Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Small SMA HT antenna suggestion  (Read 2915 times)
KC0FTC

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2010, 03:54:07 PM »

I've been using a MH-209SMA antenna for pocket carry with my VX-7R. But I had problems with the rubber cover coming off the outside. I glued it on but it finally fell off who knows where and I'm stuck with the bare antenna. I need another small 144/440 antenna for pocket carry. I've been looking at some reviews and just haven't found any that are really good besides the MH-209SMA. I'd like something that performs just as well but is more durable? And close to the same size, could be a little bit bigger but not more than 5 inches. Thanks
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:24:13 PM »

In the meantime you might try covering your existing antenna with heat shrink tubing.
KC0FTC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 05:54:01 PM »

I did the heat shrink thing for now, looks silly but should work.  Still need to find a better replacement. 
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 04:57:14 PM »

Perhaps a Maldol MH-511 (4.25")? Not sure it it's any mopre durable than the MH-209 though.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 07:53:44 AM »

Another solution is to recover the entire antenna (except for the connector, of course) with the stuff that is sold to 'rubber' coat the handles of pliers and other tools.  I suggest dipping it into the liquid at least twice. 

I've redone antennas like that before, and as long as you take care to clean the old 'coating' off of the antenna and wipe the thing down with alcohol to get rid of grease and oil, the antenna will look like new again.
K3ZOR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:54:24 PM »

If the antenna does not have to be a "rubber duck" or flexible, have you considered an SMA telescoping whip? I bought a Nagoya NA-733 off of ebay (a Hong Kong dealer) for my VX-3R, it was under $15 shipped and arrived in 1 week. It collapses down to 4.5 inches and extends to 16 inches and it is dual band (2m/70cm).

It works exceptionally well and considerably better than any of the flex antennas that I had tried. It works pretty well for receiving even when it is fully collapsed. I liked it so much I ordered a second one for my VX-5R.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:34:54 PM »

The 209sma is a good 2 meter antenna while lacking a little on 440

I use the 209sma most of the time since it's very flexible, short, and performs decent.

When I need better range on 440, I switch to the comet sma503
AL7MM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »

I use an SMA to BNC adapter and a short Maldol duck.

Mike, AL7MM
KE2KB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 07:33:41 AM »

Another solution is to recover the entire antenna (except for the connector, of course) with the stuff that is sold to 'rubber' coat the handles of pliers and other tools.  I suggest dipping it into the liquid at least twice. 

I've redone antennas like that before, and as long as you take care to clean the old 'coating' off of the antenna and wipe the thing down with alcohol to get rid of grease and oil, the antenna will look like new again.
I like this idea. These products work very well for this purpose, and are easy and inexpensive to apply. I would certainly give it a try before buying a new antenna. Besides, I'm sure there are a hundred other uses you could find for the stuff.

FW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: