoise, even if it's only a couple of wires. The more the better, of course. I have a 6BTV using my backyard fence as the counterpoise and I work the world with it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: