Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help in Obtaining Texas DX society membership  (Read 1123 times)
N5EIL

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2004, 01:30:56 PM »

I need help trying to get nominated for the TDXS club. I have done what the web site told me to do and email a member for an application.

Anyone have any thing else that would help me get in?

N5EIL, Neil
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 08:17:59 AM »

Hi Neil,

I don't want to rain on your parade, but don't hold your breath.  DX clubs tend to rather different animals than your average general interest ham club.  Rightly or wrongly, they are pretty exclusive places to hang out.  I scanned the TDXS member roster and saw the calls of some pretty heavy hitters in the DX/contesting world.  There's less than 160 members in the entire club, probably all of which have worked 300 countries and the majority of whom will be on the honor roll.  These guys are ALL 20 WPM Extras and I don't see ANY N5 calls with three letter suffixes.  These groups tend to select members on the basis of what they feel the nominee can bring to their club, rather than on the basis of the new member's desire to learn.  Snobbery?  Perhaps, but if you want to join their club, I would suggest you get busy, work a bunch (like a WHOLE bunch) of DX, get on the honor roll and get your 5BDXCC.  Kick a few of their member's butts in some pileups and contests, that'll get their attention.  When members start to recognize your call as a player in the DX world, the doors will begin to open.  Sound like a tall order?  It is.  You gotta pay your dues if you wanna hang with the big dogs.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger...

Good Luck
N5EIL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 09:37:31 PM »

Well thanks for the info. I figured that is what I would have to do. looks like I need to get cracking! Hey atleast this gives me a reason to put up some more antennas and do some dx hunting, and if I don't make the club, atleast I will have fun trying!

N5EIL, Neil
N5DD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 03:59:40 PM »

Hi Neil-
After looking your call up in QRZ.com I see that you live in Terrell. Our membership and activities are centered about Houston. There are DX and contest clubs in the DFW area that may be more convenient for you.
If you are ever in Houston, and can make it to one of our meetings, please feel free to join us. We normally meet on the second Thursday of the month. Current meeting info can be found on our web site http://www.tdxs.org.
73 & GL
Don, N5DD
Vice-President Texas DX Society
N5EIL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2004, 10:45:15 PM »

I sure will try to! I am just a high school student with a small station, so I am not any where close to being a " Big Gun" contesting station, But love chasing DX.

N5EIL, Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: