Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Contact made!!  (Read 4779 times)
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »

That looks like a nice radio. If you would like you can drop me some e-mail sometime and we sort out a sked and see if we can make it across the pond on 20m. I have worked a few stations from the UK who were running 10 watts and that was before I got my beam up. My e-mail address is good in qrz.com,

Have fun with your new station and happy New Year

73 Mark N1UK G3ZZM
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 10:23:53 AM »

I worked several stations who were running 10 watts from the UK this morning on 15m, so good luck on your first contact across the pond.

73 Mark N1UK
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »

Hi Mark, a few hours ago I heard very clearly a station in the Catskills and over about 30 minutes patiently tried to work him as he was calling for DX Europe. No luck, but its really the first time I have properly tried to contact a US station. I hope to raise my antenna by another 8 feet tomorrow, and have a scheme whereby if my wife is away at all I can raise the centre of the dipole quite a bit and try an inverted V. Have to wait for Jill to be away as this would invole a huge pole in the back garden slap bang in the middle of it! Not a pretty sight (except to me!).

About the bikes, I love the old Bonnevilles and an old Triumph was nearly my first big bike in 1996. I was in Ryans in Parramatta and they had a Tiger 100 that was not perfect, but was perfectly sound, in other words the owner had ridden it rather than preserved it. It fitted me perfectly, was green, had a little chrome rack on the tank, a lovely machine. I decided that as I was not a mechanical genius I had better get a more modern bike. So I bought an SRX600 that was great but had a fault that could not be corrected without a replacement engine. I wrote a story about my first tour on the bike, I'll send you the link you might enjoy it.  Wink

all the best

Scott

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2011, 12:34:17 PM »

It sounds hopeful that you were able to hear the Catskills station. Couldn't he hear you because of other stations calling? How strong was he on your s-meter I wonder.

My friend had a T100SS when we were at school. I had an old 1962 500cc Triumph Speedtwin....all 27hp of it. Yes they need quite a lot of attention to keep them running.

73 Mark N1UK
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »

Congrats Scotty. This is the beginning of a wonderful hobby.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2011, 05:07:27 AM »

Thanks Richard, I now have 9 contacts, 3 confirmed on the Zed (but I use a paper log in case thiers goes down!) the last one was in Italy -there are a lot of strong stations there and they can hear me well.

I can hear folks in the USA and Canada but so far conditions probably have not been right for me to reach them. Add to that they are rather popular when they call and its going to be a battle while conditions are patchy (not to mention being only on 20 limits me a bit).

I am really enjoying it so far, only drawback seems to be my wife really does NOT like the dipole in the back garden. I could move it to 1/2 on the roof of the house to reduce the visual impact, but that really would mess with the performance I think. Or under the gutter would really pick up more noise from the house. A W3EDP might be the only solution but I hate to give up the resonant antenna and start having to buy and use a tuner......

Men can only be happy when they do not assume that the object of life is happiness.
George Orwell
KJ1D

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2011, 05:56:59 AM »

Scotty
I am also using a dipole but it is made from green wire which blends in the the trees in my back yard. I have never had anyone even notice it.
2E0OZI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2011, 09:14:19 AM »

Yes I am using 5mm white wire so it stands out a bit! Thinner green wire would work better, but nothing can be done about the coax!

George Orwell
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2011, 01:27:30 PM »

Yes I am using 5mm white wire so it stands out a bit! Thinner green wire would work better, but nothing can be done about the coax!

Sure you can; spray paint it whatever color you like.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:50 PM »

Scotty:

I've been married for 51 years.  It seems that most wives protest or show displeasure with ham antennas.  Actually, it has been my observation living amoungst many married people, that women simply can't stand to see a guy having fun!

With that being said, may I suggest three things.  !-Wait her out....stand firm or as the Queen was once quoted when she told George Bush during a particularly difficult time in his presidency, "Don't get all wobbly!"  LOL.

2 -You could put up two more 'antennas' complete with coax......and when she starts complaining about them, tell her, "OK darling (or anything else that she might find believable) I'll take these two down but will leave the one up."  You will be compromising which should satisfy her.

3 - Try to get her involved with your hobby.  She might start to share your enthusiasam. This doesn't always work but you could give it a try.

Believe me, she will eventually get over it!

Rotsa Ruck

Al - K8AXW
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: