Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boom Microphones for Yaesu FT-2000  (Read 3519 times)
KB1TJY

Ignore
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:39:09 PM »

I am looking for some recommendations on a boom microphone for my FT-2000. Also, what if any adapters are required? Any / all input greatly appreciated.

Best,

Lyman
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:45:23 AM »

Boom mics are somewhat limiting.  You can connect "anything-to-anything" with money, but  this is not just a plug&play operation.  Take a look at what Heil has to offer.  But remember supervision... the PTT switch in your design.  Many like a foot switch with this type arrangement.
73s.

-Mike.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 02:21:21 PM »

I have boom mic's on most all of my rigs.  The ability to drop a boom in front of your face, and then with vox, have a conversation with your friends with out having to worry about keying the mic, is wonderful.  It also clears a lot of valuable desk space in a critical area of the desk. 

I use Heil booms and microphones for most of my gear. I like the HM 10 mics with the choice of narrow or wide audio on the mic ( Narrow for dx and wide for rag chews.)They are discontinued now but you can find them here and there.  THe GM 4/5 line ( gold color) are also a good value.  I use mostly the PL2T boom as it mounts in the back of the desk and reaches anywhere I want it to go.  They make adaptors for just about any of their mic's to any radio, so setup is easy. 

I do have one desk mic from Heil it is the Classic 5 with my call on it,  but mostly it stays in the box unless I want to put it out as a "show stopper" when company is over.Smiley

Buy one good mic, and one good boom mount and then adaptors for the various radios ,  a couple hundred bucks extremely well spent.

http://www.heilsound.com/
VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 08:41:31 AM »

Any "dynamic cardioid vocal mic" will work well as a boom mic.  If you want to spend money, the Heil PR-781 has been getting excellent reviews on this site, for many rigs.

Less-expensive alternatives include the Audio-Technica ATR30, and the Behringer XM8500.  Those are "music store" items, not 'ham radio' items.

There's a standard "XLR" socket that all "Professional" mics use.   Heil has adapter cables for standard XLR mics to any rig.  You have your choice of using VOX, hand PTT switch, or foot switch.

Charles

K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 01:37:09 PM »

Lyman,

You might be interested in the story behind this..  http://bingoldsby.com/MicBoom1.jpg  If so, you can reach me at brian@k7zrz.net, or I can tell you more here.  The boom was made from a desk lamp several years ago.

P.S.  I don't know why the first link doesn't work now... it's written correctly, but you will have to cut and paste it, I guess.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:45:12 PM by Brian J. Ingoldsby » Logged

Brian K7ZRZ
K7ZRZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 01:53:19 PM »

http://bingoldsby.com/MicBoom1.jpg

Brian K7ZRZ
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 12:01:36 PM »

Before you go the boom and microphone route, try a headset with attached microphone and also try a boom and microphone. Then get what you like better. I prefer the headset because I can hear better with headphones than any speaker, and also the mike is always in the same place so the VOX works consistently. I don't get sore trying to keep my head in the same position while talking. Whichever way you go, remember that you can also use a handswitch or foot switch for PTT as well as VOX.

Try them both and buy what you like.

73 de Walt N2IK
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »

Heil PR-781 you will not regret it shop the net for best price.
KB1TJY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 06:52:20 PM »

Thank you to everyone for the input! Greatly appreciated!

Best,

Lyman
NE5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 01:55:34 AM »

I second the mention of the Heil PR-781 Mic. I use it on my 2000 and I agree, you won't regret it
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: