Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PAR End-Fed - 20m monobander or 10/20/40 Mk2 ?  (Read 25138 times)
AA9SD

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »

Are all you folks reporting such good success using some type of counterpoise or is it more of a feedline antenna ?

I've got the 40/20/10 MkII and while I've only used it a few times so far it has performed extremely well with no counterpoise.  I use it with a 20' piece of coax as a sloper.  Most of the time the high end is no more than 20 to 25 feet up and the low end is usually around 6'.

--Sherman

-- de AA9SD
W7JCK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2013, 07:23:20 PM »

I've now had mine up a few weeks and made a few contacts (nothing over 1,000 miles).  I just added an MFJ 945e QRP tuner, even though the manufacturer suggests NOT to use a tuner.  I found that with my tuner the antenna will load up to a fairly low SWR on 80m and 30m (as well as the 40/20 that is expected), and the insertion loss isn't horrible.

I can't envision too many dire consequences from running a 5w QRP rig into a 25w antenna, except perhaps that my well-matched coax may do all the radiating on 80m and 30m.  Does anyone have any other opinions?

W7JCK
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 04:58:20 PM »

Re: N4JTE

Are all you folks reporting such good success using some type of counterpoise or is it more of a feedline antenna ?

the PAR/LNR EF antennas have only limited RF on the feed line  (small but not zero) if tuned up.
The wire which is half wave or longer (ef40/20/10 or the EF40/20) so the element is doing the work
just like a dipole.  Their success is being fed from teh end offers a lot more flexibility in getting it in the air.
I can say running the EF40/20/10 as sloper, inverted V, inverted L, Vertical,  and flat top configurations get me
the same resole as a half wave dipole oriented the same way.  No magic just feeding it in a different spot.

With all that the feedline is part of the antenna in that its the counterpoise but unless something  is seriously
screwed up it radiates little.

This is not true for the random length or non-resonant end feds, Those are more like the 26 or 43 ft untuned verticals
and a good ground radial/counterpoise system is critical to best results.

One must compare apples to apples.

Allison
W7JCK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »

I've now had mine up a few weeks and made a few contacts (nothing over 1,000 miles). 

Scratch that.  I just made 1,900 miles as 20m was closing for the day.

The antenna is mounted East-West with the West end at 15' and the East end at 10', with a mobile home 15' away on the South and 25' on the North.  TenTec HB1B pushing about 5 watts into 50' of RG8.

Thanx to all who suggested this antenna; it's a winner.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: