Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-765 vs TS-940SAT  (Read 2921 times)
AA1JD

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2000, 04:20:59 PM »

Hello hams I currently run a TS-940SAT and have been thinking of a used IC-765 that has been offered to me for sale.  Is this an upgrade or a laterial transfer?  The asking price is 1K$ is that fair for a IC-765? Has anyone out there had a chance to operate both of these rigs?
        73's

Matt // AA1JD,
WL7M

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2000, 06:13:03 PM »

Hi Matt,

Haven't used the TS-940SAT, but the IC765 is a great rig!  $1000 is a fair price, if it has the additional CW/SSB filters installed, is a late serial number (4XXX and above), and has had the vco caps upgraded and other factory upgrades installed.  The 765 is built like a tank.  I've worked about 240 countries with mine, barefoot.

73,  Joe  WL7M
ZC4BS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2000, 08:27:37 AM »

Hi Matt,

I guess this is the "other half" of Joe's letter as I have never used the IC-765 !!!!

Owned the TS940SAT for 12 years and in the main a superb rig. Helped me take the CQWW SSB world record from ZC4 land (my first tour but since been beaten).

The rig was easy to operate but did suffer from "dry joints" - due to the fan circulating cold air into the rig rather than the other way around ... did I say that right ?  The upshot was I had to physically lift the cpu in the synthesizer and reseat it again. Easier said than done because there are quite a few screws to undo to get there !!!  A squirt with switch cleaner and all was well again.

However, we shouldn't have to do this on a rig of this calibre !!  Apparantly the TS950 flagship has had similar problems.  Put me right off Kenwood - hope the new TS2000 is better .... jury is still out on the looks of this one though !!!

If I could get another for $1000 .... yes I would buy it. But the XYL has allowed me to go for either the IC775 or FT1000MP mk5 ..... if I buy her a car. One thing at a time though  <grin !>

Good luck

Steve
ZC4BS also ZC4ESB ZD8SB G4KIV N5ZFR
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2001, 09:19:54 PM »

Qst Review specs the Icom receiver as being superior per test data. As for operating convenience and other details, not sure. Both are great radios!
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2001, 04:42:13 AM »

I've owned both radios and personally would prefer the '940.  $1000 is too much for either one, though.  Many folks don't realize how much their used radios have depreciated recently because the newer radios are much less expensive.  Hard to justify a kilobuck for a 15 yr old radio when a new DC to daylite rig with DSP is just about the same money.  I just sold a nice '940 for $650.  I think a 765 ought to be in about the same category.  The 765 receiver will stand up a bit better than the Kenwood's in the presence of strong signals, like in a multi-multi or Field Day operation.  But I prefer Kenwood's ergonomics and audio  (both on TX and RX) to the ICOM.  ICOM's audio has always sounded hissy and fatiguing to me, but that's a very personal thing.   Kenwood's TX relay is noisy on CW if you like to operate QSK.  And the '940 has no built in keyer.  I have always liked Kenwood's method of transmit frequency setting when operating split.  It makes it nearly impossible to transmit on your receive frequency.  The '940 hears very well when aligned properly, something that any 15 yr old radio may be due for.  The thing I disliked most about the 765 is that it was about as much fun to operate as a toaster or microwave oven.  Again that is a very subjective thing, but to me it had all the personality of a kitchen appliance.  That was also true of its predecessor, the 761 (owned one of those, too).  If I wanted to upgrade a '940, I would rather spend around $700 on a clean TS-850S, assuming that you can live without an internal power supply. Basically you are looking at a lateral move.  The radio that suits your taste best is the one that will make you happiest.
N0XE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2003, 11:50:59 AM »

I agree with K0RS on just about everything, but a lot of these rigs performance and dependability  depends on the serial number. A late 940SAT is hard to beat for all around performance and super audio. I also loved my 765 and would take either radio. The price for a good one should be around 650 to 750, 800 tops if loaded with filters and that is pushing it.  Nothing beats the 940 on audio and the CW on the Icom has always been lacking in my opionion. The audio is not even close to the 940. The Icom has a great receiver for it's time and love those big buttons and knobs. The 940 is one of the easiest rigs ever to use and in my case the CW was much better then the 765, I found the keying to be very quiet, but once again may be a serial number thing as these rigs do get improvements as later versions are sold. Yes it is a lateral move, but if you find a good price on any of them, it can be a great move. Plenty of mods for both rigs on several of the mod sites and they will make both radios even better. Good luck.  73 N0XE
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: