Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Routing power cable in 2011 CRV SE ?  (Read 2832 times)
KA4KYI

Ignore
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:46:12 AM »

I acquired a 2011 CRV SE and have been having a challenge find a way to run a power cable to the battery from the passenger compartment.  My 2006 Element was a piece of cake compared to the CRV.  I have been on several of the Honda related forums and havent found any pictures on how others have done it.  With this being a new vehicle, I am not real wild about pulling out the drill.  I have looked at the other suggestions on how others have done it and the 2011 must have had some redesign done to it over previous models as I dont see what others mention in their messages.

Would appreciate any pictures or links that anyone knows about.

Thanks,
Ron Nutter
KA4KYI
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:23:29 AM »

Within the last week, I have answered this very question, right here on this forum.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,72584.0.html

This thread is just below this one a line or two.

KA4KYI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »

Thanks, I saw that link earlier.  Unfortunately Honda appears to have changed some things on the 2011 CRV SE.  I have spent almost 5 hours today trying to get the power cable from the battery to where I want the radio.  The best I can do was get it from the battery down the drivers side front wheel well.  Pulled a plug at the bottom of the wheel well but couldnt get the cable past that point to where I could find it.

I pulled the carpet up in front of the drivers seat and some of the plastic along the edge of the carpet.  From another website, I found a link that helped me get this far but I cant get a path through the firewall.  Guess I am down to either ordering the service manual or paying the dealer to get the cable run for me.  I have already damaged one part of the plastic trim and I was trying to be careful !

Again thanks for the email.

Ron
Ka4kyi
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »

I haven't looked at the 2011, but the hole I mentioned earlier is there on the 2010 which is essentially identical.

If all else fails, the best place to enter the cabin is through the floor, just to the inside of the center console. Obviously, you have to grommet and seal the hole, but when you trade, no one will know it is there unless you tell them.

Over and through the fender well is okay most of the time, but Honda insulates theirs very well. I did help a friend get the wiring through the left kicker panel on his Pilot and around the styrofoam insulation, but it took me nearly 2 hours (I thought I was good at this sort of thing before that exercise!).

Sometimes, things are just hard!

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:29:08 PM »

One thing to always consider is take it to a local high end stereo installer. Usually for about $50 they will snake some really large guage cable into the cab of your car and fuse it to the battery. They are also a good local source for high amperage and high guage fuse blocks. They are used to high current applications with the big stereo systems that are popular today.

I have a local shop here that actually knows RF and does some local volunteer fireman's radio installs. They do real clean and professional work and often for alot less that it costs to do it yourself if you count the cost of your time.

Bernie
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 06:23:48 AM »

While I agree with you Bernie, I'm not sure just any stereo shop can do the job correctly. A well known shop in Houston, wired a Honda Civic from the battery to the trunk using a piece of neon red, vinyl covered wire. They laid about 6 feet of wire on the trunk mat. No ground was run, and no fuse on the battery end! They charged the luckless amateur, $125.

K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 09:11:38 PM »

Good point Alan! When I've done that I've either handed them the wire I wanted or put it in writing up front exactly what I wanted. My battery is in the back where the radio control unit lives, but I had a extra set of power leads run into the passenger compartment and under the passenger seat, for my t-hunting equipment. I gave the installers a roll of 12 gauge red/black zip cord and taped two notes that said one end here and one end here. In my case I terminated it myself, they just hide the wires.

Also make sure you indicate how much slack you want on each end.

Bernie
WA9AFM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »

Went to my Honda dealer today and found out how to route cables from the engine compartment to the passenger cabin in a Honda 2011 CR-V.  

In short, through the fender well.  Although there is foam sound insulation in it, there is room at the top of the fender well to run cable.

First, on the driver's (or passenger) side of the engine compartment where the firewall and fender well meet, there is a plastic cover which is easily removed.  There is a plastic 'rivet' which holds it in place.  This little sucker will fly when you pop it so keep an eye on it.  Remove the cover and, with the driver (passenger) door open, look from the engine compartment through the top of the fender well and you should see daylight.

I discovered a 'worm' would pass more easily through the space when insert from the door side.  Once the 'worm' was in the engine compartment, I taped the coax and power cable to it and pulled the bundle through.

If you are going to mount gear under the seats, pop the inside door threshold first, then the side panel, and route your cable.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:52:06 PM by WA9AFM » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: