Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: F-150 transmission hump mounting an IC-7200  (Read 2821 times)
KC6STT

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »

A couple of years ago, I was checking around for how to mount some rigs on the transmission hump in my '99 F-150.  It is very wide, so it is difficult to find something off-the-shelf that will fit, that doesn't cost a king's ransom.  Is there something available that will work?  It's design has got to be sturdy enough to mount an IC-7200 up where it can be operated comfortably, and maybe another rig or two.  The hump seems to be even wider than the ones in most other pickups.  Thanks!
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 06:07:23 AM »

I.m sorry I don't have any photos of the mount, but here's how I used to do it.

I obtained a piece of metal that was about 12 inches square. I got it at a hamfest. I have no idea what it was originally used for, but it did have some sort of yellow coating on it. Two of the edges were rolled over about 3/4 inch. I used DYI aluminum to make brackets to mount the plate to hump. I used longer bolts for the legs of the transceiver, with properly spaced holes in the plate. Under the plate were wing nuts which held the transceiver down. I used the mount in several company cars, and about 4 of my own. I guess it had 5 or 6 different radios on it over the years.

You also might look in the Photo Gallery of my web site for more ideas.

KC6STT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »

In the past, I have tried to get a couple of welding shops to help me out.  But they won't touch it for some reason.  They would not even help me build a mount for my 'screwdriver' antenna.  I guess nowadays they are not into being creative or something.  And I don't have the tools or equipment to be bending metal and such.  I was hoping to find something like the old hump mounts they used to sell during the CB radio craze, only wider.  I'm starting to loose hope.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »

Part of the issue it tools. When I made the last quarter panel antenna mount, I purchased a sheet of 1/4 inch think aluminum from http://www.speedymetals.com/ As I recall, it cost just ≈$40 including the freight.

I cut the pieces I needed to fashion the mount on a bandsaw, with a metal cutting blade. I curved the fender contoured piece in a sand pit, using a rubber hammer, and a contour duplicating tool. It is like this one: http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-6-Inch-Contour-Duplication/dp/B00004T7RA It took about 4 hours to get it right!

The metal shop heliarced the pieces together, which cost ≈$25. The hardest part there, was to make sure once the mount was bolted on, the flat surface for the antenna base would be parallel with the ground. Whew! I had a friend hull blast the surfaces clean. I then had a local body shop powder coat the mount to match the color of the vehicle. That along was ≈$30

I attached the mount with 6 stainless steel bolts, right through the left quarter panel. On the inside was a second curved piece, which spread out the stresses on the quarter panel. All told, it took me about 4 weeks from start to finish, and about $100.

Yes, it is a lot of work, but when you want to mount a near 20 pound antenna on a quarter panel, it takes time and patients! This is one area of mobile operation, that it does not pay to get into a hurry!

N5MOA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »

Search "radio mount" on fleabay.

There are several that look like they might fit the bill.
W7ZOX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 12:54:56 PM »

Go to ebay and look for ram mount and then look for shock mount--I found a 10" tall one and a shock mount with double 1/4 aluminum plates and shouk in between that was just the size of my kenwood 120s---nice clean and very adjustable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: