Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 meter mobile radio  (Read 7551 times)
COMINGBACK

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2010, 02:50:03 PM »

I have been listening to the 10m contest on and off the past couple days.  Seems like the band is fairly open.   I have a 20+ year old mag mount CB antenna, stuck on a piece of steel pipe on the ground outside a first story window, connected to Radio Shack HTX-10.  The stations are booming in right now.

Question - do you think anyone will bring out a new 10m SSB mobile for the increasing sunspot activity?  I don't ask this for myself, as I am satisfied with my radios.   However, I'd like to get my Dad back into the hobby and it might be a fun way to do it.

I see that Alinco makes a 10m FM only.

73's
KF5JAT
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:56:53 AM »

http://www.rangerusa.com/rci-29dx.html
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »

With what one would pay for a single-band HF rig, you can get any number of used multi-band HF rigs - especially if one is considering the Ranger series.

There's really no market for a single HF band rig, except QRP (under 5w) rigs.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 07:20:50 AM »

Lots of HTX-10 and HTX-1000 rigs on eBay.
Most of them sell for less than $100.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=HTX-10+HTX-100&_in_kw=2&_ex_kw=&_sacat=See-All-Categories&_okw=HTX-10+HTX-100&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=Zip+code&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_rdc=1
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »

Are the Ranger Transceivers really for the amateur market or do most end up in the hands of CBer?
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »

Are the Ranger Transceivers really for the amateur market or do most end up in the hands of CBer?

It is just an educated guess, but I would be very surprised in most of them didn't become "high power" CB rigs. But they aren't the only ones. I bought a used Alinco DX-70TH from a very well known amateur radio retailer here in Connecticut a few years back and when I put it on the air in the store I discovered the frequencies in the first 40 memory channels just happened to match exactly the 40 CB channels. It was someone's nice 100w SSB CB rig.

FWIW, the DX-70 is available used for $250-$400 and will run rings around any of the Ranger rigs. The T and TD variants run 10w on 6m and the TH runs 100w. It's a nice little 6m-160m package. I have two of them, one mobile and one as my "drag along" rig.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W5LZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »

Most of the so-called '10 meter' radios you see advertised are CB radios on steroids.  Tell me, would you really be happy/satisfied with a 'channelized' radio on 10 meters or any other ham band?  The Radio Shack 'HTX' series of radios were actually 10 meters radios.  And since most of the newer radios (any brand) can be modified for MARS/CAP use, you can find almost any of them usable on 11 meters.  Oh well...
Paul / W5LZ
K7CB

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 08:58:25 AM »

IMO, the Uniden HR-2510 was THE best 10 meter mobile to ever be produced.  The early versions were very easy to modify for CB.  But later versions and the 2600 were much more difficult to convert.  I have two of them.  When I get my HF station back on the air, I plan to use one of them on an Antron 99 just for monitoring openings on 10M while my main radio (going in to a SteppIR 2 element beam) will be used for the other bands.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

All these rubbish 10 meter radios are just illegal CB radios. They have poor TX IMD and most are just making mess of the 10 meter band. If you  serious 10 meter operator you know how low the low the noise floor on 10 meters is. The last thing we need is the 10 meter band sounding like 11 meters with 50khz wide SSB splatter from fools running cheap radios with marginal IMD. The sad fact is the many ex CB operators also use their EX class C CB amplifiers on 10 meters causing more problems.

Get a proper ham radio transceiver with a decent PA that is biased properly. This CB trash radios does not belong on 10 meters.
Added to this problem is most of them having shocking receiver that are easily overloaded. Why a ham would want to use one of these free range radios is beyond me.

When I see one with a decent transmitter and receiver i WILL BUY ONE.  However everyone that I have seen and heard sound crap  and cause splatter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: