Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ham Radio Deluxe, an Elecraft K3 & CW  (Read 2245 times)
KC0W

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »

How does HRD "trigger" a K3 to send CW? Is it done via the K3's RS-232 port or is a separate USB to 1/8" cable needed? I have been thru the HRD manual several times & am still scratching my head as to how to perform this feat. The K3's RS-232 port is working well to control the rigs frequency/band changes & to send/receive Cluster spots. I'm assuming a different port & USB cable must be used for computer generated CW?   

Tom KC├śW   
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »

i have this woriing fairly well.  I use a second serial port (actually a USB>RS232 adapter) and a simple one transistor circuit on the DTR line to key the radio for CW.  The same system works with n1mm and N3FJP software to key cw from the computer.

The circuit is simple, uses a 1.2 K resistor, a 2n2222 transistor and is housed in the plastic shell for the connector.  The transistor base is connected to the DTR pin with the resistor.  THe emitter is grounded to the GRND pin (5 I think).  The collector is the key line for the radio.  Don't forget to also connect the RS232 GRND to the key connector ground.

For a picture, google 'cw keying circuit'.

...bc
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: