Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: listening to ham radio online  (Read 27978 times)
KC9KMZ

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

Good afternoon

Today while online I found Hamsphere. Is it an informative and easy to use web site. Is it possible to listen to ham radio on line while on the web page?  Thank  you

Jim
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 09:13:20 PM »

There's a whole raft of web-accessible receivers out there, all around the world, so you can listen to most bands from most places.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:08:02 PM »

HamSphere is not in any way real radio. it is a fake simulation of radio and pretends to be "on the air". what you are listening to is either the owners setup noise and audio or folks that are using hamsphere also and not really on the air except in their heads. Try Global Tuners for real receivers or even Radio Reference.

stop trying to make radio a computer game

Dan
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »

HamSphere is not in any way real radio. it is a fake simulation of radio and pretends to be "on the air". what you are listening to is either the owners setup noise and audio or folks that are using hamsphere also and not really on the air except in their heads. Try Global Tuners for real receivers or even Radio Reference.

stop trying to make radio a computer game

Dan
Really, what's the point of "HamSphere" anyway? It's a joke, not radio.
"You can even setup your own SW Broadcast Station on the 48m band" Hahahahaha!
What a joke.
There's even one idiot, VE3JAR, who's made over 5,500 "QSO's"
with "200 countries" using HamScam.
And the guy has the temerity to consider himself a ham radio operator?
WG3L

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 01:44:50 AM »

I'd like to take issue with this excerpt:

> Really, what's the point of "HamSphere" anyway? It's a joke, not radio.
> "You can even setup your own SW Broadcast Station on the 48m band"
> Hahahahaha! What a joke.

Let's "time shift" this sequence... back to a time before Google existed...
would you have been the sceptic, who pondered, similarly:

< Really, what's the point of "Google" anyway?
< It's a joke, not a proper search engine.
< "Google think [they] can ... setup [their] own search engine on the Internet"
< Hahahahaha!
< What a joke.

We Hams can be lots more positive about others' innovations...
it we try. :-)

Please consider...
W3END

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »

I have to agree with WG3L, I mean we are soon to be in the year 2011. Technology has changed maybe some may disagree but let's face it folks most of us don't look things up in the world book encyclopedia anymore.There are some people who cannot have a true "shack" due to their limitations, living quarters, albeit a retirement home etc, so things like this can make communications possible for those hams. No disrespect to anyone we are all entitled to our opinions this is just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 01:08:40 PM by John G. Enders » Logged
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »

Sounds like a wonderful thing.Not everyone can have the equipment and antennas that we enjoy,so we that do have these luxuries need to please back-off...Remember,a ham is friendly and doesn't do some thing to lessen the fun of others,no matter what.Folks are having fun,nothing wrong with that. 73  Smiley kd8iic.
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »

Welcome to the virtual world, learn to embrace it or get left behind.  Our hobby needs this type of creative thinking. 

73, Tim
www.N9RO.com

Real techies don't use knobs.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 10:42:44 AM »

Welcome to the virtual world, learn to embrace it or get left behind.  Our hobby needs this type of creative thinking. 

I disagree very strongly!

Hamsphere and CQ100 are NOT "ham radio". They are not even RADIO! They are simply online simulations, nothing more. No radio, no antenna, no license, just a PC, internet connection and some software.

How is that "creative thinking"?

If people recognize that it's just a simulation, fine. But from what I see, the "simulation" and "virtual" aspects are often downplayed far too much.

The Hamsphere website says "turn your PC into a Ham Radio Transceiver!" but it does nothing of the sort.

Some analogies:

There's a Wii console in my house. I've played simulated golf, bowling, tennis and pool on it, and gotten pretty good scores. Does that mean I'm any good at those games, or that I've actually played them?

If I buy and use Flight Simulator, can I call myself a pilot?

Is running 26.2 miles on a treadmill the same as running the Boston or New York marathon?

I think not.

And consider where all this can lead:

If we have Hamsphere, CQ100, etc., why do we need rigs, antennas, etc., at all?

73 de Jim, N2EY
AJ3O

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »

Just getting my ticket and much of the info still being fresh in my head, Ham/Amateur radio is just that. Communications between one or more parties via RADIO.... True, there are many modes of operation, but ALL employ RADIO waves.

Now, if it was linked to an RF device, IE: D-Link, or similar, call it ham radio.

Just on the internet and ONLY using the internet, rename the hobby.

But just my personal opinion, it is just a bunch of crap, I was using voice comms all over the world when I was into my heavy gaming phase. Teamspeak, and others allowed real time, full duplex, clear comms with anyone on the same server. 
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 06:29:59 PM »

Just to answer the original question.

There ARE a few ways to listen to REAL ham radio online.

1) WebSDR, you can use powerful sdr radios via your web browser(java, no software to install) and tune into any frequency in their bandwith.  There are stations located all over the world and on many different bands.  Nothing to signup for or anything.

Just go here: http://www.websdr.org

2) Global Tuners.  Actual radios online you can use and control to listen.  Its a mix of vhf scanner type radios, some SDR broadband type, and some actual ham radios.

You do have to sign up for an account and there is a 2 week waiting period to get full use out of the site after you sign up.

Go here: http://www.globaltuners.com

3) You can also use some SDR radios remotely, via a full copy of the sdr-radio software running on your local PC.

See here for more info: http://sdr-radio.com/OnAirServersFree/tabid/186/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:15:37 PM by WS4E » Logged
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:49:22 PM »

Google this: CQ100

That is an interesting take on online radio.
Frank
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:57 PM »

Google this: CQ100

That is an interesting take on online radio.

"Online radio" is an oxymoron - a contradiction in terms. CQ100 is not radio at all; it's an online simulator. Don't even need a license.

It was discussed on eham at length some time back:

http://www.eham.net/articles/21611

Note that the article makes it sound as if the author is actually on the air - but he's not.

73 de Jim, N2EY
N6RHF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »

I tried 40m on websdr.org, was hoping to hear some code that I might be able to copy. It'll be a major effort to get an antenna for 40m so I wanted to get an idea what I might hear. Didn't hear anything, but that could be inexperience. I'd like to hear code on the internet while I'm working on getting on 40m, so it seems to have some value IMHO.  ;^)

-bill
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 12:08:47 PM »

If you are wanting CW copy practice I would suggest global tuners.

After the 'waiting' period you can probably find an open receiver and tune the low ends of the bands and find lots of CW to copy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: