Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Traveling Salesmans hotel room rig  (Read 6425 times)
KD0ILM

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:28:22 PM »

Any thoughts on a VERY easy to carry SSB system to use in a hotel room? Ideally something I can bring in a carry on since I rarely check luggage. QRP is fine also. Antenna ideas are also welcome
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 10:41:06 PM »

I remote control my Kenwood TS-480 from a notebook computer over the internet when traveling.

• Ham Radio Deluxe
    Hamachi VPN
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 07:18:55 AM »

The FT-817ND is what I use for portable with the Z-817 tuner. The 5 watts is a definite limitation. If more power is what you want the FT-857 with a small manual tuner (MFJ-901B for example) and a small switching power supply will do the job.

HB9PJT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 12:09:29 PM »

W6CD, what do you make with Hamachi VPN?

73, Peter - HB9PJT
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 02:23:40 PM »

Any thoughts on a VERY easy to carry SSB system to use in a hotel room? Ideally something I can bring in a carry on since I rarely check luggage. QRP is fine also. Antenna ideas are also welcome

I assume you are referring to an HF rig. I have an Alinco DX-70 and a Samlex switching supply. The problem is not the rig, it's what you are going to use for an antenna. I have used an old B&W apartment window antenna (MFJ has one now) with moderate success, but presumes you have a window or balcony that opens. I wouldn't even think of using an indoor antenna in the hotel room.

I finally gave up dealing with the antenna situation and simply go down to the vehicle and work mobile.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W6CD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 11:05:36 PM »

W6CD, what do you make with Hamachi VPN?

73, Peter - HB9PJT

Hamachi VPN works much like a SIP connection - both the host and remote are outgoing connections to a common server (hosted by Hamachi) - the server sets up the connection, then drops out and the host and remote are communicating directly.  This avoids most of the difficulties of tranversing unfamilier and problematic outbound network connection over the systems at whatever/various hotel or other venue I am staying at.  And avoids security issues of having inbound connections enabled to my host/home network.  Additionally, it provides a secure encrypted tunnel so I can use the free version of VNC (which has no encryption, one of the reasons it's free).  For personal use, Hamachi is also free.
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:22:34 AM »

Before I retired I often took an IC-703 with me on business travel.  I used a charged-up NiMH battery stick attached to the side of the IC-703 (info at www.ad5x.com) and a 20-meter dipole that I'd tape across the room near the ceiling with masking tape.  I'd always request a room on the top floor.  I had lots of fun with that set-up.

Phil - AD5X
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »

I have a PRC-174. I would love to see the expressions on the faces of the TSA people if I carried that as check-on baggage.

You will not believe the hassle they gave me when carrying an IFR service monitor through airport security.

Tisha Hayes

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 05:40:24 AM »

IC-7000 Samlex power supply indoor mag-loop and a wire + a 2m 1/4 wave mag mount with a small mobile tuner all fits in a very small case. Can setup in less than 5 min and working a few contacts. You have quite a few antenna choices to chose from these days.

Fred
N0AZZ
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 09:23:11 AM »

Fred, are you using the MFJ-933 loop tuner?
NK5G

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 10:02:13 AM »

I use my iPhone for remote operation.

Using the free version of LogMeIn and the free version of Skype.

Works FB.  Wink
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2011, 09:05:21 PM »

I have a complete station that fits in a backpack.  IC 7000 and parts of a Buddipole vertical antenna system and either a small switching power supply, or 25 amp gel cell battery.  There is a shock corded mast that packs in the backpack I use if I have a window to poke the vertical out of.  I use the mast, then the VersaTee, then a coil, then extend the collapsible whip. Then I use one wire radial dropped down so it is more like a vertical dipole.  If I do not have a window that will open, I have a small table mounted tripod I bought, I put it on the floor, put a coil on top of that, and whip on top of that and extend the whip. Then I lay a one or two radial system on the floor around the base using wire and a  kite winder.  Either way, it works with acceptable SWR, and all packs up into one backpack.  About ten minutes to setup and break down.  I have an antenna restricted home, so I do the same drill at home, except I put up a more elaborate Buddipole vertical system on their bigger tripod, and use a longer collapsible whip. I take it all down when not in use at home to keep the neighbors guessing.  I can work 40M and up. This is my solution for hamming anywhere. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: